Aging new leather?

Moderator: les hearn

MountainWiess

Aging new leather?

Post by MountainWiess »

Anyone here try and age your leather belts, K98 pouches etc? If so how did you do it without wrecking the darn things? I sure someone that's a reenactor has found a way.
Hoffman Grink

Re: Aging new leather?

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Why?
MountainWiess

Post by MountainWiess »

Because you look like you just stepped out from the tailors or your still in bootcamp, no?
les hearn

Post by les hearn »

just wear em

i have a jacket that has never been washed for six years

now it stinks but hey does it look origional..you bet

none of that woolyness :wink:

as pd
will say
everything was new
even back then when issued it was new brand new .

failing that just rubb it in the dirt leave it for a few days out in the rain or sun
then just wipe over with damp cloth
then just wear it
dont polish it cos you will make it new again
95th nacht..attached 85th gebirgsjeager

have enigma ,will travel.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Les has it.
You are confusing looking at original equipment as it looks now.
As a Re-enactor you are supposed to have been issued your kit and be using it. If a belt say, was made in 1938 and sat in stores until it was issued to you in 1940 it would still look brand new. You would wear a belt for best and a belt for work. The work belt would need to be well maintained and polished/fed etc. So it would not look "aged". By the time the war ended you belt would, if you were lucky enough to survive be 7 years old......... Re-issued kit would be refurbed, polished, repainted etc. etc. so again ageing it would be a bit moot.

I have worn my repro equipment for "quite a few years now" and when I look at photographs it has progressively taken on the look you want. The best "age" is to wear it and use it. natural ageing. The best wear is natural wear......... trust those who have been doing it for some time - the patina and marks etc. gained by actual use are much more satisfying and in keeping with what you are doing than chemical trickery.

Finally - a good soldier does not neglect his equipment. Even if it gets soaked, muddy, scratched, worn - He will, in his rest periods dry, clean, polish and mend it. When it becomes unserviceable he will be issued a replacement. (or obtain one via unofficial channels :wink: )

Return to “Gebirgsjaeger”