Herbert Gille

General WWII and Reenactment Topics Only. Post anything else in Off Topic, please.
barryG

Herbert Gille

Post by barryG »

Really interested in this guy, as Ive been reading up on Waffen-SS quite a bit lately and found a pic of him. Now his surname is very interesting to me as its a variation of my own surname which is of Irish/Scottish origin so Im intrigued as to why a German has that surname? I also noticed he has the same big rounded nose as I have, and there was me thinking I didnt have a Germanic nose at all :lol: Its a bit spooky...
Anyway, if theres some good info on the guy out there, please let me know. Ta.
Crazy Feldgendarme

Re: Herbert Gille

Post by Crazy Feldgendarme »

The most decorated soldier in the Waffen SS born March 8th 1897 in Gandersheim-am-Harz. The son of a factory manager, joined the Army cadet corps Easter 1909 after finishing his preliminary education.
Attended the cadet school in Bensburg-am-Rhein untill 1914 then the senior cadet faculty at Berlin- Lichterfelde in 1914. Apointed to a unit from Baden he was assigned to Field Artillery Regiment no 30 from September 1914untill the start of November that year.
After further training he transferred to reserve Artillery Regiment 55 of the 75th infantry division where he was sent to the front. He remained with this regiment untill it was disbanded in January 1915 serving as a platoon leader and battery officer. On January 27th 1915 Gille was commisioned as a leutnant and served with Artillery regiment 30 untill April 1919, promoted to Oberleutnant with seniority effective March 31st 1919.
During WW1 Gille won both classes of the Iron cross, both classes of the Brunswick service cross and the Austrian war service cross 3rd class.

Thers a start mate.

Dave
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

GeFoPo
barryG

Post by barryG »

Thanks Dave, appreciate that lot :wink:
Crazy Feldgendarme

Post by Crazy Feldgendarme »

Much more to come when i get time mate.
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

GeFoPo
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Otto_Gille
Lots on t'internet about Gille....... Bit of a Nartzee!!!!! :lol:
barryG

Post by barryG »

Well, someone had to be in the party :lol:
Thanks for the help Paul. Youre right, hes all over the Net.
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

There is no doubt but Herbert Gille was one of the best commanding officers to serve in the Waffen SS , along with Paul "Papa" Hausser and Wilhelm Bittrich . They were probably three of the best Divisional Commanders to serve in the Waffen SS .
In 1994 I had the pleasure to meet Gunter Bernau who was Gille's adjutant , he was a super person and spoke very highly of Gille . Gunter was also a German Cross in Gold Holder .

Kampfgruppe Sud:Irelands Largest German military vehicle and
re-enactment group

Return to “Anything WWII!”