SMWholesale bad experience

General reenactment discussion

Moderator: Jaws

geoffpara

SMWholesale bad experience

Post by geoffpara »

I wanted a pair of winter blurred edge trousers from SMW and looked at their ebay store. The advert stated that for the majority of patterns and sizes you should contact him via email which I did. I received a reply shortly after and ordered and paid via Paypal $289 on 3 August 2012. Steve McColgan has since informed me twice that he has posted them but has been unable to provide a shipping number. Getting him to respond to my emails has been an absolute nightmare. Since Xmas I have been asking for a refund having given up hope of ever getting these trousers. Eight days ago Huan, from SMW who I had contacted by telephone, said that Steve had agreed to refund me but guess what... still no refund. I'm the mug for allowing myself to be taken outside of eBay in this transaction but I always considered SMW and Steve to be a reputable company and a trustworthy person. I shall be looking to take this issue up with eBay and Paypal to see if they can assist me although some time has passed while I've tried to resolve this issue but I would welcome any advice other members on here might be able to suggest how else I might resolve this.

Far eastern companies have come into disrepute over their dealings with members and I have had my own share with them but this rates as the worst I have had so far. So much for supporting the USA producers by buying from them.
Tommy

Re: SMWholesale bad experience

Post by Tommy »

Sorry to hear that their customer service hasn't improved.
I had a similar story a few years ago, my emails went unanswered, phone calls resulted in broken promises and a constant stream of bullshit and lies.
Eventually, after about a year I got some of the kit I ordered and had to settled for that. I wouldn't recommend anyone deal with them direct unless they want a huge amount of grief.
I'd buy their gear from SoF, 1944 Militaria or if I'm pushed, their ebay shop.
Not much help to you I know, but someone might be interested to know it's not a one off!!!
Hope you have a happy outcome!
Regards
Tommy
geoffpara

Post by geoffpara »

A salutary lesson for us all Tommy. They make good gear, indeed some of the best, but appear to be not above ripping off their customers. Like you I shall only look to buy their gear via reputable companies with a good track record of dealing honestly with their customers such as those you mentioned.
dagda

Post by dagda »

The simple truth is never, ever buy anything that is not for sale on thier ebay site. Steve is slack, and I too had probs a few years ago. Having said that all the kit I got from thier ebay store was fast and superb.
You're losing.you're losing, you're losing your vitamin c

Egyptian Kings packing their things!!

I keep this picture to keep my hate strong!

http://www.heavenandhell.org.uk

pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

Have you contacted paypal im sure they have a dispute claims sections. (ebay does but it takes time)
graham
geoffpara

Post by geoffpara »

Yes, raised it with Paypal via their resolution centre but SMW played the "game" very cleverly in that telling me they had to make them first, that they had posted them, by not responding to emails etc they took me over the 45 days limit in which Paypal will respond. Effectively Paypal doesn't want to know and SMW doesn't care has they have the money and no goods sent.

Moral of the story is don't let the seller take you out of the eBay process and if the goods are not received, for any reason, by the 44th day then raise a resolution issue with Paypal even if the seller seems to be the nicest person in the world.

Just didn't expect this from a company like SMW who most think have a reputable business and ethics.
geoffpara

Post by geoffpara »

Well, the good news is that having sent countless emails and made a number of phone call Juan at SMW has stepped up and resolved the issue for me and my Paypal account has now been reimbursed the full amount. Persistance paid but the lessons are there for others to benefit from.

As previously stated by others SMW's gear is some of the very best but get it from a 3rd party or via eBay.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Hi,
just to add to this I have just bought three helmet covers from SMW via E-Bay - paid for on the 28th Jan. On the plus side they custom made one for that was not offered on their E-bay shop at no extra cost (Oak A type 1/ no loops) - and I got them today! On the negative side I received a note that they were ready to ship on the 2nd Feb which seemed quick. I waited 2 weeks to allow for any hold-ups and then asked if they had been sent. No reply. Left it a few days and asked again - no reply. Repeat.... Finally they just turned up. They are great items and I appreciate the extra work in making the custom cover. I understand it may have taken a while to do and if they had said so I would have had no problem. But the silence and wondering whether I'd ever get them is irritating and sours the experience. Having said that I'll no doubt order from them again at some point in the future..... :lol:

Return to “General”