PRIVATE BATTLES - A "Man Thing" or a Noisy Weekend Out?

UK scene, discussion. Post events here too.
Hoffman Grink

PRIVATE BATTLES - A "Man Thing" or a Noisy Weekend Out?

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Following on from Meyer's excellent thread asking where Private Battles have gone - I'm motivated to start this thread -

What do you see a private battle as and what do YOU want from a Private Battle?

Here's MY view and opinions...... just that - not PD laying down law - just My Views....

Private Battle
A weekend away from the public where Living Historians can exercise field skills to live as comfortably as possible using period equipment and tools as well as eating as near period food as possible cooked under field conditions.
A weekend away from the public where Living Historians can engage each other using fieldcraft and tactics to give them an understanding of perhaps what was involved for combatants in WWII.
A weekend away from the public for Living Historians to bond personally and group wise in order to better present to the public a greater understanding and a more honest approach to their hobby.
A weekend away where Living Historians profit by enduring a miniscule amount of hardship, overcoming small obstacles and delivering personal triumphs. Thereby keeping the flame alive for both their interest in the hobby and the legacy of those who fell victim to WWII.
A weekend away where FRIENDS create something special which passes into campfire banter and sometimes legend..........

My formula for a good LH Private battle? (not necessarily in order of importance)

A good venue with a carefully researched and written script.
INVITED participants who agree to abide by the ethos of the event and participate fully - taking on board the more boring/unpleasant aspects such as cold, hunger, discomfort, boredom.
Participants prepared to stick to orders/scenarios and see where it takes tham rather than circumventing the "rules" and rushing out to "kill the enemy" at all costs
A good team of organisers prepared not to engage in frontline duties but to oversee and co-ordinate the event from start to finish.
Living Historians who are prepared to furnish rear echelon skills such as cookhouse, security, medical facilities..... to support the whole event
Small emphasis on firefights and large emphasis on carrying out objectives (after all - that's what soldiers do - obey orders)
Responsible behaviour from participants.
Geniune interest in the event being staged and not making the right noises "just to get in".
Men behaving like men.
Participants with enough fieldcraft to be able to establish a waterproof, warm base of operations and live in it for 36 hours minimum.
Participants who can eat mush having prepared it properly using the minimum of equipments.
Good safe weapons skills.

That's by no means comprehensive and could be added to but I'd be interested to see other people's posts - ON TOPIC - about Private Battles....... If it's constructive we could come up with something - and before it starts - this is NOT B'F v Airsoft........ It's the ethos of a Private Battle - what it's there for and what people should expect and bring to the table.....
Franz repper

Re: PRIVATE BATTLES - A "Man Thing" or a Noisy Weekend Out?

Post by Franz repper »

Herr Fwbl A good post and that is most of what I want from a weekend away living in the field .And as we are told that war is 80 to 90 % of the time waiting for combat
ImageImageImageImageImage
Chorlitz|12.SS|

Post by Chorlitz|12.SS| »

Great topic,

From a private battle I like a good script that involves long patrols looking for the enemy, the use of tactics to battle against them also the use of recon troops to scout ahead (Mereworth with kitkat,RAU and Andy the minder, an episode i will never forget) after the long wet days fighting go back to camp then dig a shallow hole drag my zeltbahn over the top and try to get some sleep without frezzing to death. A great weekend which for me is more living history than sitting on display drinking tea.
les hearn

Post by les hearn »

pd ...gotta say
bang on there fella
simple as ....
95th nacht..attached 85th gebirgsjeager

have enigma ,will travel.
wolfsangel

Post by wolfsangel »

I think the essential requirement for a successful weekend os for all involved to buy into the spirit properly.

Like PD said, no point having people make all the right noises just to get in and then F it up for evryone else.
Frontschweine, Regiment 409
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Hmmmmm 125 views to date and not many opinions..... usually the case when a "serious" subject arises....... I wonder why?
mikebie

Post by mikebie »

Indeed. I prefer the realism aspect than sitting on a display answering the old 'Is he a real German general then?' question. I've done my time in the military and waiting is a significant part of military life, so that is realism.

IMHO a well scripted, properly monitored and strictly limited private battle is why I got into LH in the first place. I know the public display aspect is quite important in itself in terms of education, experience and sharing of knowledge, but the well run private battle lends a little more experience and equips one better to inform the public. Provided the participants are serious about what they're doing and get into the spirit of the exercise.

I enjoy hearing different opinions on kit, history and personal experience and it enriches the hobby. I also personally learn a lot.

Not to mention the odd beer around the fire with like minded eccentrics!! LOL!

Bring on the realism, I say!!
Paulkd

Post by Paulkd »

Me wearing an origional mantal, eating "mush" at fort amherst ( winter 09)and loving it!!!
I was mocked for not eating a pizza or using the kitchen to heat my food....

Me at Mereworth 08, wet cold and just spent the night with my krad....
Very very happy in both pics....

My event catering....

I hope that gives an answer?
Society Against Splinter A Knochensacks

You buy them to push, if they run its a bonus......

Mystery panzer combi of the year!
carentan

Post by carentan »

PD, All of the above we already do or are prepared to do. Even when the enemy goes home early we stay in the field over night... Just that Airsoft isn't my chosen pathway, nothing wrong with it, just horses for courses.
Hanging up my Knochensack for now, it's been a good war!
les hearn

Post by les hearn »

must admit
again pd is right

al these views and only a few words spoken

how disapointing

over 125 people who have viewed this ...why not say at least five words
95th nacht..attached 85th gebirgsjeager

have enigma ,will travel.
dagda

Post by dagda »

I agree! Im not really the stand on the display and explain stuff, for me! It is not only the kit and uniform its the experience! Whether its sleeping in a tent at minus 20, or running on empty in the pissing rain, that is just as important!IMHO
You're losing.you're losing, you're losing your vitamin c

Egyptian Kings packing their things!!

I keep this picture to keep my hate strong!

http://www.heavenandhell.org.uk

Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

People obviously dont like telling PD he is right and correct?
But I think he is on this.
Gott Mit Uns

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

Dudes got the right formula indeed.....
Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

I will comment again as I was talking to some one who no longer uses this forum as he said that reenacting has changed ,its now taken over by people how dress up and take photos of them self in there bedrooms or front gardens (his words not mine )
I think that the best way to explane to any one about how the soldiers lived ie to LIVE IT !!! ok we cant shoot each other but we can try and live like the did Suffer the same way .Paulkd hit the nail on the head with his photos as did dagda with his comment and I know for a fact the dagda has been out sleeping in a tent at -20c I was there I am not trying to say we should try and turn this into a my dog is blacker than your dog via photos
But freezing in your uniform finding the best way to keep warm at night in your fox hole ,waking in the morning piss wet through cold hungry then your on the right path to tell the MOPs what it was like .
ImageImageImageImageImage
hansritter

Post by hansritter »

I think Paul is on the money here, I was at the break out from the Don event this year & Operation Varsity and loved every moment.
Feldgendarmerie Hauptfeldwebel Johann Ritter.

Return to “UK reenactment and events”