This is not good news.

General reenactment discussion

Moderator: Jaws

TacAide

Re: This is not good news.

Post by TacAide »

Pete Skillman wrote:I think this actually comes from higher up.....The organiser said that the EU were to start removing support for such events in the aim of getting the EU public to forget/ not commemorate the events of 39/45...to garnish a better Europe!!..
An interesting post.

Generally, the funds available to grantaid schemes for tourism are channelled by the EU through the European Regional Development Fund, Objective 2 programme with national governments allocating funds to local authorities in the various countries. While I take your point about WW2 reenactment there is no actual restriction on supporting such events, there may be local political or other objections but there is nothing ‘in writing’ that I could find.

Under the existing rules, a local authority may allocate aid to an existing business to improve accommodation and facilities and to community groups to develop visitor attractions including historic monuments. This last category also supports preserving and promoting European cultural–historical heritage sites and many of the smaller ‘bunker’ sites in Normandy are beneficiaries.

In essence, the project to be grant-aided must encourage joint tourism development, cooperation between municipalities, people-to-people activities, and joint cultural-historical events. In other words anything which increases tourism potential and encourages visitors to stay longer and return more often, supporting the local economy and environment, is to be considered. A reenactment group as such would not qualify for aid but a local organisation involved with the area could, potentially, provide financial support a reenactment event under some of the criteria above.

The grant criteria are not selective and I feel that if the climate is right and local businesses are taking a ‘hit’, the will should be there to put pressure on the relevant authorities to look at all business-generating schemes. Reenactment events in a ‘closed’ environment, such as a ‘bunker’ complex, for example, are a possibility. I feel if DMC could get permission, why not Maisy Battery?
les hearn

Post by les hearn »

[quote=". Some complained and you know the rest...Maybe some group of US reenacting are also a bit "bitter" seeing so many german reenactors for a commemo which is supposed to honor allied troops helping to liberate France...
this said, there is no need i think for german reenactors in french commemos.
If you want to reenact as a german, go to UK, USA or Spain, in countries that were not occupied and are logically less "fussy" about this particular subject.[/quote]

above is the didnt like

who said they are there to do anything more than comemorate the allied push to liberate europe.
clear case of he dont like us?
95th nacht..attached 85th gebirgsjeager

have enigma ,will travel.
von bock

Post by von bock »

i remember reading somewhere a couple of years ago, the EU was pushing for an out right ban on all ''Nazi'' insignia across Europe that every state had to inforce it and it was only two Eastern European states (forget which ones) demanded a ban on Soviet insignia if ''Nazi'' insignia was to be banned as far as i can remember it was dropped after that, dose this ring a bell with anyone?
SS KAMPFGRUPPE KNITTEL gustav.knittel@btinternet.com
"never argue with an idiot !!they just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
http://ww2reenactingireland.co.uk/
Jock

Post by Jock »

Tychsen wrote:http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/ ... ost2691508
Post 43
This law if it comes into force may well change the character of what we expect Normandy to be like.
Certainly it will kill stone dead the collectors fairs and related trade .
Some commonsense is required , this is plain stupid.
So the dominant capitalist west ban collectors fairs? Drive militaria collecting underground? I think not. small word removed. PD Mod.
I/II-AA Das Reich

ML.... I'll give it a try.
Shergar

Post by Shergar »

i would agree with les , tyschen , et al that banning something does not necessarily make it go away ,and that can be self defeating in the end . i understand the pros and cons of those that on one hand wish to see the end of nazi era insignia but that would only be sanitizing history . it is good to remember the sacrafice given but those in the pursuit of freedom and i think their sacrafice should not be forgotten .
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Hi Jock , I think you are dead right on that one .When the money stops coming in , there will be a quick change of heart .Hope all you Frundsburgers are keeping well .Keep in touch .

Kampfgruppe Sud:Irelands Largest German military vehicle and
re-enactment group
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Jock
So the dominant capitalist west ban collectors fairs? Drive militaria collecting underground? I think not. word gone! PD.
Word gone again PD , it does seem that a potential ban of sorts is being discussed - we will have to wait and see what comes from the French parliment - unfortunately politicans tend to have a pretty good record as far being egits go.
BTW - My comment was directed only at 3rd Reich related items.
Militaria collecting goes well beyond Germany 1933-45.
Are the French scarmongering , am I scaremongering - I don't know who the comment was directed at - as far as what may be made law in France let's just hope that a bit of wit is involved in the formation of any laws regarding the sale and ownership of 3rd Reich items and military re enacting.
As far as any scare mongering from me goes - I just am keeping an eye , an ear and an open mind on what is or may be likely to become lew in a country I like to visit

I would have to agree with Justin and TacAide who in common with what I have posted here and on WA , sees any draconian laws which may be passed can only be to the disadvantage of the region and to that of the French tourist trade.
Last edited by Tychsen on Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John Wilson

