WESTWALD/ARDENNES LIVING HISTORY EVENT - DECEMBER

UK scene, discussion. Post events here too.
Hoffman Grink

WESTWALD/ARDENNES LIVING HISTORY EVENT - DECEMBER

Post by Hoffman Grink »

AFRA is setting up a radically different Living History Event. You do not have to be an AFRA member to participate but you DO have to be completely willing to abide by the dress regulations and equipment regulations as well as the format of the weekend in order to take part.

We are at present looking to get on board the following:

Command Staff - Non combatants who can successfully operate a rear echelon command post. Who can work together and co-ordinate, within the script, the actions and logistical support of front line combatants. You will also need to be able to fit into a predefined structure and work as a true team to achieve the objectives laid down for the operation. You also need to be able to set an example with your Living History skills and acumen. US, British/Canadian and German Re-enactors wanted for these roles.

Medical Staff - Non combatants to run rear echelon field hospital, dressing and clearing stations. Again operationg under a clear, predefined command structure, you will collect casualties on the battlefield (Wheeled transport if available) and treat them back at HQ. You will also judge combatants fit to return to the front and present them to the Command Staff for redeployment (shit I'm sounding like someone I know here!) - Joint US/British/Canadian wanted as well as German Medical Staff. On field medics will be needed also - You may carry a weapon but if you use it then you will be deemed combatant and liable to be attacked and shot. Sidearms will be for Personal Protection ONLY.

Field Kitchens - Non combatants to operate field kitchens supplying hot food to front line units as well as looking after HQ staff, Medics and patients. I think you get the picture - You will operate your field kitchen and may be required to despatch hot rations to troops at the sharp end..... under cover of darkness if necessary!

Drivers - Not joyriders but vehicle owners, operators of light wheeled softskins, light wheeled armour, heavy wheels (trucks) and in a couple of instances tracked armour - required to transport, deliver orders, replacement troops, bring in casualites and support assaults or defences of positions....... Can you work as part of a scenario? Can you live, eat and sleep with your vehicle? Consider coming to the first of its kind then....

Combatants - Nominally we are looking for 150 a side!
US Infantry and Canadian/British Infantry capable of going out into the field on Friday Evening in December, not whingeing or whining but digging in and getting ready to assault the Reich at Daybreak on Saturday Morning. (A tiny US Airborne element may be included if interest is shown No AB Brits though)
Germans - Heer, Volksgrenadier and SS troops who will arrive Friday and dig in ready to receive the coming onslaught in the morning. Living in Zeltbahns stuffed with straw, sleeping in greatcoats wrapped in a wool blanket - no fires for fear the enemy will shell your position. Being rushed from breakthrough to breakthrough to stem the advance....... (we may be able to squeeze in some FJ if there is sufficient interest)

WE are looking to end the easy life LH blats that have become part of our scene. We are looking to accept applications from people who come into this with their eyes open and accept some hardship for 36 hours. People who will turn up on time, no excuses or complaints, who will muck in and get their heads down and make it work. As long as you will fit in with your mates into a command structure which is as realistic as we can make it and are prepared to play the game fairly and earnestly then this is for you. IF you want to bring a camp bed and a lilo along with a case of pot noodles - stay away. If you want to whine about it afterwards -stay away. This is going to be hard core. We will have Health and Safety first and foremost. The organisers are going to take care of food, rules, organisation and all the niggles that usually blight these events. Swynnerton was about the best gig to compare this to in recent times. We are taking it a stage further.

Now the NEW and RADICAL BIT..... To take part you will need, as well as your accurate kit, field rations and a good attitude, a WWII airsoft weapon firing at accepted UK limits and some British Standard Eye protection! You have until December to obtain a rifle for preference but SMGs and MGs will be required. We are going to use airsoft weapons instead of blank firers and that means NO SHOT CALLING - when you are hit you are hit. Also it means that when shot at you will hear and see the near misses and have to react. No more hiding behind long grass. No modern weapons will be substituted - US, British and German weapons only. This is going to be a Living History Private Event where for possibly the first time ever - when you're shot - you feel it.

