SS facial hair

General reenactment discussion

Moderator: Jaws

dbloge

SS facial hair

Post by dbloge »

i was recently told that no SS man could have facial hair whatsoever........(i know there are the oddball pics here and there).......if what i was told is true, were can the specific regulations covering this be found?

thanks, dieter
Franz repper

Re: SS facial hair

Post by Franz repper »

dbloge wrote:i was recently told that no SS man could have facial hair whatsoever........(i know there are the oddball pics here and there).......if what i was told is true, were can the specific regulations covering this be found?

thanks, dieter
Facial hair could be worn in the german army BUT with spesific regulations applying to how the mustache was to be worn ( no sideburns or other facial hair) it is worth noting that the mustache was not in stilye at the time . so not so many worn, beards were not alowed unless you had been in very heavy combat then you was to shave as soon as you could .Some times though some did get away with it
Max Seela a very well know beard wearer but even he had to shave at times
ImageImageImageImageImage
dbloge

Post by dbloge »

i dont think many people would question him for anything wearing that much bling

dieter
West-Front

Post by West-Front »

Hermann Dahlke
Attachments
Oberscharführer der Waffen-SS Hermann Dahlke, Kp.Truppführer in der 3./SS-Pz.G.R. 1. der 1.SS-Panzer-Division "Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler",
Oberscharführer der Waffen-SS Hermann Dahlke, Kp.Truppführer in der 3./SS-Pz.G.R. 1. der 1.SS-Panzer-Division "Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler",
Bundesarchiv_Bild_101III-King-035-06,_Hermann_Dahlke.jpg (45.3 KiB) Viewed 8074 times
Gren Broich

Post by Gren Broich »

he must of seen 'Gone with the Wind'.
PROUD MEMBER OF THE ALL SINGING,ALL MARCHING S.B.G.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Here's a couple of facial stubbles :D
Meyer.jpg
Meyer.jpg (14.59 KiB) Viewed 7996 times
"Panzer Meyer"
Richter.jpg
Richter.jpg (36.72 KiB) Viewed 7996 times
"Wilfried Richter"

Cheers Peiper :wink:
Last edited by Peiper on Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pug42

Post by Pug42 »

Pics not showing...?
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG
West-Front

Post by West-Front »

Kurt Meyer
dbloge

Post by dbloge »

pics are nice guys but i am looking for written regulation....does it exist?

dieter
dbloge

Post by dbloge »

A bit of a necropost, but just following up on my previous question.

Danke, DL
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Post by Oberleutnant Ulrich »

Prewar, it was not allowed unless you were an officer, even then it was rare among the junior officers. Mostly a priviledge of rank. Sideburns were not allowed and any facial hair was to be kept trim and proper. In the Gebirgsjäger units a tolerance was allowed for well kept beards as many of the soldiers were older bearded farmers ;)
Arthur

Leutnant Ulrich Stab./II/JG-52
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./756. Gren. Reg.
Leutnant Ulrich Heereshochgebirgsschule
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./Geb.Aufkl.Abt.54
RKrieger

Post by RKrieger »

There is an entry in the Soldbuch to indicate if the person wore a beard or not.

From my research ( as I have a beard and I reenact SS ) medical dispensation was permitted to disguise disfigurement from wounds or other medical conditions of the skin. Obviously operational considerations for things like , water shortage, weather ( Winter) or duration of deployment in action relaxed the regulations.
It seems ( just like in most military organizations ) persons who were high functioning leaders and very effective combatants often were afforded some liberties ( or at least tolerance ) to cultivate affectations unmolested by regulations.

Then as now the principle concern was an effective seal on a gas mask. in addition to principles of military conformity.

Bearded officers.. being a Prussian tradition.. tied to aristocracy .. it was a particularly un-SS affectation.

So to say.. SS members NEVER wore beards is of course not true.. but if you said almost never you would be closer to the truth.

Return to “General”