Trowbridge - has anyone ever been?

UK scene, discussion. Post events here too.
Schäfer

Trowbridge - has anyone ever been?

Post by Schäfer »

I'm sifting through various invites for next year's events and working out which ones to attend.

Has anyone ever been to the show at Trowbridge, Wilts, and what's it like, please?
'Heia Safari' Facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/341661532588540

Pug42

Re: Trowbridge - has anyone ever been?

Post by Pug42 »

Don't do it Kev!!

We did it 2 yrs ago - worst event ever attended! Reenactors were placed in a public park on a well used route between the towns nightclubs and the local council estate... we had to guard our gear all night against thieving chavs and drunken poles... no security, no veterans around (which we thought was the point of it all?) and the most unappreciative crowd asking idiotic questions during the day. We all swore afterwards... "Never again!"

I'm sure others will add to my comments.... basically we were part of a large fair, amusement rides, craft stalls etc... really out of place. The SWB's were booked in with us and arrived all the way from Wales... arrived with their Bren carrier, sussed out the scene, were singularly unimpressed and turned round and f*cked off home!!!

:evil: :evil:
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG
nelz

Post by nelz »

'
..got to agree with Dave,..... "don't go there Kev !! "..... not for us in any shape or form!

They asked us again to attend this year with vehicles etc........ no chance !

...it's a fooookin joke of an event !!

The Yorkshire Wartime Experience http://www.ywe-event.info/
yorkshirewartimeexperience@live.com
elitemilitaria@live.co.uk
Mobile : 07413-707121
Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

I spoke with Maryrose Mantle today, she is main co-ordinator for the Trowbridge event for the local authority.

I informed her that the U-Boat Society wouldn't be attending for the 2010 show, the main reason that we had already provisionally agreed to attend another event elsewhere.

However, she assured me that 2009's event was a great improvement on 2008's show where a number of problems had cropped up. 2010 will see an even bigger improvement still, so it seems that like all events, lessons have been learned by the organisers and the show will get better for everyone concerned.

That being said, she has asked me to appeal for more groups to book in with her if they have a free weekend next veteran's day. It is in aid of the veteran's and the local authority will be working hand-in-hand with the Royal British Legion. She is a very friendly, welcoming and amenable lady so please give her a call.

Her details are:-

Maryrose Mantle
Community Development Officer
E: maryrose@trowbridge.gov.uk
T: 01225 711103
M: 07866698278
F: 01225 775460

The event website is:-

http://www.bafvc.org.uk
'Heia Safari' Facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/341661532588540

Ritter.W

Post by Ritter.W »

This is the town where I live and ive got to agree Trowbridge park (where these events take place) isnt the best location, as was said before its very close to the towns main two nightclubs and so there would be drunks wandering around aswell as chavs.
You would also have to keep a very careful eye on your equpiptment, even though there is a police station right next to the park its very rare that you will actually see a police officer on patrol.
Walther Ritter.

Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

The U-Boat Society attended the 2011 event this past weekend and I can only state what we experienced. Everyone was extremely friendly and accommodating towards us and every member enjoyed the weekend.

There were no problems experienced by us at all, there were regular police and security patrols, etc, and the public and veterans seemed to appreciate us being there. In fact, despite being an Axis group, we were welcomed by all and sundry. Thanks also to the organisers for providing a beer tent and entertainment on the Saturday evening for the exclusive use of the participants.

If your group is at a loose end with nowhere to go on the corresponding weekend in 2012 then I would suggest that you give the event a chance. Below are a selection of pics:-

Pug42

Post by Pug42 »

I'm relieved for you Kev - they must have learned from experience as it was a few years ago we attended!
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG
Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

Pug42 wrote:I'm relieved for you Kev - they must have learned from experience as it was a few years ago we attended!

Hi Dave,

It's a shame your group had a bad experience, I guess all those involved have since learned from that time. Hopefully I'll see you at Beltring in a few weeks time.

Kev.

Return to “UK reenactment and events”