We will be writing up rules of engagement and what to do when shot. Wound and Death rules as well as what happens when you get back to the hospital. IF you buy into this, it will be a brilliant event. We are supplying the means, we need you to have a bloody good think and make several attitude adjustments - Then we need you to register your interests and come make this a truly groundbreaking LH winter event. Leave ALL Your preconceptions at home folks...... We want you to come with an open mind and leave with a good feeling and the sense of having acheived something. You will need relevant Liability Insurance to participate and to be an active, bona fide re-enactor but other than that it's open to anyone who will come and work with everyone else to create a believable scenario Friday to Sunday in what can possibly be the harshest environment possible in the UK - Winter in a Pine Forest under canvas!!!!! we aim to do it around the time ti was done for real - Those who can't be there can be with us.

Do you want in? There are already those who have said YES - so contact us with your offers of participation and we will start to fit things together - More information will be available on the AFRA News page in coming weeks/months.
Irland-redaktion

Re: WESTWALD/ARDENNES LIVING HISTORY EVENT - DECEMBER

Post by Irland-redaktion »

Fantictic idea! (hardcore love it) :lol: where in Britain are you staging this one? The only real problem here is that its in the dead of winter which means its possible that the roads in Britain could be ground to a halt.
GR916/15/14

Post by GR916/15/14 »

Hallo again,

PM Sent :D

All the best,
Nathan
Panzer Füsilier Regiment Großdeutschland
http://www.germansoldier.co.uk
Jack

Post by Jack »

I like the sound of this aswell, pm on its way pd.
"My wife had a go at me last night. She said 'You'll drive me to my grave'.
I had the car out in thirty seconds. "
GR916/15/14

Post by GR916/15/14 »

Hallo,

When we say 'Field Kitchen' do we mean like on wheels? From what I know original ones are Very Rare and have Large Cart Wheels...Post War ones have Small Wheels and a Mudgaurd!
I know a group in the US has an Original...

Original Type...(?)
Attachments
30-451-08-121.jpg
30-451-08-121.jpg (24.32 KiB) Viewed 7303 times
GR916/15/14

Post by GR916/15/14 »

Hallo again,

Not trying to take over this thread about field kitchens but...

It's the 2nd Panzer that has the original one...
Attachments
FK056.jpg
FK056.jpg (64.81 KiB) Viewed 7307 times
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Literally 2 minutes from a junction on the M1.
Nathan you are spamming the thread - please stop it.
JDR

Post by JDR »

I posted this on the pozzi forum so i guess i will post it here also

Bryn/Paul

As you have done some airsofting ( guess thats the term) can you post some links to any uk firms out there that sell the airsoft weapons for those interested in attending this event.

Also any pointers that potential buyers need to look out for like best guns and ones to stay away from and any other extras that they will need to buy etc etc

cheers
Jon
And that boys is how you take a penalty.
Heinz

Post by Heinz »

Chris at Northern Militaria is about the cheapest (£170 for AGM MP44's, compared to 200-230 elsewhere) and can get hold of the majority of shooters.

As to whats available for the Germans, the following list is a rough guide:

AGM MP44 (widely available)
AGM MP40 (widely available)
Tanaka K98 (widely available)
D-Boys K98 (widely available)
Shoei MP44 (HPA/CO2 - rare)
Shoei MG42 (HPA/CO2 - rare)
Viva MG34 (rare)
Maruzen P38 (widely available)
Maruzen PPK (widely available)
WE Luger P08 (widely available)

Soon to be released:

SRC MP40 (should be OK)
AGM MG42

Do I get to bring this along? ('scuse the uniform, it was 3 years ago and I was just starting out. it has changed for the better now :) )
Major Richard Heidrich: "Why do you want to jump out of a perfectly good aeroplane?"

