WESTWALD/ARDENNES LIVING HISTORY EVENT - DECEMBER

UK scene, discussion. Post events here too.
Alex
Herr Wissenschaftler

Re: WESTWALD/ARDENNES LIVING HISTORY EVENT - DECEMBER

Post by Alex »

sorry it did not work :(

maybe it was unappealing for allied re-enactors? there are a few about I hear??? hehe

The entire problem with this is, surely, it did not attract the allied community? Great concept, great background work, not enough homework :)

I Imagine next year lessons will have been learnt and this could be a major fixture on the calendar ... keep us all posted Hoff!
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

And I was trying to learn "Stille Nacht" so I could serenade the shivering allies in their foxholes!

I'm sure I will be shouted down on this... none of us should ignore airsoft. It may well be the future for private battles, maybe even increase the numbers taking part? It's alot easier to obtain airsoft weapons than a FAC!

I will watch this closely, as I am interested in where it goes.

Regards,

Gary.
S.A.S.A.B.
Society Against Splinter A Bandoliers

Find The Frontline Association on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheFrontlineAssociation
Steiner

Post by Steiner »

Yes, a shame it isn't going ahead, but keep your pecker up Mr Dalby. :) Perhaps something slightly smaller in scale might work - you know there are a lot of people wanting to do this.
"Stop that!!! Careful with my J-J!"
Gott Mit Uns

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

Alex wrote:sorry it did not work :(

maybe it was unappealing for allied re-enactors? there are a few about I hear??? hehe

The entire problem with this is, surely, it did not attract the allied community? Great concept, great background work, not enough homework :)

I Imagine next year lessons will have been learnt and this could be a major fixture on the calendar ... keep us all posted Hoff!
Thats abit of a sly dig Alex.... Strangely enough I cant remember the last event you organised.
Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Dave 16th

Post by Dave 16th »

It is a crying shame...but would we need allied forces what about just a combined Axis forces exercise.
dagda

Post by dagda »

That is sad!! But Its a great idea!! Well done Paul for all the work you put in! It wont be in vain!
You're losing.you're losing, you're losing your vitamin c

Egyptian Kings packing their things!!

I keep this picture to keep my hate strong!

http://www.heavenandhell.org.uk

Milische

Post by Milische »

Really crap news that this has been cancelled! Not done airsoft before and this event seemed to Tick all the boxs for me!
Keep it up Paul !

Steve Fjr6
carentan

Post by carentan »

A reliable Allied force can be a real show stopper, and it's happening more and more. Maybe small scale is the way forward for all battles at least for now?
Hanging up my Knochensack for now, it's been a good war!
PJ

Post by PJ »

Where have all the reliable Allied units gone???

There is a rumour going around that Pete Skillmans Pip Park event in April currently has NO Allied units booked in???

What has happened to the units that used to turn up to every battle and could be counted upon to play the game???

All I seem to see these days are the Blatt, Beer and Burgers type Allied units in Kevlar jump suits... Maybe I am just going to the wrong events???

Where did Glen Mallens 82nd Airborne go to? Or Biffos Hampshire Regiment boys?
Gott Mit Uns

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

See general topic > 'where did all the Private Battles go?'
Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Pete Skillman

Post by Pete Skillman »

There is a rumour going around that Pete Skillmans Pip Park event in April currently has NO Allied units booked in???

What has happened to the units that used to turn up to every battle and could be counted upon to play the game???

All I seem to see these days are the Blatt, Beer and Burgers type Allied units in Kevlar jump suits... Maybe I am just going to the wrong events???

Where did Glen Mallens 82nd Airborne go to? Or Biffos Hampshire Regiment boys?"

Cor Blimey!. Give a dog a chance!....Its early days yet.......Theres actually no one booked in yet apart from John Oxlade and ME!, ask your source to try harder to get his facts right!...the answers I am getting from allied units range from "show season has only just stopped, blokes are ker-nackered, let you know later on" ....to...... "Yes,interested let you klnow when weve had our meeting" ...
Whats happened to the units that used to turn up?... old age.Labour party,petrol,job loss...wives.... need I go on?...
LHA 82nd,= mate, most are heading towards their 50s!!..
Biffo has basically handed over the gloves to Byron,2IC... who is trying to get some fire into their bellies...I have Darren Collins from FJR6 to take on the Axis side of things,I am concentrating on locating and persuing quality allied groups for the event... email me if you have any "rumours" and I'll confirm/deny then you can print away....
PJ

Post by PJ »

Pete,

No offence meant or anything. Only repeating what I was told by one of the Unit leaders from WW2LHA.

