Allgemeine SS at war and peace

UK scene, discussion. Post events here too.
erikbozwo2

Re: Allgemeine SS at war and peace

Post by erikbozwo2 »

Reich Crispies wrote:
What about W-SS re-enactors having Hitler portraits at displays? Or drinking tea out of swastika mugs, or portraits on them aswell?
Is this something you feel W-SS re-enactors do that Heer re-enactors dont?
Interested in your view of this as from a UK re-enactors perspective, I have only seen this sort of item on small "for sale" tables and not on displays.
No i'm ok with waffen ss, as long if the impression is believable. But I don't get the point of having a Adolf Hitler portrait in a display, when allgemeine ss is " not done ". As if i'm correct the algemeine SS was there to protect him. It would be like allowing a killer pitbull in a childrens play area, and then forbidding a leash for it?
CDB taking it way too serious!
Ropes

Post by Ropes »

erikbozwo2 wrote:
Reich Crispies wrote:
What about W-SS re-enactors having Hitler portraits at displays? Or drinking tea out of swastika mugs, or portraits on them aswell?
Is this something you feel W-SS re-enactors do that Heer re-enactors dont?
Interested in your view of this as from a UK re-enactors perspective, I have only seen this sort of item on small "for sale" tables and not on displays.
No i'm ok with waffen ss, as long if the impression is believable. But I don't get the point of having a Adolf Hitler portrait in a display, when allgemeine ss is " not done ". As if i'm correct the algemeine SS was there to protect him. It would be like allowing a killer pitbull in a childrens play area, and then forbidding a leash for it?

The Algemeine SS to protect hitler? I thought that was the leibstandartes job.
Reich Crispies

Post by Reich Crispies »

I don't get the point of having a Adolf Hitler portrait in a display,
Neither do I, but as I said, I havent seen this. Do you see this on a W-SS display somewhere?
Birds of Prey Do Not Sing
Dietmar

Post by Dietmar »

I have seen the odd one turn up. Bizarrely enough, usually in a trench system. Quite why someone in a trench would bring along a framed portrait of Uncle Adi, God only knows?
Me, I stick up the occasional 1940s nudey postcard. Of a lady of course!
Reich Crispies

Post by Reich Crispies »

Dietmar
Was this a W-SS display or a Heer one?
barryG

Post by barryG »

We have a no Hitler photo policy in our group :wink: quite why anyone would want a pic of his ugly mug on their stand is beyond me, especially when theres loads of pics of Ingrid Bergman about :D
Dietmar

Post by Dietmar »

Reich Crispies wrote:Dietmar
Was this a W-SS display or a Heer one?
Unfortunately, I can't remember with enough certainty to say yes or no. As I said earlier, doesn't really float my boat and I haven't given it a huge amount of thought. Is this becoming an issue by any chance as I'm unaware that it has been previously?
Reich Crispies

Post by Reich Crispies »

No not at all.
Having not seen this sort of thing myself, and it being atributed by erikbozwo2 to W-SS re-enacting specifically, I was wondering if you could remember the display.
Storm in a tea cup I supose, so rather than harp on about it, I'm dropping the subject.
les hearn

Post by les hearn »

i only highlighted the issue with allgemeine
:wink:
95th nacht..attached 85th gebirgsjeager

have enigma ,will travel.
Reich Crispies

Post by Reich Crispies »

And rightly so Les.
This has been a distraction and one I am guilty of!

Allgemeine? Mark me down as "Against" :wink:
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

There is little that gets my back up more.
I cant help it but I always respond to seeing the uniform in the same way.
WANKER!
I have never seen it done well, there are always faults. Beer tent, Beltring, this last year, there was a couple of tools in the uniform but without shirts, just a t-shirt under the tunic. They were loving the malcontent they were generating. Sorry if that was you but you are a tool/plank/cock. [normally you would see 'there is no other word for it' but in this case there are so many suitable words. Mostly base Anglo Saxon.]
I suggest a policy of 'zero tolerance' for these goits. Make them aware they are not a valid part of WW2 living history and re-enactment. Dont threaten, just inform them they are not welcome, not a part of our hobby. Exclude them from conversation. Step away from them, suggest to bar/security staff they are not wanted and inform organisers that 'that' black uniform should not acceptable. Treat them as you would the originals, as dysfunctional, disillusioned, social misfits.
barnaclebill

Post by barnaclebill »

Not often I agree with you but well said.
Matt, 85th Gebirgsjager, part of the '39-45 Society'.
JDR

Post by JDR »

while dealers sell these uniforms, there will be people turning up at events wearing them.

The uniform doesnt bother me but its the people that wear the uniform that doesnt do the uniform any favors would be ok imho if they were portrayed correctly and not a walking Nicolas morigi catalogue.

he problem is is that many of these people that wear these uniforms are paying members of the public and whos ever on the door taking the entrance fee from the punters wont know or dont care what they are wearing be it a railway event or war and peace. Also some may get changed once in the show.

guess they do it for the shock value.

Banning the uniform from events and beer tents could open up a can of worms as organisers or "bouncers" wouldnt know the difference between the black Allgemeine uniform and black panzer uniform or the black early walking out uniform for the LAH and SSVT.
And that boys is how you take a penalty.
les hearn

Post by les hearn »

JDR wrote:while dealers sell these uniforms, there will be people turning up at events wearing them.

The uniform doesnt bother me but its the people that wear the uniform that doesnt do the uniform any favors would be ok imho if they were portrayed correctly and not a walking Nicolas morigi catalogue.

he problem is is that many of these people that wear these uniforms are paying members of the public and whos ever on the door taking the entrance fee from the punters wont know or dont care what they are wearing be it a railway event or war and peace. Also some may get changed once in the show.

guess they do it for the shock value.

Banning the uniform from events and beer tents could open up a can of worms as organisers or "bouncers" wouldnt know the difference between the black Allgemeine uniform and black panzer uniform or the black early walking out uniform for the LAH and SSVT.

good points there jon

uniform dont bother me either
again as you say its the people who wear it
they know full well what they are doing
especially the guys at war and peace this year

they aint reenactors they are just out to **** it up for us
95th nacht..attached 85th gebirgsjeager

have enigma ,will travel.
barryG

Post by barryG »

I must admit that when I first got into this hobby I couldnt understand the animosity toward the wearers of Allgemeine uniforms, but having seen plenty of them now and met and spoke with them I fully understand peoples intolerance. Ive met one guy who wears it occasionally who is actually OK but the others, like Stigroadie has said... wankers, likewise SD.

Ill never forget the twat at Detling last year in SD who catching sight of my wife and I gave the Heil Hitler cry and Nazi salute, we ignored him and he said to the member of the public he was chatting to that we probably werent reenactors as we never saluted back :lol:

Return to “UK reenactment and events”