Swynnerton Debrief/Feedback thread

UK scene, discussion. Post events here too.
KDF

comms

Post by KDF »

Just for an idea...it would be nice to beable for both sides to have different "channels" so we cant listen in to each other?
Last edited by KDF on Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wilder Feger

Re: comms

Post by Wilder Feger »

Edited.
Last edited by Wilder Feger on Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Guns for show, knives for a pro'

Kelly McKeel - Facebook me!
DRK Nurse - Heidi Stöckel
Helferinnen- Heidi Stöckel
Sgt ATS
KDF

comms

Post by KDF »

The good thing about the "repro" radios is that its easy to maintain them,Battery wise.....NOT that the E.German/Russain ones are REALLY heavy!:)
Last edited by KDF on Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wilder Feger

Post by Wilder Feger »

Edited.
Last edited by Wilder Feger on Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sgt ATS
KDF

Post by KDF »

or use field telephones and radios?
Last edited by KDF on Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wilder Feger

Post by Wilder Feger »

yes, I am feeling fine.. better than fine.

Edited

Sgt ATS
Feldjager

Re: National comms

Post by Feldjager »

Pete Skillman wrote:Hellooooo
A guy in the 82nd LHA called Ian Agg is knocking out "Handie Talkies", He has an Orig, made a casting and now casts the bodies, he uses the civie Argos walkie Talkies that Andy is on about for guts, ,wires them inside the castings, paints them sticks an aerial and they work. I think Germans when captured from the Yanks used them?. However £100.00 a go which if you think about the work and the radio is not bad??!!. Cheers Pete
I have a repro Feld Fu f backpack set which can take one of the fixed frequency 2 way radios.

The easiest and lightest set to reproduce would be the 'Dorette' set - just find me more than 2 pactures of them in use in the field!!!
Feldgendarmerie Trupp 82 - http://www.feldgendarmerie.co.uk
Panzer Nachrichten Abt. 38 - http://www.funker.co.uk
Hauptverbandplatz 82 - http://www.hvp82.co.uk

LHA members
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Their use would be precluded Dave as they only came into use in October 44 So unless we were doing something like the Ruhr Pocket 45 or anything after Oct 44 we're fubard......
Radios are good but all this equipment is only as good as the people using it.....
We need to ge the basics first (Not addressed to Dave by the way...)
We need a change of attitude amongst those taking part. We need still closer ties between SNCOs of groups. we need more buy in and more awareness from those who will ultimately be responsible for the "running" of things.

Groups come "to play". SNCOS still like to take part and get some trigger time in.
If we can approach the whole thing and put in place a grown up structure - I know some wont and dont want to... fine..... - back to my previous - run something that caters for you and the like minded individuals - You ain't doing anything WRONG - you're just doing it differently
If we modify our events and have a "management" structure.... A board conceives, sets up and administers the event.
The board creates a management team of Group Heads and SNCOs.
Those GH & SNCO learn their part in the operation, rehearse it and refine it. Then they go out and facilitate it for their respective groups.....
Yeah - it's not real.... No, there is no fun in it... but with running a group coems responsibility.. If you wanna run about and blat, be a grunt....
Like it or not eventually it will be the only way to be able to put something like this on. By showing proper planning, care and responsibility, Because the Nanny State that everyon bleats on about will legislate against what we do now. There were injuries this weekend....... lacerations, sprains and breaks.... and I think we got way lightly. The previous gig I was on someone blew a hole in his thumb - long time re-enactor..... careless..... I've seen people have pyro go up as they threw it (Good on Pete for restricting its use on his gigs) I've seen people fall into UNFILLED Foxholes....... covered with last years fallen bracken...
We have to eradicate this by better control....
And I know what some out there will be groaning at.... I don't really like it any more than you..... but it's coming and before it's forced on us, let's do it..... (something I say a lot and get ignored about the same amount on)
Pontification on a forum is all well and good... But someone needs to take the bull by the horns and do it. Question is - will the ones who turn up go along with it..... experience tells me "To a point"... People always have and always will for my money do just what they want in this game...... for whatever reason.... and just as some spotty oik reminded me recently - There are no guardians of standards, there are no rulemakers, there are no chiefs - just a load of indians... and I AM NOT THAT MAN (thank ****!)
Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

This is a genuine question.

Out of interest, did anyone fall ill either during, or after, the event at Swynnerton?

Happy Easter to all of you.
'Heia Safari' Facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/341661532588540

Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Bit off the wall Kev????
No one from our bunch did but I think they already suffer from narcolepsy anyway!!!!!
LAH650 is a bit sick but I don't think we're talking about that are we????? :roll:
Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

Hi Paul.

It's a bit of a long story, but I've PM'd you anyway.
'Heia Safari' Facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/341661532588540

Pete Skillman

sWYNNERS

Post by Pete Skillman »

GOD!. Its not what they stored there after the war in the 50s is it?!!,I felt a bit sleepy 3 to 5 days afterwards. Pete
Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

Silly question Pete, but what did they store there after the war?

Crazy Feldgendarme

Post by Crazy Feldgendarme »

Having worked for the MoD in this area as well as being an ex Regular and TA soldier who has exercised at Swynnerton over many years. Not good to ask questions about this but if anyone has been feeling permanently tired, crapping well and had headaches on a regular basis maybe they should see there Doctor.

Ref an earlier post, as an Amateur radio operator i would suggest it is advisable to be carefull about radio,s and frequencies since "pirating" on someone elses frequency (particulaly a government or official body,s) can result in quite a long prison sentence. To be able to use "public/Commercial" frequencies (i.e. anything other that CB) and this includes the frequencies used by taxis, etc in most cases involves the taking of an exam and purchase of a licence.

Dave
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

GeFoPo
Alex
Herr Wissenschaftler

Post by Alex »

the Govt will only prosecute for either commercial or propaganda use. They do have the power to confiscate though and may do so at a whim. Illegal use of radio while though in theory conferring high sentences will not result in a criminal prosecution.

the same law applies to those using home "echo senders" for sending TV and radio thoughout the house from a central location, which are legal to buy but illegal to use. The same penalties do for "unauthorised broadcast". You simply will not be done for it, and unless you are broadcasting political messages for a purpose or are trying to make tax-free money out of it, the Govt doesnt care.

Return to “UK reenactment and events”