Panzerjäger "Matilda II"

General WWII and Reenactment Topics Only. Post anything else in Off Topic, please.
Bill Medland

Panzerjäger "Matilda II"

Post by Bill Medland »

Have I discovered a rare version of a "Panzerjäger" local conversion?

It would seem to be a body of a british Matilda II, which has had the turret removed and a PAK gun fitted.

Source: a 3 second film clip taken from the Wochenschau (22nd December 1943), coastal defences in Denmark.

I thought at first it was a French Somua S-35, but I am now certain it is a Matilda II.
PzJäger matilda.JPG
PzJäger matilda.JPG (26.23 KiB) Viewed 2418 times
Cheers, Bill.
West-Front

Re: Panzerjäger "Matilda II"

Post by West-Front »

West-front
http://beute.narod.ru/Beutepanzer/uk/A1 ... lda2-1.htm
http://beute.narod.ru/Beutepanzer/uk/A1 ... lda2-2.htm
(Picture from book Regenberger, Dr. Werner: Scheiben. Horst. "Beutepanzer unterm Balkenkreuz")
Attachments
matilda-20.jpg
matilda-20.jpg (41.36 KiB) Viewed 2389 times
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

It's certainly well armed! 2 MG34/13/15? and a PaK! Great picture Cam - Willi has a keen eye. Wonder if we could persuade a major museum somewhere to let us convert a Matilda? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bill Medland

Post by Bill Medland »

Looking at the link that Cam posted I have discovered the same identical AFV (compare the camouflage),
obviously taken from part of the original filmclip or a still shot taken at the same time.

Which according to the Wochenschau commentary places the AFV in Denmark during a visit of Feldmarshall Rommel, December 1943.

I assume that these are the Matilda AFVs captured in France 1940 and found their way to Denmark.

Cheers, Bill.
Picture from book Regenberger, Dr. Werner Scheiben. Horst. Beutepanzer unterm Balkenkreuz.jpg
Picture from book Regenberger, Dr. Werner Scheiben. Horst. Beutepanzer unterm Balkenkreuz.jpg (50.09 KiB) Viewed 2355 times

Return to “Anything WWII!”