Derbyshires Number 1 Living History Event!!

UK scene, discussion. Post events here too.
Gott Mit Uns

Re: Derbyshires Number 1 Living History Event!!

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

Hoffman Grink wrote:
the 4th reich wrote:Hi Ho

Just got back from this event, and thought it was really good for there first try.

Lola Lamour was excellent.

I noticed a few of the trade stands that were usually at peak rail were there. And for £3 advance booking for re-enactors bargin!!

Hopefully they will get bigger and better over the next few years. :D
And some gonk will know enough about his Mauser not to have to ring me for consultancy work when I'm out dogging!

I put my handup to that one Paul. But then its been 3 years since I had done that...without thinking I cocked the weapon and forgot to put it on half safety. Alas the problem was solved within two minutes thanks to a quick phone call for you. At least one gonk got to learn how to field strip her K98 the RIGHT way :lol: I'd been showing the lads how to do it all weekend as well, alas, even more embarressing.

Anyway. The lads really enjoyed this event, very quiet, some disorganisation from the top, yet shed loads of potential for the future. I urge more re-enactors to support this event - especially as events are what you make of them.
For example; it was annoying that we couldnt dig trenches, nevertheless we tried to be inventive with our display and worked around this issue with the lads going out in twos and conducting mine laying. Which proved scarily effective. So for us, we had a right good time.

As a living history group, its not often we get to attend dances, but in order to support the organiser we apeared. And I know I certainly enjoyed myself. Lola Lamour is also a very good entertainer, and I would say that for those who enjoy this after hours aspect of our hobby, you would really love her performances.

Tom.
The "gonk" - who knows a man who can fix a k98 problem - especially from his own experiences!!
Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
KDF

Post by KDF »

I noticed a few of the trade stands that were usually at peak rail were there. And for £3 advance booking for re-enactors bargin!!

Each to their own,but paying to get into an event when you are adding to the event is def not a bargain.

Ermmm you pay to get in a show ? If you are adding something to a show I'd expect to get in for free, and if putting on a display then getting paid for it, these are money making events so I'd expect to get something in return.
Founder member of AFRA.
Gott Mit Uns

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

KDF wrote:

Each to their own,but paying to get into an event when you are adding to the event is def not a bargain.

Ermmm you pay to get in a show ? If you are adding something to a show I'd expect to get in for free, and if putting on a display then getting paid for it, these are money making events so I'd expect to get something in return.
Hopefully next year a more conveniant entrance fee could be arranged? But then you've got to be in it to win it....so I guess actually turning up to the first airing of the event allows for the kinks to be ironed out in the future.
Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
KDF

Post by KDF »

Gott Mit Uns wrote:
KDF wrote:

Hopefully next year a more conveniant entrance fee could be arranged? But then you've got to be in it to win it....so I guess actually turning up to the first airing of the event allows for the kinks to be ironed out in the future.
Well that's not an unfair comment, but how about if you look at what other shows do, and this not being his first event ( as in the organiser ) then he should know how to do it already (?).

I'm all for new shows, esp in my locality, but there was little to no info, I'd already had a heads up from a trusted source it was not well organised, there was nothing in the local media, and having it the same weekend as another two events in Derbyshire was not perhaps the best way forward ?

Here is to next year and a price on the gate that encourages the public to even go look see......
Founder member of AFRA.
NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

So Did many MOP's turn up then or was it mainly Re-enactors?
Id sooner be 20 minutes late in this world than 20 years to soon in the next
Gott Mit Uns

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

The event wasnt rammed with people, but it wasnt empty by any means.
Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Good so the word will hopefully get around for next year
Id sooner be 20 minutes late in this world than 20 years to soon in the next
deviouswolf

Post by deviouswolf »

I popped in for a short look on saturday morning , the infresttructure looked top notch with the organised parking, marshalls, porta loos but it would be unfair to make a comment on the event from an observers vuepoint as this was 10.30 am saturday and was very quiet at that time, I noticed right away that modern tents was eracted right next to period tents so that looked odd in itself.

No doubt with its location and space and the large hill if used as a battlefield would make a great battle specticle. Perfect for members of the public being able to look downand across.

with no displays alowed to be dug in ect that takes away the magic for me as im no fan of bowling greens. seeing both venues over the weekend I have no doubt that should more content and oganisation happen at Ripley has much more potencial for the future than peak Rail.
If the units that that had gone to peak had gone to ripley then that would have been an excelent show, no doubt in my mind would have lived up to its name apart from the bowling green issue.

