swiss ammo carts

General WWII and Reenactment Topics Only. Post anything else in Off Topic, please.
wolff

swiss ammo carts

Post by wolff »

Hi I'v come across 3 swiss ammo carts for a very good price, but are they or were they used by germany in ww2.
Stigroadie

Re: swiss ammo carts

Post by Stigroadie »

Isnt the clue in the title?
Swiss?
Just a thought?
:)
wolff

Post by wolff »

If you dont actually know the answer to this question just dont post anything. I use and post here for my love of history and I know I dont know every thing about ww2 none of us do thats why we come together here, not to be snide to each other just to make your self feel smarter because you end up just looking ignorant. I Know they are swiss but I also know that germany used lots of equipment from surrounding countrys and i was wondering if this is one of the items that was used. they are dated 1918, 1939, 1943.
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

I do know the answer and I think I posted it?
Did they use Swiss uniforms? No.
Did they use Swiss ammo carts? No, not as far as I have been able to determine.
Are they close enough to the German pattern to get away with or to convert? No, I dont think so but others may disagree.
They used other nations arms and equipment when they occupied that country or captured stocks after battles. Lots of British kit used after Dunkirk and in N.Africa. Lots of Czech stuff used after the invasion etc.
When would that have occurred with Swiss equipment?
They did buy weapons from 'neutral' countries, anti aircraft guns from Sweden is one example, but not seen ammo carts from Switzerland listed.
wolff

Post by wolff »

Thank you for a more complete answer
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

Still the same one though. :?
wolff

Post by wolff »

Yes and no. Your 2nd was a stronger deterant for me not to waist my cash on one. Do you by chance know a better alternative for a cart used by gemany that can be found. Was their one used with a bmw r75 or is that just a modern misconception.
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

There, not their, was an Infantry cart [IF8]used by Germany, not gemany.
You might like to waste, not waist, your money on one of those?
Good luck finding one and even better luck affording one.
There is a repro, cheaper than originals.
http://www.oldtimergarage.eu/store/prod ... ts_id=2610
Salacious Crumb

Post by Salacious Crumb »

thanks for the link!

Do you know where you can find the infantry towingbar? or belts or did they use the infantryartillery towingbelts? I can imagine if the cart is loaded with ammo it isn't light anymore...
Member of
http://maa204.blogspot.com/
Kriegsmarine re-enactment group
sparky

Post by sparky »

The infantry towing t-bar pops up on ebay occasionaly, if you want one i might be able to get you one from a friend in normandy.
They did use them with towing straps similar to artillery.

more often towed behind trucks or horse drawn, believe it or not they also used great danes to tow them as well!!

They are great things to have!
Proud to be a member of - WARS Das Reich -
Where the party never ends!
sparky

Post by sparky »

I would also be interested to see a swiss one in use by the germans, any photos exist? I suppose there would be a possibility that a few may have been bought by them?
Proud to be a member of - WARS Das Reich -
Where the party never ends!
dbloge

Post by dbloge »

I think the Swiss carts are pretty cool. Best to go with an original or good repro though, if a cart is to be used as part of a military impression. One of the guys in my units has 3 originals. They are definitely nice to have.

http://709th.org/Infantry_Carts__3_.html

DL

Return to “Anything WWII!”