Splinter pattern material made for Wehrmacht in Switzerland?

General WWII and Reenactment Topics Only. Post anything else in Off Topic, please.
Schuller

Splinter pattern material made for Wehrmacht in Switzerland?

Post by Schuller »

Read it on a magazine about camo garments
Any thoughts about this?
Gunther Schuller, Schutze, 136, 1./G.R.914, 352 ID
Peiper

Re: Splinter pattern material made for Wehrmacht in Switzerland?

Post by Peiper »

Schuller wrote:Read it on a magazine about camo garments
Any thoughts about this?
As far as i know the guy who originally designed the camo gear for the German Army buzzed off to
Switzerland in 45 and continued making the Swiss Army tarn there instead!!
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

I have a reasonably large (10) number of Swiss Zelts. Some are made of Wartime German fabric. Others are a slightly different print and nearly all have the "yellow" lozenges on one side peculiar to Swiss fabric.
Take a look here
http://zeltbahn.panzerwerk.com/index.ph ... &Itemid=41

Is it something recent or do people no longer have the ability to type into google - "splinter pattern swiss" ?
Hennig

Post by Hennig »

Good site thanks Mr D :wink: , going a little off topic (sorry) the West German ameobatarn pattern , was that not used in the 1977 film A Bridge Too Far , when the SS tried to get accross the Bridge ? just watched the film again today and it looks like the one and same .
Yes i know it is wrong but hey it was 1977 lol .

Mike
SS Schar Hennig Der FG
SS-Feldgend Tr 1.SS Pz. Div. Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler
SECOND BATTLE GROUP
Schuller

Post by Schuller »

I have a reasonably large (10) number of Swiss Zelts. Some are made of Wartime German fabric. Others are a slightly different print and nearly all have the "yellow" lozenges on one side peculiar to Swiss fabric.
Take a look here
http://zeltbahn.panzerwerk.com/index.ph ... &Itemid=41

Is it something recent or do people no longer have the ability to type into google - "splinter pattern swiss" ?
Thanks for the info.
No doubt Switzerland produced splinter fabric, but my question was if during wartime that fabric was intended to be delivered to Germany as a result of some sort of economic agreement between both countries. Now I see it's true

I guess many quantities of that "German" splinter fabric produced in Switzerland could not be sent to the German army due to the fact the war ended.

So after the war (and even during it) the Swiss army would have used all that surplus stuff to make their own covers and zeltbahns, and indeed they copied the pattern and kept on using it.
Gunther Schuller, Schutze, 136, 1./G.R.914, 352 ID
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

Most of the Swiss printed splinter has a different pattern to that of wartime German. There are link lines that join the blocks of colour that are not a feature of the German print.
I think the Grink has, as do I, Swiss zelts that dont feature these link lines? German made? I doubt it, the cloth of Swiss zeltbahns tends to be cut from heavier cloth than that of the German zelt. Cotton duck was a very limited resource in the last year or so of the war in Germany.
The 'yellow eggs' are also not unique to Swiss zelts. I have two German zelts that feature the eggs, I think one is marked. Not Swiss cloth as they are standard German weight but perhaps Swiss printed? Who can say. Neither features the link lines.

Return to “Anything WWII!”