Another warrior enters Valhalla.
West-Front

Re: Ruhe in Freiden

Post by West-Front »

panzerspaher

Post by panzerspaher »

The most famous picture i know of.

sad to hear about the end of life of another brave man.

R.I.P.
mm1977

Post by mm1977 »

R.I.P
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

I think he was about 17 or 18 in the photo I posted - Looks much older though - Mind - during the assault on Norrey he saw things no man should......
At the end of the morning of June 9th,an attack was planned to seize the Norrey village (tu dois surement connaitre,camarade normand !),as a starting point for a future offensive of the HJ division up North....The attack was made by the 3rd panzerkompanie of the HJ (strength 12 Panthers) ,commanded by an army officer, Hauptmann Lüdemann (who replaced SS-Ostuf. von Ribbentrop,son of the Foreign Affairs Minister,who was wounded and in a hospital) The Otto Funk platoon was going to provide the accompanying infantry.They all fell in an ambush by 6 Sherman Tanks and 2 or 4 well-camouflaged 6 pounds canadians antitanks guns,and infantry with PIATs....
7 Panthers were destroyed on the spot...3rd panzerkompanie lost 16 deads,17 severely woundeds and one prisonner (SS tankist Werner Uhr who lost a leg). The infantry platoon fell under artillery fire.Tanks and infantry replied to the village of La Villeneuve where the woundeds were regrouped in a bar... The woundeds tankists were always burning alive,their skins hanging down from flesh and bones,some enclosed in a strange silence,others screaming histerically .... In the bar,some mechanics of the panzerregiment rubbed them with motor oil... it's a wonderful balsam for burns,the older ones learned this front recipe in the Eastern Front.
And when this photo was taken after the failed attack in La Villeneuve,June 9th, 14h30, he is tired,he saw the burning tankists and the Canadians smashed under the Panther's tracks....
SSnez

Post by SSnez »

A fitting tribute, rest in peace
"When I was bound apprentice in famous Lincolnshire"
gurowski

Post by gurowski »

A nice guy to, I have met him at the Vets reunions and also obtained his autograph.
gurowski

Post by gurowski »

Hoffman Grink wrote:I think he was about 17 or 18 in the photo I posted - Looks much older though - Mind - during the assault on Norrey he saw things no man should......
At the end of the morning of June 9th,an attack was planned to seize the Norrey village (tu dois surement connaitre,camarade normand !),as a starting point for a future offensive of the HJ division up North....The attack was made by the 3rd panzerkompanie of the HJ (strength 12 Panthers) ,commanded by an army officer, Hauptmann Lüdemann (who replaced SS-Ostuf. von Ribbentrop,son of the Foreign Affairs Minister,who was wounded and in a hospital) The Otto Funk platoon was going to provide the accompanying infantry.They all fell in an ambush by 6 Sherman Tanks and 2 or 4 well-camouflaged 6 pounds canadians antitanks guns,and infantry with PIATs....
7 Panthers were destroyed on the spot...3rd panzerkompanie lost 16 deads,17 severely woundeds and one prisonner (SS tankist Werner Uhr who lost a leg). The infantry platoon fell under artillery fire.Tanks and infantry replied to the village of La Villeneuve where the woundeds were regrouped in a bar... The woundeds tankists were always burning alive,their skins hanging down from flesh and bones,some enclosed in a strange silence,others screaming histerically .... In the bar,some mechanics of the panzerregiment rubbed them with motor oil... it's a wonderful balsam for burns,the older ones learned this front recipe in the Eastern Front.
And when this photo was taken after the failed attack in La Villeneuve,June 9th, 14h30, he is tired,he saw the burning tankists and the Canadians smashed under the Panther's tracks....

And as I have had it relayed to me, just prior to the piccy in the first post being taken, he had witnessed his friend (I forget his name) get killed by having his leg chopped off in an accident.
West-Front

Post by West-Front »

4042701194_8dbc80e200.jpg
4042701194_8dbc80e200.jpg (68.87 KiB) Viewed 9297 times
Left to right: Sepp Bund (KIA 26.06.1944 near Cheux), Klaus Schuh (KIA 26.06.1944 near Cheux) and Günther Hamel.In the background Klaus Schuh´s ammo-carrier SS-Sturmmann Otto Funk.
Mooyman

Post by Mooyman »

I never knew he was the guy on that picture.

"Old soldiers never die".

The best repro is an original...
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

So sad to see another good friend passing away .I had the pleasure of meeting Otto many times at the 1 Pz. Korps Reunions in Austria and Germany . He was such a kind and helpful gentleman , his face will always be linked with the fierce fighting by the 12 th HJ Div in Normandy .
Sad to say that not many vets from the 26 Rgt are now alive , Otto was one of the last .
May you rest in peace old friend .

Kampfgruppe Sud:Irelands Largest German military vehicle and
re-enactment group
barryG

Post by barryG »

Always sad to hear this sort of news, RIP.
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Ruhe in Freiden Slowly they leave us soon they will be only words in a book or Faces looking out of photos
ImageImageImageImageImage
A.Weiss

Post by A.Weiss »

Another hero is gone, rest in peace great warrior.

A.Weiß
Otto Kohl

Post by Otto Kohl »

Great pity. Another witness of these tragic events left us.

Return to “Announcements”