Ski equipment

Moderator: les hearn

JD7

Ski equipment

Post by JD7 »

Saw these in a email shot http://www.ima-usa.com/product_info.php ... ts_id/2722
Their Norwegian, but according to ima supposed to be similar to wartime German ones? I don't know I'm not a Gebirgsjager, but at $30 might be worth a look to someone on a budget?

Del
gebirgsjaeger100

Re: Ski equipment

Post by gebirgsjaeger100 »

Good prize. But they are quite different from the period "standart" german skis.
I have 2 genuine pairs and both are not laminated but massive, with metal edges. Both have GeZe Kandahar bindings. No metal reinforcement in the point.
But, of course, for that money they are good to use and, if it happens that they break, it's not a disaster like with the period ones!
Hurra, die Gams!
Come and visit us at http://gjr100.blogspot.com/
JD7

Post by JD7 »

Thanks for the reply.

I had suspected that given IMA's "german style" product heading.

As you have said - would be okay if used on the alps somewhere and if they broke it's only $30 worth of equipment that died rather than original lol

Won't be me buying them - that would mean a whole new spur on my uniforms and equipment tree :lol:
gebirgsjaeger100

:lol:
Hurra, die Gams!
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

These skis are probably the same shit most Germans were stuck with during WW2. I still get the shivers after all these years. Useless NATO crap. Avoid the bloody skis. They are almost OK if you like to jump and that’s where it ends. The original WW2 gebirgsjaeger skis are even worse. Useless shit. The only good ski’s available during WW2 were some that they got from the Finnish allies and the captured Norwegian skis. The German shit was OK as long as you got them for free and wanted to jump with them. I have had some pairs that were folded. Very high Hollywood factor but crap. Sorry for spoiling the party but thi is the truth.
Regards
gebirgsjaeger100

Funny how good they did ski on "shit" :wink:
Hurra, die Gams!
Heeresbergführer

Post by Heeresbergführer »

Ski Heil!
PK
Dort, wo der Adler haust!
Hauptmann u. Heeresbergführer "Papa" Kiser
Kompanie Chef
5. Kp./Hochgebirgsjäger Btl. 4

Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Enigma wrote:These skis are probably the same shit most Germans were stuck with during WW2. I still get the shivers after all these years. Useless NATO crap. Avoid the bloody skis. They are almost OK if you like to jump and that’s where it ends. The original WW2 gebirgsjaeger skis are even worse. Useless shit. The only good ski’s available during WW2 were some that they got from the Finnish allies and the captured Norwegian skis. The German shit was OK as long as you got them for free and wanted to jump with them. I have had some pairs that were folded. Very high Hollywood factor but crap. Sorry for spoiling the party but thi is the truth.
Regards
Its very hard to have a multi use ski That has to do this
and this
The Finnish ski the binding is diffrent to the German. And Finnish army ski boots had to be used with the Finnish ski see the two closest to the camera note the upturned toe of boot they were a First class cross country ski
Oh and one Skier who is still tring to get it right
ImageImageImageImageImage
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

Repper is right in that it is hard to make a multiuse ski. Mission impossible is my opinion as there is bound to be a big pile of compromises. As you probably guessed from the last posting I made I had to use these heavy beasts for a period of my life and I detest them entirely and utterly. We used to joke that they were so useless that they most likely would not ignite if you tried to make a fire of them. If you are to use them avid at all cost. If you do not intend to go skiing with them they are OK as long as you do not have to carry them.

Regarding the comment that the Germans were good at skis is dependent on compared to whom.
mario33

Post by mario33 »

I finally got my skis renovated, just in time for the winter :) They look and feel very good now... I simply dont know whether to ski on them or display them :)

Es steht ein kleines, kleines Edelweiß
auf einer steilen, steilen Felsenhöh!

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

Obergefreiter Hansch

Post by Obergefreiter Hansch »

:shock: Are they originals Mario? They look bloody fantastic!
Gruß and Berg Heil, Gebirgsjågers!

II./Geb.Jäg.Rgt.100.
mario33

Post by mario33 »

Obergefreiter Hansch wrote::shock: Are they originals Mario? They look bloody fantastic!
Those were civilian skis of 1930s (original ones), bought on internet auction in Poland. Cost me some 35 USD (w/o poles). They were natural wood covered with some flaking varnish. A friend of mine, Marek/Stadler, stripped them of metal parts, sanded them clean and put new layer of white with feldgrau line. Metal parts were cleaned of rust, some missing small parts were replaced, painted and mounted again.

I'm really impressed with his work. He's a magician with skilled hands, you see :) He's also here on this forum: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=885

As those are not original military skis, I have no problem with using them when winter comes :)
Es steht ein kleines, kleines Edelweiß
auf einer steilen, steilen Felsenhöh!

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

Heeresbergführer

Servus Mario,

Very nicely done skis! Just make sure you prepare the bottoms of the skis properly with pine-tar.

Your green stripe looks to be a little dark...usually a lighter green was used. Here are a few originals in my collection:

Ski Heil!

"Papa"
Dort, wo der Adler haust!
Hauptmann u. Heeresbergführer "Papa" Kiser
Kompanie Chef
5. Kp./Hochgebirgsjäger Btl. 4

Heeresbergführer

Servus Skijägers,

Here's the binding set-up for downhill (alpine) skiing:

and the binding set-up for cross-country (nordic) skiing: