Victory Show 2010

UK scene, discussion. Post events here too.
carentan

Re: Victory Show 2010

Post by carentan »

Damn, one of the best shows and highlight of the re-enacting year :roll:
Hanging up my Knochensack for now, it's been a good war!
ssparatrooper

Post by ssparatrooper »

i have only ever been once and it was perhaps the best event for reenactors i have ever been to, it is a crying shame that it is not on because i was looking forward to going.
Hans Gowert

Post by Hans Gowert »

heart broken
Pug42

Post by Pug42 »

Anybody know why?
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG
ringer

Post by ringer »

It`ll come out soon enough David.

man what a blow to the season .. this event was the best in the calendar.

lets hope this particular phoenix rises again
Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

I agree with SSParatrooper, this show had the best public battle I'd ever been involved in during my 11 years of re-enactment. What a shame it has been called off as I was looking forward to being strafed at this year's show.

Let us hope it is resurrected in the future otherwise it will be a great loss to the re-enactment calendar. I wish everyone involved the best of luck for the future and hope that any problems can be resolved.
'Heia Safari' Facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/341661532588540

JDR

Post by JDR »

Taken from the pozzi forum
Taken from the local paper The Leicester Mercury

Victory Show is cancelled

A popular Second World War festival featuring battle re-enactments, aviation displays and 1940s military gear has been cancelled.

The Victory Show, held on a 60-acre site in Cosby, will now "cease to exist" according to organiser Steve Pepper.

He said there were a number of reasons why the show, which attracted more than 10,000 people last year, was being scrapped.

"It takes a long time to plan and takes a lot out of you. I have a young family and the business on the farm," said Mr Pepper, who hosts the event on his farm, in Croft Road.

"It was going to be a one-off but we've done five years. It's getting bigger and bigger and costs more each year. People just don't have the money and we can't keep asking the same people for help.

"It's taking over more of my farm and my business so we decided to have a rest. The event is now going to cease to exist."

The news is likely to upset military buffs and Second World War historians who would have been looking forward to the show, scheduled to have taken place on September 11 and 12.

Mr Pepper said: "There will be a lot of people who are disappointed but it's just one of those things. We had one good year last year but we had to cancel the year before due to flooding so we've had our ups and downs. But isn't it nice to finish on an up?

"We had 10,000 people there last year and it was a very successful event. It's a shame it's gone but we decided as a family and as a committee it was time to call it a day."

Chairman of the Broughton Astley Royal British Legion John Bligh said: "It's an event that attracts a lot of people.

"It's a shame because it puts Leicestershire on the map. I know people who have been in the past and they say it's an extremely entertaining affair."

Last year's show raised more than £12,000 for a number of charities, including Loros. The Groby Road hospice had planned to stage its grand raffle at the event but is now looking for another venue.

Loros senior fund-raiser Adrian Walker said: "It is such a shame that a large successful event will not be able to go ahead this year.

"The Victory Show has been one of the best re-enactment shows I have ever visited and Leicestershire will have lost a top-class event.

"Last year £6,000 was donated to Loros from the show.

" I would like to thank everyone, particularly the Pepper family whose land was used."

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/n ... ticle.html
And that boys is how you take a penalty.
Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

It is indeed a great shame but I also empathise with Steve. Running a small re-enactment group can be quite sapping at times, running a huge national event by comparison obviously takes even more out of one's life.

Thanks for some fond memories, Steve. I also wish you and your family all the very best for adding positively to our hobby over the years.
'Heia Safari' Facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/341661532588540

deviouswolf

Post by deviouswolf »

Hoffman Grink wrote:
deviouswolf wrote:Which side of the field is being raised out of curiosity , the road side would upset the ones who don't like paying to get in lol
In front of the Christmas Trees which will really make it a bit tricky getting good photos with no punters in the distance :cry:
You make sure you come see me this year and we will get you in the right place for some more of those cracking shots you compose.

gutted two fold now

Return to “UK reenactment and events”