Theft at Detling - US hand-engraved aluminium tray

Moderator: johankreig

reddevil1311

Theft at Detling - US hand-engraved aluminium tray

Post by reddevil1311 »

I realize that this is a long shot (and that in all probability I will never see it again).

On Friday afternoon while we were unloading at Detling, a kind "collector" decided that they would like to "own" one of my items, and took it from the cab of my pick-up while we were busy putting up the tents.

The item stolen was a hand-made engraved aluminium tray. On it was engraved the 49th Armored Div insignia with "Lone Star" written under the emblem. There are also other words engraved around the outside face. The tray is approx 18" diameter.

This is one of a pair (the other was left at home and has a sub-unit insignia engraved on it) which were given to me by a veteran/friend over in Texas. They are post-WWII (1950s National Guard unit-related).

As you might imagine, I would like it back, to go with it's twin. It will be very sad to tell my friend that one of "his trays" has been pinched after he had owned them for more than fifty years.

I will post a photo of the matching tray in case anyone sees it at a militaria fair/fleabay etc - or if anyone knows someone who has recently acquired such an item.......

My address (for "annonymous returns") is;

1 Wembley Cottages,
Crows Road,
West Ham,
London,
E3 3JL

This is a unique one-off item that is easily identifiable. It really gives you a warm feeling inside to know that people in your own hobby do this kind of thing.

Many thanks in advance for keeping an eye out,

Ashley
"I am a white male aged 18 to 45, everyone listens to me no matter how dumb my suggestions are"

www.reenactor.se (FHF - Sweden)
http://combatengineers.forumup.org/
Maleme

Re: Theft at Detling - US hand-engraved aluminium tray

Post by Maleme »

Really sad to hear that Ashley..I will keep my eyes open...

Best wishes, Paul.
PK.-Bildberichter.: Meyer.
Oberjäger-Gebirgstruppe
Fotos für Presse und Propaganda.
Berlin SW 68
Lindenstraße 38
Telef. Sammel-Nr 17 3988-89
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Eyes open here Ash - and an email will be going to all our members in a few minutes - The more people who know of this the better...... I sincerely hope this is returned....... If it's a reenactor then shame - but you stand a chance of it coming back = If it's a MOP it will be for sale and hopefully spotted. If it's a collector it may well disappear for decades into a collection.

But thieves are always found out.......

Cheers
PD
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Email sent to all AFRA members. Fingers Crossed :wink:
reddevil1311

Post by reddevil1311 »

Thanks guys. It is depressing that it is most likely someone who "thinks" they know what they took (ooh look, nice wartime bit of bling), but didn't as it is post war.

No MOPs around on Friday afternoon, so narrows the field down a bit.

Oh well.

Will post a photo of it's "twin" tomorrow.

TTFN,

Ashley
"I am a white male aged 18 to 45, everyone listens to me no matter how dumb my suggestions are"

www.reenactor.se (FHF - Sweden)
http://combatengineers.forumup.org/
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Theft can never be condoned , only condemned .
I do hope your property will be returned , fingers crossed .
Ropes

Post by Ropes »

Is detling usually like this? There was a case of sticky fingers last year aswell.
Chorlitz|12.SS|

Post by Chorlitz|12.SS| »

Yea some bloke robbed a lufftwaffe watch and apperently some wepons were stolen from a Brit group. Ashley I'll post up on the Nam forums and see if anyone has seen anything.

Return to “Announcements”