Post by John Wilson »

von bock wrote:i remember reading somewhere a couple of years ago, the EU was pushing for an out right ban on all ''Nazi'' insignia across Europe that every state had to inforce it and it was only two Eastern European states (forget which ones) demanded a ban on Soviet insignia if ''Nazi'' insignia was to be banned as far as i can remember it was dropped after that, dose this ring a bell with anyone?
Well, yes I do seem to recall that, it was all about banning any symbol which was to be found offensive but I also remember a bit regarding the anl or afa? being allowed to display their swastika badges and flags but it was OK because it was crossed out in a road sign type way :roll: :roll:
More recently though, do you remember the reports about BA banning the Christian woman from wearing her cross?
94-87 Ich bedauere nichts
57-93 Either put me in jail or kill me
Jock

Post by Jock »

Creative Moderation in action. :lol: quote="Tychsen"][quote]Jock
So the dominant capitalist west ban collectors fairs? Drive militaria collecting underground? I think not. Scaremongering.[/quote

Scaremongering , it does seem that a potential ban of sorts is being discussed - we will have to wait and see what comes from the French parliment - unfortuinately politicans tend to have a pretty good record as far being egits go.
BTW - My comment was directed only at 3rd Reich related items.
Militaria collecting goes well beyond Germany 1933-45.
Are the French scarmongering , am I scaremongering - I don't know who the comment was directed at - as far as what may be made law in France let's just hope that a bit of wit is involved in the formation of any laws regarding the sale and ownership of 3rd Reich items and military re enacting.
As far as any scare mongering from me goes - I just am keeping an eye , an ear and an open mind on what is or may be likely to become lew in a country I like to visit.

I would have to agree with Justin and TacAide who in common with what I have posted here and on WA , sees any draconian laws which may be passed can only be to the disadvantage of the region and to that of the French tourist trade.[/quote

And Ithouight I was paranoid.

Why open a debate and lay accusations?. Read again.

No words were harmed in the moderation of this post.
I/II-AA Das Reich

Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

More soothing of troubled browsquote]Tis gone !
Without actually destroying the sacred word...... (Only Nazis burn books - Don't they? ) :shock:
(PD Modding in his own inimitable style)
Last edited by Tychsen on Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jock

Post by Jock »

quote="Tychsen"][quoteJock
And Ithouight I was paranoid.[/quote
Jock , have we been introduced , do we know each other ?
Well in that case I will go first.
My name is james - i have been rading WW2 history for well on 40 odd uyears , i buy way too many books and as a result I have well stocked library of sorts.
I collect WW2 stuff much to the annoyance of my youngest who just views it as "nazi crap"
re enacting is a new thing to me , not a cornerstone of my life but good fun , I don't take it too seriously.
And as Heydrich (Ken. B.) said in "Conspiracy" And that is who I am
Now its your turn.

As it stands I am free from any paranoid ideation , you on the other hand do express some doubtful insight. :wink:
Why do you think you might or may have been paranoid ? :shock:

If our galic cousins are considering extending their ban on the display of 3rd Reich emblems , it will have an impact on me and if so I would like to know or at least be aware of it and what it will mean - I would like to see events like DMC running in France as such as that which Manny's lads ran in June - again as a visitor to France it would have an impact.
I can't see me going to France to re enact so this sums up where my interests in this potential legislation comes from.
Time will tell exactly what form it will take and what impact (or not) it may have on Normandy , events in June and those who visit with intersts either as collectors or as re enactors.

[quotejock
Why open a debate and lay accusations?. Read again.[/quote]
As far as scare mongering goes - govements don't really go in for that but if the French do it is the their goverment whom you must take it up with.
Accusations , I don't do them and I take from this that your reference was made towards the French ?[/quote

Here we go again. Mate get a life.

A Poem Entitled
SPARROWS

They're good
But not as good as The Red Arrows!

I thank you!
I/II-AA Das Reich

Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

At last I have found a way to make words literally PALE into insignificanceAs I
PD
Zen adviser to Boris Johnson!
Tis gone again !
Last edited by Tychsen on Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jock

Post by Jock »

And my final attempt at literary banality...[quote="Tychsen"Jock , lets call a spade a spade - go troll on someone else.
I have stuck you on the ignore listing seek your fun at someoneelse's expense.[/quote]

:lol: :lol:
Good coming from you!!

Now why don't you keep on topic?

Did it work? Did it make you all smile? I hope so......... Should the authors of the faded words choose THEY may withdraw delete, change, jollify or whatever - themselves....

Me? I merely provide a distraction and hopefully some abstract moderation without fallling off any fence I may or may not reside upon.......

Now - can we engage in a meaningful (if required) exchange regarding the Frogesque Prohibition of our Sacred Pastime on their hallowed shores? Mai oui!
:shock:
(PD moderating in green and neutral to keep the positive vibes alive!)
I/II-AA Das Reich

Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Time Gentlemen please - If necessary take it to Pms - Thread will be edited down and returned closer to the original topic after lunch..........

Thanks for your co-operation in advance.
PD (wearing a rather ill fitting Mod hat!) :lol:
Jock

Post by Jock »

Copy that PD.
I/II-AA Das Reich

Return to “General”