PRIVATE BATTLES - A "Man Thing" or a Noisy Weekend Out?

UK scene, discussion. Post events here too.
JDR

Re: PRIVATE BATTLES - A "Man Thing" or a Noisy Weekend Out?

Post by JDR »

How i look at it is this, more people want to do the 3B's as Paul calls it than the living history battles other wise Petes and Pauls events wouldnt have to to get cancelled due to lack of support. You only have to look at the turn out at SBGs battles to see this.
Also some have tried to do some thing in between the both trying to appeal to all.

I dont have anything against either battles ive just grown out of both of them like Steve Martin says i rather have my comforts at events from now on and thats my choice as its my hobby and i think thats the problem as it is a hobby you cant make guys turn up. If they get up on the Saturday morning of a battle and look out the window and its pissing down and they say **** it im staying in bed then thats fine that their choice as they havnt signed a contract, they arnt forced to go to any event be it private and public horses for courses i guess.

When i 1st started out reenacting all those years ago battles were the 3Bs then about 4 years ago the living history private events kicked off. Then battles for one reason or other have taken a nose dive 101 different reasons lack of land more choice of what to do over the winter months battles or overseas trips due to cheap flights, or like many other periods bunk up for the winter with the odd training weekend. Cost of getting to events including reccession loss of jobs etc.All these area major factor in the hobby.

I do think its shame thou that events be it blats or loving history have to be cancelled due to lack of interest as some one has put alot of time and effort and i guess money into putting on an events for us all.
Now there is a battle being penned in for next year that will get reenactors turning out and the reenactment world talking if it comes off.

Jon
And that boys is how you take a penalty.
Pete Skillman

Post by Pete Skillman »

Now PD,
Spot on with what your saying, the new reenactors believe battles are that.
Its proving hard to persuade weaps to let them stay out past 18.00hrs...
I have had rumours put about alreday on this events like its been binned or I have invited ww1 German groupo just to queer the pitch etc...
No much commeraderie there!..
Defo have a chat when I am back and sort out a "Hard Core Grooup/Reenactor" list and they get the invites..as you say I have had the groups who talk the talk then when they turn up, well lets just say a Landy with a branch covering it is not what I can unobtrusive in the field,!...lazy MFs cant even walk into the field carrying their own shiite!... makes me weep!.
Embarrassed to be with them not what I call reenacting,being tested over night with the rain pissing down your neck and sitting in a hole you dug slowly filling up soon teaches you where you went wrong and next time how to go about it.Seen blokes leaving their weaps outside in the elements, wondering why its spotted rust in the AM!!!.
BOB and Pvt Ryan has flooded the scene with good and bad quality reenactors instead of the slow filtering process of the past 20 yrs.
Pete
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

I wouldn't mind having a crack ot one of these "loving history" events!!!!! What say you SKillers???? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pete Skillman

Post by Pete Skillman »

Working away today I have been mulling over the subject... I was accused on another Forum couple weeks agoof living in the 80s, I think the chap ment I was refering back to things in the past etc.. to help push my posting/points of views, I did not respond to the chap as I thought it was a pretty silly thing to say when he reenacts a hobby based on 65 yrs ago!...History guides us to the future.. NO?..
BUT maybe he and the others have a point, maybe this is the way for the hobby to proceed and dinosours like me bail out, public shows are growing in number and scale,reenactors are coming from all walks of life, some fit some not so!...in body and mind!!..
Airsoft is a good way forward but might as well wear modern army kit , no way could I enjoy that wearing plastic goggs and firing away,I geta kick from waering correct kit even down to the underwear,digging a reasonable hole might take most of Saturday but thats what happened,
Cant say I have cancelled any event yet, moved the dats about to please others and the one in April is still on going, have sourced around 30 allied Yanks from 3 groups, enough for 3 rifle squads.just right me thinks.
If they all turn up :roll:
Pete
hanser

Post by hanser »

I personally like to turn up in any weather but thats probably because i`m f@*king crazy about the hobby. or just crazy? those who know me might be able to clarify!!! there is a problem with the weather and some re-enactors but the way i see it you get what you want out of this hobby. i personally like to experience what those brave men went through as much as we can imitate without using live rounds, or letting the likes of PD have some real big bangs!!! private battles are not for everyone but i`ve done 4 this year and had a great time at all of them. however being part of Dance Reich everyone knows that we like a party and have a few cheeky vimtos of an evening. would a soldier in a safe environment do the same?
I think if i took a poll with the guys in Das Reich at this present time it would sway to private battles rather than public events. pvt battles a man thing or a noisy weekend, probably a bit of both with a chance to re-enact without a set script or forgone conclusion and without compromising to entertain the public.

