When Nazis marched through London

General WWII and Reenactment Topics Only. Post anything else in Off Topic, please.
space cadet

When Nazis marched through London

Post by space cadet »

http://timesonline.typepad.com/comment/ ... ondon.html

his newly-released footage is really quite terrifying.

It was unearthed by a Discovery Channel programme to be aired next week called Wartime London, presented by London cabby Harry Harris.

It shows the funeral, in 1936, of the German Ambassador to Britain, Leopold von Hoesch in 1936.

After a fatal stroke a state funeral was held for him, a salute of nineteen guns was fired in Hyde Park, and Grenadier Guards marched down the Mall. Shoulder to shoulder with Nazi soldiers.

They carried a coffin draped in a swastika, while crowds lined the road and balconies, a terrifyingly large number of them giving the Nazi salute.

Who are these people? They can’t, as Harris points out, all be embassy staff. Whether they were Germans living in London or British Nazi sympathisers is unknown. Most probably a mix of both.

Hoesch himself was a career diplomat, never a Nazi. He would have been horrified.
Gren-Schell

Re: When Nazis marched through London

Post by Gren-Schell »

Errrr.. possibly Mosley's Blackshirts... I could be wrong :roll:
It's not real... it's called re-enacting!
Viktor Kauer

Post by Viktor Kauer »

Lol the 'Nazi Salute' always makes me laugh, was only referred to as the 'Deutsche Grüß' (German greeting) at the time, and the Nazi flag on the coffin? What other flag would they have used, this was Germany's national flag after '33?

Just my two pfennigs,

Looking forward to watching this documentary!

Kauer
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Good link, thanks!

Regards

Return to “Anything WWII!”