Reproduction Insignia Authenticity

Moderator: les hearn

gewehrmonkey

Reproduction Insignia Authenticity

Post by gewehrmonkey »

Am I crazy in thinking almost every piece of repro insignia available online is either wrong in pattern, material, or design?
I have studied photos online and in print, as well as sifted through memorobilia with recorded provenance and have yet to see a single metal cap device made of anything other than white/silver colored metal. Every vendor I see sells one that is either post war style with curved stem and incorrect leaves or of the right shape, but made of some funky black washed copper metal. Is it just me? Can anybody show black cap devices in wartime photos?
gebirgs soldat

Re: Reproduction Insignia Authenticity

Post by gebirgs soldat »

RON... I make it simple... I take apart the pieces on the edel and spray the leaves with a dull silver. After it dries, I put it back together and then with my fingernails.. dull it up just a little.. WALT

p.s. missed you at Camp Roberts last weekend.. had a nice road march to Sherwood Forest with full rucksacks and weapons!
"Alte Soldaten Sterben Nicht" - "Old Soldiers Never Die"

Walter Ritter
4te Kompanie, 98th GJR
California Historical Group (CHG)
L.A., California
gewehrmonkey

Re: Reproduction Insignia Authenticity

Post by gewehrmonkey »

We came to the same solution, I just cant understand why nobody makes it right the first time.
And I am dying to return to the field, Walt. Six weeks more of Las Vegas and then I am a free man!

Return to “Gebirgsjaeger”