Militaria-net.co.uk

General reenactment discussion

Moderator: Jaws

Nico

Militaria-net.co.uk

Post by Nico »

Hello everybody, I'm about to place an order on said dealer. What surprised me is the currency converter of the website, for example: an army officer's tunic which costs 92 GBP shows U$S 172 once I set the site converter to US Dollars. Using an online currency converter (http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/) shows differently: 92 GBP = 141 U$S. What's the deal?
Nicolas
Pug42

Re: Militaria-net.co.uk

Post by Pug42 »

PM 'g girl' on here for clarification - I always thought the actual conversion is done by your bank rather than the retailer?
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG
Nico

Post by Nico »

Thank you Dave, I've already sent an email to the address shown on the website, hopefully I'll get a reply soon.
Did anybody order from the US? How fast do they mail your order?
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

Great folks at militaria.net, can you use paypal with them? I can't remember... i'm wondering if the currency converter is up to date.

Regards,

Gary.
S.A.S.A.B.
Society Against Splinter A Bandoliers

Find The Frontline Association on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheFrontlineAssociation
johankreig

Post by johankreig »

watch out for customs tax, I know people who have been stung importing stuff, kit, gear etc... freind was charged £30 import tax on a US airborn Jacket, not sure how they work out the tax or why it dosnt seem to happen to everyone tho.
Name: Jonathan
Johan Paul Kreig
Feldgendarmerie
Himmel Soldaten
Nico

Post by Nico »

Hello johankrieg, that would be an inconvenience! I've already imported a helmet and an m36 tunic without problem, hope my luck holds! Do you know if, in case I am charged with the tax, I have to fetch the item from a customs office or similar?

I'm from Argentina and therefore never have an item shipped to my home, customs here is a lotery and specially now that we can't import anything. That's why every time I travel abroad I buy some stuff online and have it shipped to my hotel.
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

The import tax and vat applies to any items normally over $100. It goes back some years when the UK and the US had an argument over bananas. Yes bananas!!!! anyway someone got the "strops" and from that date both VAT and import Tax applied. If you haven't had to pay this tax consider yourself lucky. If there is no invoice inside any opened packet CUSTOMS will guess at the nett price and charge accordingly. In some cases they have mad up their own mind what the original price was and it wasnt in the favour of the buyer. My brother in law paid for some miniatures for war gaming approx cost $25 and when the package was delivered they wanted £60.00 for delivery, needless to say he didn't pay the excess duty. You have been warned!!! google search Banana wars for further info.
graham
Nico

Post by Nico »

Hello pepperpot, thanks for the heads-up! I've now sent an email to the US customs about the subject, that should be enough to clear my doubts.
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

its not U.S. customs that are the problem its the UK customs that collect the said TAX
graham
johankreig

Post by johankreig »

I think they will do it for less than £100, my uncle has imported unit badges and other items from the US costing between £30 and £80 and has still been stung with the tax, he had to pay another £30 quid on top of what he payed for an item just to get it from customs.
Johan Paul Kreig
Feldgendarmerie
Himmel Soldaten
Pug42

Post by Pug42 »

The original poster is asking about importing into the US from the UK, not the other way round... hence the query about the dollar price being much higher than the GBP one.
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG
johankreig

Post by johankreig »

ah so he is I mis read it.
Johan Paul Kreig
Feldgendarmerie
Himmel Soldaten

Return to “General”