Willi Schmidt: "When the Luftwaffe builds a perfectly good aeroplane, Sir, I shan't need to"
dagda

Post by dagda »

That sounds brilliant!!
You're losing.you're losing, you're losing your vitamin c

Egyptian Kings packing their things!!

I keep this picture to keep my hate strong!

http://www.heavenandhell.org.uk

Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Well it's early days and the site has been secured. It's been chosen for accesibility and proximity to hotel/travellodge but we are hoping that won't be needed!

Petrol station nearby as well as a fast food place but again this is NOT what we are about. Good access and good terrain is key.

Heinz - Of course - a 42 will be very welcome - we area hoping that the much vaunted ACM one will appear before then. We are not going to bother too much about weapons distribution on tis one although ammo limits will be enforced. Once the concept is established we will bring in rifle heavy TOA etc. for certain scenarios. First and foremost though - this is not going to be an airsoft game. It's Living History with airsoft weapons as tools. We will be leaning on airsoft for some of our structure and a few rules. What we will be doing however is incorporating what's been done for over 20 years at private events.

Won't say too much at present but WILL say that this is a departure from the norm. Two tried and tested elements are going to be combined to hopefully get a new direction and inject fresh interest. What will also be different is - This is NOT a pissup - this is true 36 hour, on stag Living History. We are not going to pamper to moaners and luddites - We are running the show and if folks don't wanna try it our way - it's the highway. On site offenders of cheating, creative gameplay or those who wanna come and booze it up with a roaring fire and a barbie will be told to leave..... We have done with the old........ This is a new direction adn it's going to be enjoyable for those who can get into the mindset. CiA have led the way. We will learn from them and with them and we will move the old private battles forwards using modern aids.

Thanks already for GREAT interest. I'm overwhelmed. The phone's non stop and the PMs and emails are flooding in.
Irland-redaktion

Post by Irland-redaktion »

Should everyone bring their own head lice for extra authenticity? :)
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Well - we might as well go off topic early on then -
NO you don't have to bring your own headlice - they are included in the weekend fee. However, Typhus, Dystenry and Bronchial Pneumonia can be obtained at extra cost but prebooking is essential.

300 places is a lot to fill and it's gonna be near Christmas - I think many will not really be up to this myself but we must try to provide something mustn't we? :roll:
dog green 1

Post by dog green 1 »

Having spoke to Paul on the phone and heard more about what he has planned this sounds like a cracking event. Could be tough given the time of year but it is only 36 hours and for those who take part I'm sure it will be a great feeling once its all finished. Hopefully this will be the first of similar events and a great way to end the re-anactment season.

As has been said I can supply various airsoft products. All metal, fully auto, you can see what the items look like in my Northern Militaria thread.

MP44-£170.00, extra mags £10.00 each
MP40 £100.00, extra mags £8.00 each or 6 for £40.00
DBoys K98, solid wood and metal. (shell ejecting which can be a bit of a bugger when skirmishing) £115.00

I am in close contact with suppliers overseas to keep me informed about any new WWII airsoft products so post updates of new kit as and when they appear.

Obvioulsy supply all the other Uniform needs Axis participants might need. Greatcoats which I'll certainly be wearing for this one available in several models for £85.00

Looking forward to this one. Really hope it gets the numbers it needs. A cracking way to finish off 2009.
"To a New Yorker like you a Hero is some sort of wierd sandwich"

Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Thanks Chris - And we are looking to have Chris as our "Offical Vendor" on site for the event (unless of course he wants to go off and get shot at!) - We aim to make this a proper job as it were. IF we get the numbers we get the money - If we get the money we aim to spend it ON THE EVENT - those of you who know us know that this holds true. People bringing kit and vehicles will receive as much assistance (financial and practical) as we can give within the limits we have.

DBOys K98s make good bases for custom Springers and Bryn is at present building one - On teh CiA forum there are some good threads concerning this and the more enterprising of you may want to embark on a springer project ready for December -

Advantages over auto? quieter and longer range......

More info after Evesham.

Return to “UK reenactment and events”