Swynnerton Debrief/Feedback thread

UK scene, discussion. Post events here too.
Jon Das Reich

Post by Jon Das Reich »

I remember Richard Underwoods unit years ago had some post war Russian backpack radios that worked and looked the part, but i guess like simon and les said used a modern version and build a shell around it.

Paul
i like the idea of unit cmmanders acting as umpires plus gives the groups NCOs a chance to work for their stripes plus most groups head sheds knopw each other so when communicating with each other there shuldnt be a problem.
KDF

comms

Post by KDF »

someone once made two back pack radios with some simple,short range (49 MgHz?) radios in them....would look and work quite well....the HQ section could have one that picks them all up? These were not multi channel jobs but I`m sure you could get them.

Have been looking at some which are copies of the small "Dora" section radios....used after the war they are VERY similiar....Any thoughts on this ? Would make comms beteween squads and HQ possible
k
paulmfjr2

Post by paulmfjr2 »

Paul
i like the idea of unit cmmanders acting as umpires plus gives the groups NCOs a chance to work for their stripes plus most groups head sheds knopw each other so when communicating with each other there shuldnt be a problem.[/quote]

Makes sense really - I like the idea of having a comms man in the unit but if he is 'killed' it leaves the unit with no comms so could slow down the action - unless the comms unit is passed onto another member of the unit.
Les - judging by the amount of individual groups at swynerton you would need more than 5 comms units unless groups were forced to join together to form 5 contained Kampfgruppe.

Paul
Salerno43

Post by Salerno43 »

Dom has a couple of these Ruskie radio's we trialled them at a training day, not only do they look similar but they work a charm.

Cost is around 100 quid ish per unit, batteries weigh a ton.

The hobby needs a dedicated coms group IMHO, we did a full phone set up at Mereworth with an exchange which showed it was worth its weight in gold, but also threw up some other questions.

Firstly, someone has to lay all the cabling - then retreive it.
Man the thing all weekend, if there's no answer at the other end whats the point.
some one to administer it, check batteries, cables, connections.

Better suited to a static scenario.

What about battle group commanders having CB based, but period looking radios with signallers.

Lets say for example:

Whoever looks after the Heer, has a dedicated signaller
As would SS, and FJ

Another one at HQ.

Would give us a nice edge over the Allies.

Commander umpires, is good to go, high rank would be the visible sign for others. Only issue is that mostly it's the commanders that take groups off on tangents in the first place. Its a good starting point though, probably the best option thus far.
LAH650

Post by LAH650 »

Not cold water...

just a thought...

Ex Military radios on a military frequency on a MoD base....

Commercial radio on commercial frequencies…

Are there rules/laws before we all go out and spend monies…

What about the two way hand held set’s from Argos, you can put multiple handsets on a ‘net’ no cost for calls, no frequency issues…
paulmfjr2

Post by paulmfjr2 »

you would need the Allies in on this aswell so we can have coms with them so they take their hits and visa versa.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Why are we still talking about taking hits? Is it so frigging important????? I'm bringing a bow and 200 arrows with suckers on to the next one!
paulmfjr2

Post by paulmfjr2 »

Sorry - taking hits is just a 'slip of the tongue' maybe 'react to fire' would be more appropriate. :lol:
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

BANG !
GOTCHA! YOU! BIG FALLSCHY! TAKE YER 'AT OFF!!!!!
paulmfjr2

Post by paulmfjr2 »

no you didn't I was hiding behind this small twig! and u can't shoot me cos I'm elite!!!!! :wink:
les hearn

Post by les hearn »

my point is merely so we limit the use of the phones.

you know to those who have the signals packs.

stops everyone demanding to be able to talk to the bosses :wink:

not on about fitting in a box but simply keeping it to a signals only basis.
95th nacht..attached 85th gebirgsjeager

have enigma ,will travel.
KDF

comms

Post by KDF »

Les,
I understand what you are saying....but if everyone is trying to use WW" period stuff, would it not look better if the comms gear looked like WW2 German comms gear? Each Gruppe/Zug could train one or more signals operators!

K
Pete Skillman

National comms

Post by Pete Skillman »

Hellooooo
A guy in the 82nd LHA called Ian Agg is knocking out "Handie Talkies", He has an Orig, made a casting and now casts the bodies, he uses the civie Argos walkie Talkies that Andy is on about for guts, ,wires them inside the castings, paints them sticks an aerial and they work. I think Germans when captured from the Yanks used them?. However £100.00 a go which if you think about the work and the radio is not bad??!!. Cheers Pete
les hearn

Post by les hearn »

hmmmmmmmm thats an idea pete :wink:

watch this space
95th nacht..attached 85th gebirgsjeager

have enigma ,will travel.

Return to “UK reenactment and events”