Any units or events in, around, or near central Alabama?

For all discussion about Axis re-enactment in North America.

Moderators: Wilder Feger, Jugendkrieger

Freebooter

Any units or events in, around, or near central Alabama?

Post by Freebooter »

Hello all,
I was just wondering if there were any WWI or WWII reenactment units in or near the Central Alabama area. I would love to go check out some good living history displays more so than a battle reenactment. I just like checking out all the neat stuff.
Thanks,
Freebooter
One Shot, One Kill!
txlssah

Re: Any units or events in, around, or near central Alabama?

Post by txlssah »

My unit has a Zug (Platoon) in TN, MS, AL, etc. area. Go to our website for events listings, you can also email our unit CO and he can put you in contact with the leadership in that area. http://www.lssah.com
National LϟϟAH (USA) http://www.lssah.com
Freebooter

Post by Freebooter »

Hello txlssah,
I went to the website and that brings back some pleasant and not so pleasant memories!! I belonged to that Zug with Lssah back in the early to mid '90s. I was in Quaddlebaum's "Zweite Gruppe", which were mostly from N. Alabama, with one or two from Fla and Ms. I loved it while it lasted, we had a blast! I completely outfitted my self with everything except the cammo stuff. That was all I lacked. I loved it and went to two events, a fight with the British to take some sort of Dyke and then an Eastern Front event up in Ky fighting some Russians. While on the way back we all stopped at an Olive Garden restaurant, and wore our uniforms in. Not one person even gave us a second glance, which really surprised me. I remember telling the guys how much I was looking forward to the next event, and recieving my Infantry Assault Badge, how excited I was, etc. and I remember when I said that my Senior Sgt., not Quaddalbaum but above him, looked at me sadly. I wondered about that. I was so into the unit and gung ho I even had the key in the shield emblem w/laurel on a tag on the front of my truck.

I found out why the ol' Sge looked at me funny a few days after I got home. I got a letter from I think the Bn CO canning me and kicking me out of the unit, to put it bluntly. He said that as I knew new members were watched, observed and sort of graded and that I had been observed during those two events and said I basically had failed the test so to speak. He said that perhaps I should find another unit less physically demanding. It really hurt me badly. I told him that I realized I was over weight but was working on it and that I would get over my feet problems with time. One of the reasons I am sure was that a time or two I was in such foot pain I could not keep up ( I was recovering from surgery on my foot and was not quite over it). I told him I could not imagine someone being treated like that in Civil War reenacting, which I had spent about 15 years in. In CW reenacting if someone had a physical problem they were detailed to guard the camp, etc, not kick their asses out of the unit!! I have never heard of such a thing!! It really hurt me and made me feel like a useless old man so I sold all my stuff and have never reenacted siince then.

But I still love WWII and axis history and arms and equipment. I am 53 now and at present putting both a German and Japanese impression together, just because it is neat stuff, and to make displays. I am still overweight so I have about given up on reenacting and finding uniforms to fit me. But it is fun wearing and handling the gear around the house though. One day I might try to find me a Volkssturm unit where older, out of shape people can fit in.

Does Quaddlebaum still belong to the unit? Is there a list of LSSAH peronell? I would like to say hello to Quaddlebaum and them.
Later,
Freebooter,
Millbrook, Alabama
One Shot, One Kill!
txlssah

Post by txlssah »

Wow, I am really sorry they treated you that way. I merged my unit with the National back in early 2003, I have never heard of Quaddlebaum sorry. I can ask around though and see if anyone has any contact info for him.

If you want, shoot me a PM with some names and I can let you know if they are still around?
National LϟϟAH (USA) http://www.lssah.com
Jugendkrieger

Post by Jugendkrieger »

If you go to www.atthefront.com look to the left hand side of your screen untill you see "WW2 Links" Click on that and it will bring up the largest list of WW2 reenacting units I have ever seen. I'm sure you will find something out there!

Marc
3pgd.org
Freebooter

Post by Freebooter »

Thanks y'all, I will check it out. I am at present trying to outfit myself both Japanese and German DAK. EVen if I don't reenact, it is a fun hobby putting together an impression. I want to eventually have an impression for German, Jap, U.S., English, Italian, and Russian.

But as far as Quaddlebaum goes, I heard he drifted out of it and possibly went back to CW reenacting. I went to the Ft. Knox armor museum a few years ago and of all things they were having a reenactment there and my old unit was there. I saw a couple of the old guys I had "seved" with. It was good seeing them. It has been since the mid 90s and I can't remember the names. Most were from N. Alabama with one from Ga, one from Ms, and one or two from Fla. It was a blast while it lasted. If I ever do get back into reenacting, like the man said in the letter, I would have to do something slightly less physically demanding. I have had surgery on one foot which bothers me to this day when I am up on it very long, not to mention a bad knee. I catch hell sometimes at work standing and walking around on that concrete all day (I work in a prison). Maybe a camp guard, cook's helper or a sniper sneaking around sounds good. Actually I am joking, if I got into it again I would give it my all I suppose.
Later,
Freebooter
One Shot, One Kill!

Return to “USA and Canada reenactment and events”