Did anyone see Lofty-Boy at Detling?

UK scene, discussion. Post events here too.
Gren-Schell

Did anyone see Lofty-Boy at Detling?

Post by Gren-Schell »

I am sorry, but I must say something. If Lofty is out there, please feel free to comment
lofty boy.jpg
lofty boy.jpg (6.9 KiB) Viewed 6779 times
The Scenario: Normandy, France 1944, the Bocage. Fields between tall hedgerows. Small lanes, lush green fields. The Allies are pushing forward from their bridgeheads. Initial German forces have been overrun. Units are rushed to the area to stop the advance and prepare for a counter-attack. Elite Waffen-SS and Paratroopers are moving in. The trap is set.

Combined British and American forces are cautiously advancing. They have come up against the tough Waffen-SS veterans before and burnt their fingers. Besides, there is a minefield to clear first and then…

Up pops Lofty-Boy from “It ain’t arf hot Mum”…. Lovely tropical Afrika Korps uniform, complete with pith helmet, and orders the first FJ unit to open fire. The ambush is sprung… all hell is let loose…..

WTF was Lofty-Boy doing in the middle of that field (Normandy ’44)??? What were you thinking?

I’ve said it before and I will say it again… forget all the armour, the pyro, the camo gear, the tactics, and all the hard work that everyone puts into getting their impression right… the thing the public will remember was Lofty-Boy and his mate (even brighter tropical uniform). I am not joking.
A Waffen-SS veteran spoke to us after the battle, and the first thing he said was WTF was that in the middle of the field? He should not have been there it ruined the impression.
Any views on the subject guys, you were all there… what did you think?
It's not real... it's called re-enacting!
Hoffman Grink

Re: Did anyone see Lofty-Boy at Detling?

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Wasn't here but I think I can guess who it was.......

Was there no dress code? No one on the door to check for trainers and jeans?

Hate to say it but Victory show has a dress code - Western European Theatre of Operations - our ace mates from 16-SS were consulted and they have Green Stuff and Smocks...... At Briefing dress code will be explained -

Sing Loveley Boy Sing........ What is yoo doing on my battlefield? :twisted:
Dave 16th

Post by Dave 16th »

Hoffman Grink wrote:Wasn't here but I think I can guess who it was.......

Was there no dress code? No one on the door to check for trainers and jeans?

Hate to say it but Victory show has a dress code - Western European Theatre of Operations - our ace mates from 16-SS were consulted and they have Green Stuff and Smocks...... At Briefing dress code will be explained -

Sing Loveley Boy Sing........ What is yoo doing on my battlefield? :twisted:
Yep we always take our WETO kit...DAK and Tropical look the bizz but best kept out of a normandy 44 battle me thinks.
Dave 16th RF-SS
reddevil1311

Post by reddevil1311 »

It was happening on both sides - Normandy, june 44, yet nearly all of the US troops had M43 jackets and some had M43 trousers (jackets did not reach the first troops until Holland, and to the majority of troops by the Buldge. The trousers did not reach the majority of US troops until April 45....... :| )

I know that Joe Public probably won't know this, or care, but how difficult is it to take your jacket off for the battle and go in your shirt and trousers only - it would be more authentic!

I thought that the Saturday battle was terrible - the Allies did not follow the script and no-one "died". Sunday and Monday were much better.

Well done to the Germans who looked very impressive (especially from my "lying down in a dead position" point of view! :) )

Ashley
"I am a white male aged 18 to 45, everyone listens to me no matter how dumb my suggestions are"

www.reenactor.se (FHF - Sweden)
http://combatengineers.forumup.org/
Jim

Post by Jim »

I was there as a spectator and i have to say the tropical kit stood out like a sore thumb and turned the whole battle into a bit of a joke with many a spectator commenting on why were some wearing yellow kit when they were supposed to be waiting in ambush.
Its a shame as you have groups such as the SBG who go to such extremes to make sure there guys are always spot on but the crowd will just remember the Canarys on the field.
SWB
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

Gren-Schell wrote:Up pops Lofty-Boy from “It ain’t arf hot Mum”
Was he blowing a whistle a lot?
Gren-Schell

Post by Gren-Schell »

Jim wrote:I was there as a spectator and i have to say the tropical kit stood out like a sore thumb and turned the whole battle into a bit of a joke with many a spectator commenting on why were some wearing yellow kit when they were supposed to be waiting in ambush.
Its a shame as you have groups such as the SBG who go to such extremes to make sure there guys are always spot on but the crowd will just remember the Canarys on the field.

Thanks Jim.... and there you have it from the horses mouth (no offence mate!) :wink: :wink:
It's not real... it's called re-enacting!
reddevil1311

Post by reddevil1311 »

I did have to laugh when they forgot to bring a whistle to Monday's battle and the comentator had to "whistle" over the tannoy system! :lol:

Ashley
"I am a white male aged 18 to 45, everyone listens to me no matter how dumb my suggestions are"

www.reenactor.se (FHF - Sweden)
http://combatengineers.forumup.org/
Casbah Rock

Post by Casbah Rock »

Stigroadie wrote:
Gren-Schell wrote:Up pops Lofty-Boy from “It ain’t arf hot Mum”
Was he blowing a whistle a lot?
Stigs got it in one !
SS-Rottenführer Kotzur
Zweite Kampfgruppe
1. SS Pz. Div. Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler
Meine Ehre Heißt Treue
Hennig

Post by Hennig »

[quote="Casbah Rock"][quote="Stigroadie"][quote="Gren-Schell"]Up pops Lofty-Boy from “It ain’t arf hot Mum”[/quote]

Was he blowing a whistle a lot?[/quote]

Stigs got it in one ![/quote]

:lol: Are we thinking on the same lines Seb? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: funny enough i am watching Charlie and the choco factory 8) :lol: :wink:
SS Schar Hennig Der FG
SS-Feldgend Tr 1.SS Pz. Div. Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler
SECOND BATTLE GROUP
Crazy Feldgendarme

Post by Crazy Feldgendarme »

From my lofty perch on KP1,s 222 i thought it was a large yellow mushroom growing on the field, i tried to "tell it to the trees" but they wernt listening.

:lol:

Dave
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

GeFoPo
Gren Broich

Post by Gren Broich »

the yanks looked ok to me,they were at least in green! but yes yellow is RIGHT OUT! The only thing that stood out more was the big red fire engine in the WWI battle just beforehand.
PROUD MEMBER OF THE ALL SINGING,ALL MARCHING S.B.G.
Paulkd

Post by Paulkd »

There was a female russian soldier in the monday afternoon battle as well
Society Against Splinter A Knochensacks

You buy them to push, if they run its a bonus......

Mystery panzer combi of the year!
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

Paulkd wrote:There was a female russian soldier in the monday afternoon battle as well
Thats quite permissible, not common but it happened. Lots of tank crew and pilots but some infantry.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

I heard people kept deliberately trying to spoil the battle by repeatedly firing guns loudly..... sometimes at inopportune moments! :P

Return to “UK reenactment and events”