Another Victoria cross for downunder.

Post by THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER. »

Attachments
_50914108_011090003-1.jpg
_50914108_011090003-1.jpg (19.24 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER.
3kp 1 pz div.LSSAH.

Franz repper

Re: Another Victoria cross for downunder.

Post by Franz repper »

well done that man
ImageImageImageImageImage
Mikkel

Post by Mikkel »

I'm not trying to downplay his impressive feat of courage and professional skills. But doesn't it seem to be easier these days, to be awarded the 'highest awards' compared to, for example during ww2?
Salacious Crumb

Post by Salacious Crumb »

Cpl Roberts-Smith is the second person to have received the Victoria Cross for Australia, which was created in 1991 and is a separate award from the British VC.
What's the difference between them? A New-Zeeland cross is very different (there is one in the Army museum in London), but does anyone know the difference between a UK one and an Australian one?
Member of
http://maa204.blogspot.com/
Kriegsmarine re-enactment group
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Mikkel wrote:I'm not trying to downplay his impressive feat of courage and professional skills. But doesn't it seem to be easier these days, to be awarded the 'highest awards' compared to, for example during ww2?
Ask Johnson Beharry how easy his was to win.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson_Beharry
My answer to your question is NO. Just ask any soldier what it's like when rounds are coming downrange at you....... then consider what these blokes do - and invariably for others not themselves.

The other Aussie - Trooper Mark Donaldson won his thusly:
The actions for which Donaldson's VC were awarded took place on 2 September 2008. Patrolling with Afghan and US forces, they were ambushed by a well-prepared and larger Taliban force. The ambush began with sustained machine gun and rocket-propelled grenade fire, causing several casualties. Donaldson deliberately exposed himself to fire from the Taliban fighters in order to draw their attention away from the casualties, allowing them to be moved to cover. When the patrol attempted to withdraw, the number of casualties was such that the unwounded personnel (including Donaldson) had to make their way on foot, beside their vehicles, as the casualties filled the vehicles. As they set off, it was realised that an Afghan interpreter attached to the patrol was wounded, and had not been loaded into the vehicles. Donaldson immediately crossed the 80 metres (87 yd) or so of open ground between the convoy and the interpreter, under heavy fire, and then carried him back to the vehicles where Donaldson administered first aid. The patrol eventually broke free of the ambush after two hours.
Easy peasy then.......
West-Front

Post by West-Front »

Salacious Crumb wrote: What's the difference between them? A New-Zeeland cross is very different (there is one in the Army museum in London), but does anyone know the difference between a UK one and an Australian one?
Trooper Donaldson was the first to be awarded the Victoria Cross for Australia.
The Victoria Cross for Australia was introduced as part of the Australian honours system in 1991. It replaced the Imperial Victoria Cross. The Imperial Victoria Cross was created by The Queen in 1856 and made retrospective to 1854 to cover the period of the Crimea War. Until the Victoria Cross for Australia was created in 1991, Australians were eligible for the Victoria Cross and other awards under the Imperial system of honours.
http://www.itsanhonour.gov.au
Mikkel

Post by Mikkel »

Hoffman Grink>

You forgot to do as I asked, and put in into the context of ww2 (or older if you want to).

Here is a citation from ww1 that came up as one of the first on google:
Citation: On 12 August 1918 at Parvillers, France, Private Dinesen displayed conspicuous bravery during 10 hours of hand-to-hand fighting which resulted in the capture of over a mile of strongly defended enemy trenches. Five times in succession he rushed forward alone and put hostile guns out of action, accounting for 12 of the enemy with bomb and bayonet. His sustained valour inspired his comrades at a very critical stage of the action.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Kamerad Mikkel - I didn't forget - I made the comparison in my head - and the answer to your question was and still is - No.
grenadier181

Post by grenadier181 »

I would assume that the danger involved and the actions undertaken are relevant to the field of combat, would Private Dinesen have been able to achieve his actions in a modern war?

I would say both are on the same level, as are all received.
Mikkel

Post by Mikkel »

grenadier181> I think your explanation is very sound. Now when I compare the other VC recipients feats amongst with each other, I can see that it's not really possible to do so.

Logic and a fever infection apparently doesn't go hand in hand :oops:
schwarz engel

Post by schwarz engel »

have a go yourself :wink: least we can buy ours
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

schwarz engel wrote:have a go yourself :wink: least we can buy ours
"Like"

Return to “Announcements”