Buying and selling

General WWII and Reenactment Topics Only. Post anything else in Off Topic, please.
dog green 1

Buying and selling

Post by dog green 1 »

Found an old folder on the PC with a lot of the items I first bought and sold about 5/6 years ago when I first started out in the militaira game. Some I wish I never bought, some i wish I never sold. Most of these were in the days when Ebay was fun and it was exciting to see what you could find on there. Not like now where it all tends to be the same stuff and if you try to sell things your more than likely to be thrown off. HK Kieth had only just started on Ebay USA and the only things he stocked were Black Panzer wrap and trousers, M36 sets, REALLY bad Officer tunic and trouser sets (I still have a set in the loft) and US Airbourne sets.

Anyway you live and learn, and some of these caused me to learn pretty quickly.

My first ever item I bought. On the wifes suggestion (I could therefore say the obsession I have now is down to her but I like my knackers where they are and not in a jar by her bedside). Bought from an Antique dealer. Set comprised tunic with all the medals and insignia, a pair of original riding breeches, dagger was added later. Bought for £60.00. Can you believe I actually sold this on Ebay and wasn't banned for life.

The next lot I was over the moon with at the time. All bought in the US when the dollar was pretty weak against the pound. Compared to what was selling on UK Ebay I though I had it made. Insignia was superb as were the medals. I soon learnt however that all the tunics were post war NVA (I remember someone on Ebay asking if these were NVA and thinking..."Bloody fool, they were from a conflict 20 years after this one :oops: ) items which you could get for next to nothing. Still at the time they all sold for good money. You can see from some of the pics the guy was heavily into insignia, even on camo items.

These next ones were all classics. Pictured on the suppliers web site as some of the nicest looking peaked caps I'd seen. Turned out to be a leason in 'don't believe all that you see' but one that I didn't learn from for a couple more f**k ups. The pictures speak for the quailty. You wouldn't see Tom Cruise in Valkerie bimbling about in one of these.

Hitlers tailor let him down badly with this effort :roll:

Particularly like the quailty of the Luftwaffe blue on this one :shock:

You can't beat a nice hairy cap

You might have thought after the caps I would have taken heed with my next endeavour however this next one I got very excited about. At the time SOF were selling Officer tunics for £185.00 without insignia. When I found this on a suppliers web site I remember saying to the wife..."we've got it now" The picture below is from thier web site, a very nice tunic made from Gabardine, nice Frence cuffs, correct collar. Gorgeous. The one below that is what I recieved in the post.

You will see straight away the quailty of material is not quite the same. Cuffs differ in appearence, collar doesn't even fasten and it fit like a sack. This picture doesn't do this item justice...it was actually worse.

This one while being the easiest sale I ever made I wish I'd now hung on to it. It was listed on UK Ebay twice without selling. The sellers pictures were realy bad and didn't do the items justice. I knew even bad Dot pattern at the time fetched pretty good money so after it failed to sell the second time I E-mailed the seller and made him an offer. As soon as I recieved the item I took some better pics and stuck it straight back on Ebay. Sold within days. Looking at the pics I've got the Dot pattern is really nice and the helmet must have been an original M42 shell. Original gas mask cannister with gas mask, canteen(replaced the cover as it was damaged) nice ankle boots. Very nice set. Who knows someone on here might have bought it.

The most recent was a Dot pattern panzer wrap I bought from an auction down South along with another one. Got them both for a good price and managed to double my money selling them on USA Ebay. However it now looks like one of them was a very early and now very rare Janke tunic. BUGGER.

Been others like the belt and buckle I thought were crap as it didn't look like the one in SOF. Buckle had some sort of strange leather tab attached so stuck it on Ebay with a low 'Buy it Now' just to get shot. Or the kindly gentleman who e-mailed me afer I'd won a job lot to ask if i would sell him the small black plastic cup that was included. Sold it to him for £5.00. Turned out to be an original bakerlite cup for a canteen.

Where does all this crap end up. Either in the loft or sold at car boot fairs. If however one of you lucky people would like a very early HK Kieth Officers tunic made of HBT with black collar, the outline of a chest eagle stiched in so you know where to put yours then feel free to send me a PM. Might even be able to throw in the superb Hitler Cap if I can find it :wink:
"To a New Yorker like you a Hero is some sort of wierd sandwich"

Paulkd

Re: Buying and selling

Post by Paulkd »

Thats the Dot suit I wear!

I bought mine when Wolfie (from here) went to the sates.

I dont know the make, anyone?
Society Against Splinter A Knochensacks

You buy them to push, if they run its a bonus......

Mystery panzer combi of the year!
dog green 1

Post by dog green 1 »

Given the fact the chinese hoardes hadn't taken hold it might be either SM Wholesale, Sams Militaria or a custom made set. I think SBG have a pretty handy seamstress and have bought rolls of material in the past to make items up for members. Could be RAU. Was certainly good quailty which is why I wish I'd kept it.
"To a New Yorker like you a Hero is some sort of wierd sandwich"

Jack

Post by Jack »

Paulkd wrote:Thats the Dot suit I wear!

It looks like sm wholesale dot 44 on cotton sof still has some of it i think.
"My wife had a go at me last night. She said 'You'll drive me to my grave'.
I had the car out in thirty seconds. "
Paulkd

Post by Paulkd »

Jack wrote:

Thanks, I know Wolfie only gets the good stuff!!

Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Back to Buying and Selling - YEARS ago I had a Boys Anti Tank Rifle............ I sold it for £100.00

Try and get one now..............

As a kid I was given an old yellowy/sandy/greenish peaked cap to wear with a red lining. Being a big Action Man fan (I'm talking about 8 or 9 years old) I painted with BRIGHT YELLOW HUMBROL ENAMEL a German Eagle on the Front and then detailed it with a Biro (yes - I was and still am quite artistically gifted) - It was too big so I swapped it for a then current issue Brit Army twathat - Ah well........... at least I owned one once - BEFORE I KNEW WHAT THE BLOODY THING WAS!

And then there was the P17 rifle I found in a coal place when I was about 11! Me and a mate offered to get a ton of coal in for an old feller (In those days coal was tipped on the pavement loose and had to be shovelled in to either a cellar or a coal place) Upon agreeing he opened the coal place door and leaned up at the back, covered in black dust and grime was what turned out to be an immaculate (once cleaned) Home Guard P17 Springfield Rifle. He said I could have it for getting the coal in and my pal could have his gas mask and Tin hat (hung on a nail behind the door) - we were pleased as punch adn I played "army with that rifle for a fair old while - Then another mate's Dad mentioned wanting a nice piece of wood to make a crossbow stock - So like a clonker at 12 years old I sold it him for a fiver!!!!!! It got made into a crossbow and another piece of history got butchered!

I really could go on at length as I've been involved with militaria and stuff for donkey's years but as I write and remember I feel more and more embarrassed and wicked for some of the sins against military collecting I've committed in my time!!!! :roll:
Paulkd

Post by Paulkd »

I got offerered a FJ "gravity" knife by a classmate at school, but I looked at the wooden grips, the shiney catch, etc etc....
I turned it down saying "oh i'm sure your gramps did bring it back from the war but its just some camping knife"......

Er.......

Chorlitz|12.SS|

Post by Chorlitz|12.SS| »

Jack wrote:

Yes looks like my one, that was the made in USA stuff, looks good.(Just fading it a bit, to make it look worn, not 60 years old :roll: )

But that "you can't beat a furry cap" made me burst out laughing!

Return to “Anything WWII!”