I will be at Pip Park and if past events are anything to go by will be one of the highlights of the year.

It was just a valid question where have the decent allied units gone too? The old established units seem to have vanished to be replaced by units of three blokes who dont have a clue what day of the week it is!

Maybe German units just attract the more organised/ Hardcore LH types???

PJ
Pete Skillman

Post by Pete Skillman »

PJ wrote:Pete,

No offence meant or anything. Only repeating what I was told by one of the Unit leaders from WW2LHA.

I will be at Pip Park and if past events are anything to go by will be one of the highlights of the year.

It was just a valid question where have the decent allied units gone too? The old established units seem to have vanished to be replaced by units of three blokes who dont have a clue what day of the week it is!

Maybe German units just attract the more organised/ Hardcore LH types???

PJ
Hi PJ, Offence was taken BUT not for what you said but actually I have it from a mate that a certain LHA unit commander has put it about that I had invited a ww1 German group to Pip Pk,NOT TRUE and never would happen... now this I believe was done to scupper any idea of having any of his troops attend,HIS troops?... or equal members of a group?.., if you want to PM me on who you got your snippet from then if its the same bludger Ill have a word with him, quiet like!...no names no pack drill etc...Several times over the yrs spurrious rumours have been put about like Pip Pk cancelled/Foot and Mouth has closed the event down,ww1 groups been invited along (Happened at another event Ooop North as I recall?) Be interesting to see if its the same bloke?..Pete
carentan

Post by carentan »

Boy do they ever give up :lol:

I don't wish to spam PD's thread, but if the event fails to happen it won't be because of lack of on behalf of all the organisers. PD puts massive amounts of commitment into everything he does, so if his event can fall through then that certainly shows a change times.
Hanging up my Knochensack for now, it's been a good war!
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Nah - it's cool Darren - I don't consider this spam - In fact having just read Pete's reply above I am very intrigued - I'd heard that this was going on and Pip Park has indeed been a victim of the wonderful rumour mill of Re-enactment...... I certainly empathise with Pete on this - Exactly what I was encountering and so rather than risk a load of money (not my own so therefore MORE responsibility) on something that was being kicked in the ribs I/we pulled the plug.

Regardless of LHA or AFRA or WARS etc. I say if this is proven - name and shame - Because there is enough skulduggery afoot in this hobby (and always has been) without individuals restricting others. I thought this had died out but I'm obviously wrong! This was the reason we set up as we did - to allow people to break free of the control and bondage of these draconian (not aimed at LHA) outfits who have petty powermongers at their heads....... I have been accused of the lot - but hopefully have proved them all wrong.........

Back to private events - What do people want? Pete Skillman organises probably the best Living History Private Events out there at the moment - and people are undermining him? Unbelievable. This has further shaken my faith in putting in hard work for others. What is forming in my head is a system of registration for private battles - Sod opening it to allcomers - AFRA membership will count so there's no need for you or your lads to panic Darren! Non AFRA personnel are free to register and will then be eligible for attendance and the booking in scheme. My initial thoughts on going over content on this and other forums at present is -
A registration scheme to allow those wishing to attend private events organised by AFRA to do so.
A registered members only set up whereby we can ensure that only those willing to abide by and to support the event are eligible to attend.
Set up small events and come up with a scheme of aid to enable others to set up events to be attended by those who REALLY want to go.
Set up a booking system which makes it easy to register and possibly pay - also to gather details of the event (see the excellent CiA forum/website)
Plainly sod off the Luddites and nay sayers.

If Pete Skillman is reading this- I'd gladly share my deeper thoughts privately and work actively towards sharing the "scheme" or work with Pete to set up complimentary schemes (although I think one good one is better then two - no duplication of effort there)
IF anyone else is reading this who thinks it's a good idea and will diminish the potential for bad people to do bad things - contact me - I'm open to ideas.

If anyone reading this wants to whinge, whine and tell me how wrong I am or how crap the idea is or how it will not work - Sod off! Don't waste your fingers typing - I've been told loads of times before - I was told AFRA wouldn't go and wouldn't last 12 months - well the old one has been going 11 years and is heading for 12 - the new one is heading into its third year with 500+ members - Where are the naysayers there?

Return to “UK reenactment and events”