gebirgsartillerie - tactical question

Moderator: les hearn

mario33

gebirgsartillerie - tactical question

Post by mario33 »

in MLRS' 'German Mountain Warfare', being exact translation of 'Vorauflage Ausbildungsanweisung fur die Gebirgstruppen' (page 45), there are some rules for gebirgsartillerie employment in combat.

For deployment in depth (echelon) it advises the 'flat-trajectory' artillery pieces to be employed in the rear and 'high-trajectory' batteries in front. :shock: I was quite shocked as I thought it is feasible to arrange them otherwise (and so I read e.g. in Polish tactical manuals for mountain troops). Anybody knows why was that ? What was the reasoning ? Any experiences found in the literature ?
Es steht ein kleines, kleines Edelweiß
auf einer steilen, steilen Felsenhöh!

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Because the flat trajectory Artillery would be higher up the mountain being "behind"...... think about it......
Mortars lower down because they are lobbing shells - put them higher up and get it wrong...... :roll:
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

The Good Fwbl Wrote
Because the flat trajectory Artillery would be higher up the mountain being "behind"...... think about it......
Mortars lower down because they are lobbing shells - put them higher up and get it wrong......
Once again you show us your great Knowledge ,what the Good Fwbl wrote is correct for a unit defending a mountain as the Flat trajectory Artillery would be firing on the advancing troops as they advance to the attack,Once they are in the range of the Mortars they would switch there fire to the attacking units Artillery .
Now the Attacking Artillery would be Firing on the other units Positions as there troops advanced once the attacking units troops were close the artillery would switch fire to the other artillery positions
This came from the REIBERT Artillery book dated jan 1940 I can go in to it more but it then gos down to mils ,drift ,elevation,trajectory and the use of the Graphic firing table :shock:
Then you have to get the kit there
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Gebirgsjaeger”