PC...oooh, no Germans please!

General reenactment discussion

Moderator: Jaws

Rosselsprung

PC...oooh, no Germans please!

Post by Rosselsprung »

A recent show in the fair County of Cork,Ireland, at the last minute after all the prep work and logistics had been done and dusted, gave notice that the presence of German re enactors would possibly be considered offensive by people so cancelled the participation. The portrayal of garrison troops in occupation duty from our nearest neighbour during our "not getting on" period of course hasnt ever been an issue...so a one sided show with a few temporary dressed up germans for measure was the result.
I met a fella from Israel at one show, gave the HQ display the once over and didnt have the slightest problem with it!
funny old PC world
Rosselsprung
Major von Kluge

Re: PC...oooh, no Germans please!

Post by Major von Kluge »

In Ireland as well now even though it was neutral! I find this surprising. When I was younger, living in Ireland, there was no particular anti German feeling over the war. There was no reenacting in those days, but I remember going to fancy dress parties dressed as a German officer and there were no adverse reactions. People just generally remarked on how smart the uniform was. Paradoxically, this kind of reaction seems to be getting more strong not less, as WWII recedes into history. I find the whole notion of political correctness anti democratic and anti freedom of expression. Surely, living in a democracy means we should be free to express ourselves even when others find what we say or do offensive.
Gummipuppe

Re: PC...oooh, no Germans please!

Post by Gummipuppe »

Rosselsprung wrote:A recent show in the fair County of Cork,Ireland, at the last minute after all the prep work and logistics had been done and dusted, gave notice that the presence of German re enactors would possibly be considered offensive by people so cancelled the participation. The portrayal of garrison troops in occupation duty from our nearest neighbour during our "not getting on" period of course hasnt ever been an issue...so a one sided show with a few temporary dressed up germans for measure was the result.
I met a fella from Israel at one show, gave the HQ display the once over and didnt have the slightest problem with it!
funny old PC world
I don't think it's very funny, really. More like sickening. So, you ended up with a bunch of reenactors on one side standing around with no one to fight on the other side. They might as well have called the whole thing off.

Perhaps the Israeli dude you met knows the importance of keeping history alive, even if it "offends" some people.

Major von Kluge wrote:.... Paradoxically, this kind of reaction seems to be getting more strong not less, as WWII recedes into history. I find the whole notion of political correctness anti democratic and anti freedom of expression. Surely, living in a democracy means we should be free to express ourselves even when others find what we say or do offensive.
I totally agree with you, Major. So, just because a few people might, by some wild stretch of the imagination, construe the sight of German reenactors engaging in a mock WWII battle as being "offensive," the reenactors should be banned and that aspect of history ignored?
SS - Panzergrenadier Philipp Keinezähne
12. SS Panzer Division HitlerJugen Midwest
www.12sspanzermw.com/

Return to “General”