Dave
Matelot

Post by Matelot »

I enjoy both aspects, living History and public events. Each one offers a different sense of enjoyment and satisfaction.

However, to pick up on what Jon mentioned, ref turning up etc. I do believe that when a person or group say they will trun up to, or support an event, that they are actually entering into a verbal agreement. They aren't legally bound by anything, that is true, but, they should at least honor their interest...

OK, there have been times when it is just impossible to fulfill THAT agreement,granted. However, when it is just plain apathy, then those individuals should stop and realise that their actions do actually affect those who do make the effort to turn up. It can sometimes make or break an event.

Manny :|
Pete Skillman

Post by Pete Skillman »

Spot on with that one Manny,
Had one group go from saying 15 were going months earlier to the Thursday night before it went down to two,varying splendid reasons :roll: , ... , so they did not bother either!,,,never invited them again.
Thinking about it , for me its wheather people have got over the "must win the weekend" fixation that Paintball/Airsoft aim for, I am happy to have a shooter but not shoot, dig a fox hole and make it weatrher proof,do a reconm in rain, eat correct rations etc.. BUT have the potential of being hit.Some still do Blank firing reenacting and try their damdest to win, ignoring shooting that would normally send people scurrying away or for cover, MG42 opens up....., attack it or runaway... :?:
Luckily most groups who attend Pip Pk events are wise and happy to pull away when it gets silly or stand off.Not shot calling is a great method to keep the ball rolling and NCOs with a bit of grit willing to blow the whistle and retreat. Pete
JDR

Post by JDR »

Had one group go from saying 15 were going months earlier to the Thursday night before it went down to two,varying splendid reasons , ... , so they did not bother either!,,,never invited them again.
This is one on my points exactly, how do you make thats if you can make members turn up to events be it private or public?

How many times has it started out with x amount of guys and its dwindles down to just a few.

same goes for the likes of any hobby when i used to play sunday league football the start of the season in training there were loads that would turn up then as the season and training got under way the numbers dropped off. same can be said for example of stag do's you ask your mates whos up for a jollies some where. You say get 15 lads saying they are up for it and over the course of time how many drop out for one reason or other.

I guess its just human nature this happens in all walks of life.
Chomley-Warner

Post by Chomley-Warner »

Well, I suspect you might get some moaning from participants because they haven't had to do it in the past but the way we have always done it is to i) make them pay in full in advance and ii) have a visible booking list iii) get them enthused via forum activity

The booking fee is non-refundable and this concentrates the mind. Firstly because they don't make a casual booking, they make a commitment and secondly if closer to the event it looks a bit like rain they will think twice about not showing up as they stand to lose cash.

If, in the lead up to the event, someone can't make it (there are plenty of valid reasons why people can't make events!) then they can sell their place on to someone else. This means they don't lose their money and also someone else gets a chance to attend. Win win.

A visible booking list both encourages participants to book as they see places vanishing but also they can see mates booking and this encourages attendance too.

We do on occasions have people not show on the day but this is unavoidable - family crisis, illness and the like - and we do often have a flurry of exchanged places in the couple of weeks prior to the event as they realise attendance is impossible BUT we do have an almost entire compliment of attendees. Now then, our events range from £25 to £40. And it is entirely possible if poor weather is forecast (for example) that someone decides to lose the £40 and keep dry that weekend. But chaps are motivated and enthused and in practice it doesn't happen.

For an example of how we do it here is a booking thread http://www.ww2airsoft.org.uk/php/phpBB2 ... 7&p=149621 and an event section where people are informed and motivated http://www.ww2airsoft.org.uk/php/phpBB2 ... m.php?f=61

As you generally organise event attendees via group leaders then I'd suggest group leaders don't get involved in handling payments on behalf of members but concentrate on motivation - get the members to pay up directly.

Just a thought!
Matelot

Post by Matelot »

And a "great thought" it is!

Gets my vote :!:
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Yeah - get re-enactors to pay up front I'd like to see that!!!! :P
grenmartens

Post by grenmartens »

JDR wrote:.............. when i used to play sunday league football ..........
Bloody hell Jon... what was it back then; a brown leather ball with a lace in and jumpers for goal posts? :lol:
JDR

Post by JDR »

grenmartens wrote:
JDR wrote:.............. when i used to play sunday league football ..........
Bloody hell Jon... what was it back then; a brown leather ball with a lace in and jumpers for goal posts? :lol:
Towse was team captain :lol:

Return to “UK reenactment and events”