Opinions Wanted!

Traders welcome, although please make trading status obvious.

Moderators: Jaws, berlin1945

JagerLeaves

Opinions Wanted!

Post by JagerLeaves »

Hi, I'm not selling anything here but I wanted the opinions of people who do regularly buy and sell on forums such as this.
I bought something off a guy on a different forum and we agreed a price, there was a small bit of haggling and I told him my highest offer and that I could not afford to go any higher. He accepted this price and the deal was agreed.
Yesterday I got a pm from him on the other forum saying that he had posted the item but postage cost more than he expected and could I please send him another $10.
Now I dont know what to do, I agreed on a price that was as high as I can afford to go, this was higher than I wanted to or really could afford to go but in the end I decided to go for it as it was not a bad deal at that price, if he had said the new price I would not have bought it. The deal was also done over a period of about 3 days so he had plenty of time to check for postage and he knew I was on the other side of the Atlantic from the start.
What should I do, send him the extra $10 or tell him that we agreed a price and I have paid what we agreed on? I really cant afford to pay more, even 10 bucks but I dont want to be a dishonest either.
Last edited by JagerLeaves on Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PanzerMart

Re: Opinions Wanted!

Post by PanzerMart »

Well I know from Ebay the price of postage is usually agreed upon before the end of the deal so if he told you already how much postage was going to be his tough luck, however if he's advertised it as $$blahblah plus postage without putting an amount Im afraid you might be out another $10 or kindly say I wasnt aware postage was that much no thx.
To be honest it sounds a little like hes going to get the price for it and might be using the increased postage as a get out but not knowing the folk I wouldnt say for sure there.
Never Surrender. Your Honour lies in victory or death
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

I can only tell you what I do as a seller - If I agree a price I stick to it - If I put postage on it is at cost and if I make a mistake and postage is more than I quoted then I suck it up.

Indeed I have halved the postage on a heavy item with one buyer recently - I just quoted another buyer what I expect the cost to be - If it is more I will stand to that - if it is less I will refund the difference if it is substantial (if it's pennies I won't bother) either that or I buy the guy a pint at the next show......

If I'm buying something and I agree a price then I stick to that price - unless I know the guy really well and then I will compensate him with a beer or two at a show....... Hope is helps and you can see the underyling message. :wink:
dog green 1

Post by dog green 1 »

I'm with Paul on this one. If I've agreed a price with a buyer and the postage turns out to be more, its a cost I have to take the hit on. It's my own fault for not getting the price right when the deal was confirmed.

If you've already paid the seller might think he's got you over a barrel. Not sure where you would stand with paypal on this. Its not a case of 'item not recieved' ot 'item not described correctly'. Give paypal a ring to see where you stand before you take things further.
"To a New Yorker like you a Hero is some sort of wierd sandwich"

Return to “For sale”