Huertgen Forest Private Battle

UK scene, discussion. Post events here too.
GRAUWULF

Re: Huertgen Forest Private Battle

Post by GRAUWULF »

Gents prior to my final message tomorrow

I would like to impose a cessation of hostilities between Axis and Allied forces briefly between 12:00 and 13:00 on Sat. Reason being we have an 88 year old British Army WW2 veteran who would like to meet you all. I have said that he is more than welcome and we will afford him every courtesy. If someone with a jeep can offer to drive him to the various lines that would be appreciated and I'm sure we can between us offer up some kind of memento for his visit. He recently lost one of his old comrades and I'm sure we can do him proud. He has asked can he wear his ribbons and beret!!I believe he was one of the units who liberated a KZ. If no-one has any objections I'm sure we can do this small thing for an old man
Thankyou all
Chris
Cpl "Fritz" Hodgson
Axis 44
12 SS Hitlerjugend
(yes Ive finally gone over to the darkside!!)
Heute wir sind Roten, Morgen wir sind toten!!!
GRAUWULF

Post by GRAUWULF »

Right I am away to site now mobile signal is hit and miss dependant on where I am.
The weather here is superb we,ve had no rain since Monday and the forecast is good.
Remember NEAREST sat nav is NG34 0AT (the SPANBY turnoff is half a mile up from there) but the event is signposted from the main A52 as HUERTGEN and then as you turn into SPANBY and then the event itself.
Safe trips to everyone you need to be at the event no later than 0800 on Sat - latecomers see John at the armoury on site.
I will be there from now if anyone wants a head start.
All the best
Chris
Cpl "Fritz" Hodgson
Axis 44
12 SS Hitlerjugend
andy85th

Post by andy85th »

Had a great time out in the woods, big thanks goes to Chris and his team. Strange doing Yank. Will be back next year.
robin

Post by robin »

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks to all invovled for your hard work. More next year I hope
Martin Webster

Post by Martin Webster »

I was gutted to have missed this, i had been looking forward to going for months. Unfortunatly my missus got made redundent on Thursday so could not justify spending close to £100 to go on the weekend as every penny will now count untill she sorts somehting out.
Hope to be on the next one though.

Martin
Martin Ernst

Kp.2-PzGren.Rgt.60-116.Pz.Div "Der Windhund"
http://www.windhund.org.uk
The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.
(Murphy's Law)
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

A big thank you to Chris for organizing the event, another big thank you to Martin for shifting the kit in the Landy. It was great to battle with some top class German units! Well done to all that took part!

Regards,

Gary.
S.A.S.A.B.
Society Against Splinter A Bandoliers

Find The Frontline Association on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheFrontlineAssociation
GRAUWULF

Post by GRAUWULF »

Well finally I have got chance to post!!!

Many many thanks go to Andy for his tireless work before and on the event organising once again first class enemy kampfgruppes.

For Kev and Dave stepping up to the mark as experienced Axis commanders.

o Gary,Ian,Bryn and all over Allied section leaders for organising a first class offensive and defence on the Allied lines.(Loved the guys reconning in the jeeps).

Neil thanks for working the pyro at last minute!! To John and Tom for providing first class weapons - as usual.

Andy musson for providing tentage,sandbags and all manner of MOD kit for event support.
Dave B for manning the registration tent and his spot on signage.

Martin and Sam for continuously ferrying kit both Axis and Allied to the lines.

Chris Major for ferrying Chas the 88 year old veteran around the lines - he has said he will remember that for the rest of his life and also how we all as re-enactors made him proud (on both sides).
To Nick for some first class photos and also to George and Rachel for their documentary filming.

Most of all to the guys who turned up, got organised and made it a thoroughly enjoyable event.
It was nice to see the usual faces and many new ones and despite the usual small niggles everyone worked well together.

I know many of you travelled great distances especially "Mad Mats" in his dodge wc from Sweden!!

For a first event at this site it went really well,will continue to improve and we have lots of potential. The landowner and myself are already gearing up to improve permanent features so expect some larger trench/bunker systems with sand bags and covered corrugated roofs and larger improved carparking and we are expanding into the other half of the woods for a number of scenarios.

The weather was kind however I think most would agree that even in wind and rain we would have been sheltered deep within the forest.
To those who didn't attend you missed a great gig and will love the next one!!

Prepping now for our mid March "A Shau valley" battle as discussed with Gary,Ian and Steve M which a number of you are up for something different which will be in "Off Topic" to stop anyone griping!!!
The next WW2 will be by popular request a summer Normandy scenario probably in June rounded off by a final winter event at close of season.

Once again nice to see so many of you and will see you all very soon!!!!!
Cpl "Fritz" Hodgson
Axis 44
12 SS Hitlerjugend
SPW

Post by SPW »

May I add my thanks to Chris et al for the massive organisation effort that went into this......danke schoen!

And a special thank you to Martin and Sam for the lifts up and down with kit, MGs etc........much appreciated, thank you very much!
352nd

Post by 352nd »

LOST AND FOUND

Left in the back of landy after event were:

A pair of M37 German woollen trousers, approximentally size 34" waist. No name written inside it or anything in the pockets to distinguish the owner. Unsure of the maker, but they aren't sturm, they look quite well worn, so I would say they're a few years old. They were coated in the mud, so I've washed them, so its got rid the majority of the mud. If these are yours, send me a PM me. Remember I know who was at the event and in the back of my landy, so if you're trying to claim a free pair of trousers, don't bother.

A sandbag (I know its nothing much), believed left by an allied group. Again PM me if you want it back otherwise it'll join the sandbag collection.

I'll be at Malvern at the weekend, Stoneleigh next year or you'll either have to wait until the next show or postage at your expense.

Cheers
Martin
Stabsgefreiter Martin Hetch-2nd Panzer Aufklärungs Abteilung, Grossdeutschland.

Return to “UK reenactment and events”