Innovative Event This Past Weekend

General reenactment discussion

Moderator: Jaws

sedition

Innovative Event This Past Weekend

Post by sedition »

Last weekend I attended a refreshing and innovative event that was unlike any other I’ve ever been to. What was unique about it? Mostly, it was NOT a per se tactical, but was certainly “hardcore reenacting.” In fact, if a (Brit) recon team had been successful in its mission, not a single trigger would have been pulled the entire day. Amazing. Clearly, this was something very different.

The scenario was a rear-area German command center with a temporary POW holding pen that held “actual” POWs. Some were even assigned an actual work detail! Guards were stationed at the POW pen. Patrols circulated the area for partisans and small-scale reconnaissance patrols by Allies (who were trying to gain info to base the NEXT event at that site off of). Event hosts went through painstaking-efforts to construct a temporary POW pen (hand strung wire). The recon teams didn’t know what to expect. The patrolling Germans had no idea what the Allies were up to, how many of there were, where/when they are coming from, etc. There was a very real sense of suspense, and anticipation that anything could happen at any time…far more so than any proper tactical I’ve ever attended.

For a long time WWII reenacting has been mostly focused on trigger-time tacticals. “War is 90% boredom, and 10% sheer terror.” It was great to see an event that tried to mimic something other than that 10%, and deal with the more mundane realities of daily life that comprised the world of the people we try to re-live. I hope to see more events like this in the future. A few photos are attached.

Processing POWs.

POWs being marched out for an actual work detail.

Bringing in an injured soldier.

Rear area outpost/check-point on a remote road.
"Up, up my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!" -The White Rose
http://www.3pgd.com
RKrieger

Re: Innovative Event This Past Weekend

Post by RKrieger »

This is innovative?

This is how it's done in Ontario, Canada

Each element has their own objectives, Objectives define Missions , Mission success or failure defines the next objective.

2 forces jerking triggers at each other for no good reason other that to make noise does not make a "Tactical" That is "gun tag"

Granted such events take a lot more time to prepare, and everyone must engage in the chain of command ( with more then lip service ) for it to work. But properly done, the intensity is far and beyond your typical skirmish in the woods.

Return to “General”