I carried on to peak rail, numbers on the public side seemsd a little down on last year and the absense of traders was very obvous,Unit and vch numbers seemed also to be down but what was there was top notch.

No doubt with its location and space and the large hill if used as a battlefield would make a great battle specticle for spectators
Chomley-Warner

Post by Chomley-Warner »

The 16th SS had a great time. Much has been covered before on what could be done better - advertising (to both to the public and to reenactors) and information dissemination (web site, email, telecoms prior to event). We would have liked to have seen a PA system to let the public know what was going on where and when, and a full timetable of events for the PA system to be put to best use :lol: as well as more thought to display/stall layout to get a good flow of public around the field.

Talking to Ade I was horrified by the hoops local councils put organisers through (I would have liked to have thought a council would do all in their power to facilitate local events - maybe next year there will be fewer council employees to find things to do/test :wink: ). That and the farmer's concern over his grass (we had to push hard just to have a camp fire - this was a 'living' history event after all!). If it were me trying to put on this event I'd have given up at the first hurdle questioning whether it was worth the hassle!

That all said there was a lot right with the event - car park organisation was good, site access and location was fine, staff were very helpful and friendly, the site has loads of space for expansion (OK, filling out), loads of clean toilets, daytime and evening entertainment was good. It was a very friendly event, none the worse for being multi-period (although WW2 was predominant). I can't see any point in opening the event on Friday next year and I'd question whether £10 per head for the public was good value for money this time around (heh, I remember the days when we had young kids, carting them around at weekends for 'something to do' and spinning out the day with a nice picnic - I didn't see anyone getting picnics out for the kids at this event, is this alien to the latest generation to parents?). We were given as much space as we wanted, although in retrospect we would have positioned differently.

Given there were two events within 10 miles of each other you would have thought it would dilute the footfall. I don't think it did - many people went to both events (as each event should have provided enough entertainment for a days outing). I was talking to an artist client who was at Ecclesbourne Valley Railway (not too far away) and that railway event was heaving. The weather was fine, so no excuses there either. So I'd say the no 1 priority for next year (the 16th will be there) must be publicity to the public and exhibitors/traders and not relying on word of mouth and a few leaflets.

So, was this "Derbyshire's number 1 living history event"? Yes, it was. Well, more accurately, "Derbyshire's number 1 multi-period living history event on the weekend of 7th & 8th August 2010". :lol:

Edit: one of the highlights, having an interesting chat with a Normandy 44 vet who, at the end of the conversation threw me a salute as I outranked him. I nearly burst into tears. :oops:
Attachments
IMG_7989a.jpg
IMG_7989a.jpg (108.09 KiB) Viewed 5581 times
Gott Mit Uns

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

Well said

It was nice to meet you guys at the weekend, and we were all very envious of your radio display....and of course your fire! :lol: 8)

Tom
Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Dave 16th

Post by Dave 16th »

Gott Mit Uns wrote:Well said

It was nice to meet you guys at the weekend, and we were all very envious of your radio display....and of course your fire! :lol: 8)

Tom
And to you Tom,it was a pleasure to meet you all.I to agree with all the above a.. few tweaks..a few more groups..and they will come.
Here's CW having a chat with a Normandy Vet...and one of myself.
rsz_031.jpg
rsz_031.jpg (122.85 KiB) Viewed 5564 times
rsz_1014.jpg
rsz_1014.jpg (102.94 KiB) Viewed 5554 times
the 4th reich

Post by the 4th reich »

Hi Chomley-Warner

The Friday was not open to the public it was for re-enactors and stall holders to arrive, set up and have a drink and music on the evening.
MANNERS COST NOTHING!!!!

Dave 16th

Post by Dave 16th »

the 4th reich wrote:Hi Chomley-Warner

The Friday was not open to the public it was for re-enactors and stall holders to arrive, set up and have a drink and music on the evening.
The posters may need to go the tweaking list then..and all the road signs...6th 7th and 8th
derbyshire.jpg
derbyshire.jpg (254.2 KiB) Viewed 5529 times
the 4th reich

Post by the 4th reich »

Think the poster does need tweeking lol

When i spoke to ade before the event he told me that friday was for re-enactors and stall holders only... :(
MANNERS COST NOTHING!!!!

Dave 16th

Post by Dave 16th »

:) It will all get sorted next year...i was there from Thursday and enjoyed it.

Return to “UK reenactment and events”