Unsere Mütter, Unsere Väter... the german band of brothers?

General reenactment discussion

Moderator: Jaws

Jaws

Unsere Mütter, Unsere Väter... the german band of brothers?

Post by Jaws »

Hiya folks,

I watched this over the weekend, i thoroughly enjoyed it. I laughed , cried :shock: and was nearly sick. I felt desperation for them, elation, sadness, shared their hatred... watch and see what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpcn3pFc7So

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7JyYRU7ycE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QiZsIWDHa0

I loved the detail of the DRK... something for the girls to draw ideas from.

Regards,

Gary
S.A.S.A.B.
Society Against Splinter A Bandoliers

Find The Frontline Association on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheFrontlineAssociation
Stefan1944

Re: Unsere Mütter, Unsere Väter... the german band of brothe

Post by Stefan1944 »

Great stuff - thanks for sharing...

Definitely top of my Easter watch list.... :shock:
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Post by Oberleutnant Ulrich »

Speaking of such...(Great stuff by the way!)

I really do think it's about time for a German band of brothers...

I'm thinking of staying in the same topic, para, but this time FJ. What about the 6th FJ Regiment or the 1st...I mean you could make it even longer than BOB. I know the event on Crete would be costly...but imagine that on the big screen!!!
Arthur

Leutnant Ulrich Stab./II/JG-52
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./756. Gren. Reg.
Leutnant Ulrich Heereshochgebirgsschule
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./Geb.Aufkl.Abt.54
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

If anyone from hollywood is reading this... contact me :) trust me, Kreta would make a fookin brilliant war film... !

Regards,

Gary
S.A.S.A.B.
Society Against Splinter A Bandoliers

Find The Frontline Association on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheFrontlineAssociation
Goethe

Post by Goethe »

Jaws wrote:If anyone from hollywood is reading this... contact me :) trust me, Kreta would make a fookin brilliant war film... !

Regards,

Gary
Gary, I work in film, and have always thought the same. I was thinking about doing a low-budget short about Kreta, and seeing if I can get the ball rolling on a proper script. All from the German perspective, and the heartache that campaign was.

Unsere Mütter, Unsere Väter is fantastic by the way, have watched it a few times and it really is a great piece of film.
SchutzeHagemann

Post by SchutzeHagemann »

Is there a link up with English subtitles yet?
Kampfgruppe Steiner
Halle

Post by Halle »

Come on , improve your German ! :lol:
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Goethe wrote:
Jaws wrote:If anyone from hollywood is reading this... contact me :) trust me, Kreta would make a fookin brilliant war film... !

Regards,

Gary
Gary, I work in film, and have always thought the same. I was thinking about doing a low-budget short about Kreta, and seeing if I can get the ball rolling on a proper script. All from the German perspective, and the heartache that campaign was.

Unsere Mütter, Unsere Väter is fantastic by the way, have watched it a few times and it really is a great piece of film.
No offence intended...but I think if one will do a FJ version of BOB I think that it should be HBO that sponsors it and give it all they can give...if you're gonna make a movie about the Germans it has to be epic...as people will be going in with critisisme in their mind already (Just because it's about the "baddies") so one has to make sure that you can't give them stuff to complain about...a low budget film might do that...

Imagine LOTR filmed by a low budget group...too many fans would be crying their pants off.
Arthur

Goethe

Post by Goethe »

Oberleutnant Ulrich wrote:
So one has to make sure that you can't give them stuff to complain about...a low budget film might do that...

Imagine LOTR filmed by a low budget group...too many fans would be crying their pants off.
It's amazing what you can do with connections via the reenacting community, film community, and kameraden who share the same passion. Low budget or not, it all lies in the resources and knowledge of the period. I feel like I could do a great short film, at cost, and do great justice to one of the many stories from that period.

I want to make it happen. :)
Halle

Post by Halle »

I've seen a lot of HBO stuff , and it's great - but I've also seen a lot of great European productions . HBOs " style " lends itself to a very American view of things , I think it might struggle to " get its head round " a German point of view . As to the series in question , it's excellent ! :D
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Goethe wrote:
Oberleutnant Ulrich wrote:
So one has to make sure that you can't give them stuff to complain about...a low budget film might do that...

It's amazing what you can do with connections via the reenacting community, film community, and kameraden who share the same passion. Low budget or not, it all lies in the resources and knowledge of the period. I feel like I could do a great short film, at cost, and do great justice to one of the many stories from that period.

I want to make it happen. :)

I agree to some extent, again no offence intended to anyone, but you might get a great group of guys together all with perfect impressions (almost impossible though :? ) but then, like most reenactors they are all in their 40s...then if you film a FJ movie...it just won't cut it despite the best intentions. Don't get me wrong, not trying to kill your idea, it's just limited to what we have today...we need more young lads!!!

Halle, they might come around when they figure out that they are out of material :wink: but I hope they decide to do something like this before they think of playing Marvel and remaking another spiderman movie :roll:
Arthur

Dubno1943

Post by Dubno1943 »

Seems to me , as a former British Army Airborne soldier, AND as a grandson of a real German veteran, (Russian front 1943 Dubno) , that Hollywood would DEFINATELY NOT go down that road. 1 , because its far too easy for the "history" into ww2 to stay as it is..ie, to the "victor", and 2, because not enough of the viewers who will see the film KNOW how "real" war feels like. You can throw as much PYRO around as you like...but at the end of the day, no re-enactment can relive -35 to -50 degrees below zero, watching your Kameraden being blown to pieces by Katushers or mown down by machine gun fire, or watching their homeland being RAPED by the Russians. !
Ellen

Post by Ellen »

I love this. I love the characters, the story lines..Excellent stuff!
POA1944

Post by POA1944 »

I thought the movie was great!..The only flaw I seen was most soldaten were not wearing A-frame bags with their A-frames...But that is not a huge deal....Overall.I have to give it two thumbs up!
In a man-to-man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine.
-Erwin Rommel

Grenadier Erich Kessler

Sta.Kp.Gren.Ers.Btl.199

II./984. Grenadier Regiment 275. Infanterie
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Dubno1943 wrote:Seems to me , as a former British Army Airborne soldier, AND as a grandson of a real German veteran, (Russian front 1943 Dubno) , that Hollywood would DEFINATELY NOT go down that road. 1 , because its far too easy for the "history" into ww2 to stay as it is..ie, to the "victor", and 2, because not enough of the viewers who will see the film KNOW how "real" war feels like. You can throw as much PYRO around as you like...but at the end of the day, no re-enactment can relive -35 to -50 degrees below zero, watching your Kameraden being blown to pieces by Katushers or mown down by machine gun fire, or watching their homeland being RAPED by the Russians. !

I felt the cold in Band of Brothers...and I felt that god damn rain in "the Pacific"....felt the cold in "Stalingrad"....could work.
Arthur

Return to “General”