Inporting blank firers... a word of warning!!!!

Moderator: johankreig

hanser

Inporting blank firers... a word of warning!!!!

Post by hanser »

Having read the VCR bill back to front, we as re-enactors can buy and import replica, airsoft and blank firing weapons.
Don`t bother please its not worth it.
I ordered 2 blank firing Lugers via a link on Milweb. to cut a long story short they are with customs and have been inspected by the Police firearms officer. I got a telephone call asking for me to attend a cautioned interveiw. I was told that the Lugers had CS gas firing attatchments with full instructions on how to use them, making them section 5 firearms. If it wasn`t for these cs gas attatments I would be looking at 2 nice new Lugers all ready for my next show, instead I am waiting to see if I will get off with just a warning or whether it will be taken further.
The pistols will be paperclips and I`ll never see a refund from the guy I bought them from even though he neglected to let me know that the pistols were not just blank firing as advertised.
You live and learn but please take my advice and just don`t risk it you never know.

Keep your fingers crossed for me
Dave Das Reich
Viktor Kauer

Re: Inporting blank firers... a word of warning!!!!

Post by Viktor Kauer »

Sad to hear it Dave, thanks for the warning and good luck!
gurowski

Post by gurowski »

These Lugers were also offered to members of the SBG. But the supplied picture showed that they were front venting, and had the barrel threaded for the cup discharger type insert for firing CS or flares.
This has nothing to do with the VCR act at all. In the eyes of the law it was an attempt to import a section 5 firearm. Sec 5 because they vent straight through the barrel. The fact a CS gas thing can screw in and thats what they are going you for is probably the lesser of the 2 evils.

There are other reenactors on the forums that have had the same problems themselves with other attempted importations.
Be thankful that you never received them, and that the minute after postman Pat gave them to you, your door wasnt kicked in and you were taken away and charged.
Remember about 2-3 years ago when the same was done to several people who bought firearms off the net from a dealer in France.
Last edited by gurowski on Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain_Cogle

Post by Captain_Cogle »

:shock: :evil: :evil: :evil: :x :x :x
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

I hope someone takes your advice on it Dave cos they never fucking take mine on it!

I have been telling people this for years but the smartarse barrack room lawyers always jump in and know better.

Sorry to hear this but as the G man says - you ain't the first and you won't be the last..........
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

Steve as always is spot on. Not a VCRA issue but a firearms issue. There is a thread on possi that deals with this type of BF with the threaded barrel and discharger cup. http://www.wwiireenacting.co.uk/forum/v ... 69&t=27013
It might pay dividends to take a closer look at your own bf. Is your barrel threaded?
gurowski

Post by gurowski »

Hoffman Grink wrote:I hope someone takes your advice on it Dave cos they never fucking take mine on it!

I have been telling people this for years but the smartarse barrack room lawyers always jump in and know better.

Sorry to hear this but as the G man says - you ain't the first and you won't be the last..........
Not getting at you Dave, but given that these types of BF's have been thrashed to death on the forums, I really am surprised that people still get caught out.
As usual, Paul is correct with his comments, but what can be done within the reenactment community to prevent the next reenactor falling foul of these items?
hanser

Post by hanser »

cupinol this was not, it was not what it said on the tin!!!!! I was sent pictures and I`ll be honest I never knew about these attachments that could be added to fire other things, certainly the pictures did not include it or was it mentioned in all the emails between myself and the seller. I thought I was getting a blank firing pistol and was sent a bloody riot gun?? As you can see I`m not a forum slave so I never realised that some blank firers had extras? But no disrespect to advice left on forums, how much is fact and how much is poetic flannel? Hopefully my personal experience will help someone else in the future.

dave
gurowski

Post by gurowski »

hanser wrote:cupinol this was not, it was not what it said on the tin!!!!! I was sent pictures and I`ll be honest I never knew about these attachments that could be added to fire other things, certainly the pictures did not include it or was it mentioned in all the emails between myself and the seller. I thought I was getting a blank firing pistol and was sent a bloody riot gun?? As you can see I`m not a forum slave so I never realised that some blank firers had extras? But no disrespect to advice left on forums, how much is fact and how much is poetic flannel? Hopefully my personal experience will help someone else in the future.

dave
Its not the extras that will hang you, its the straight out the end venting barrel that will do it. It allows the pistol to project something forward (like a ball bearing) which then makes it a sec 5 item.
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

I think when posts quote sections of the law and advice given to government agents it should be worth a read?
Just because it's on a forum doesn't make it trash.
While I have great sympathy with your plight, a few questions and a couple of hours spent searching forums could have saved you a lot of grief?
Unless bf pistols are listed as uk spec and top venting dont go there. If they are coming from Europe esp. Germany they almost certainly wont be UK legal. I'd be dubious these days about bringing in the Italian Bruni bfs which almost always top vent. I did in the past but not now.
Sturmschar

Post by Sturmschar »

Like the rest of you I can’t for the life of me fathom why people have not got the message about forward venting BF's. :evil: It really bothers me about the kind of folk we go out into the fields with!!
Always keep the boot of destiny aimed at the arse of anticipation!
JDR

Post by JDR »

Sorry to hear your plight Dave

Moral of the story is buy your blank firers from the UK or like Stig says from a dealer that states they are to UK spec.

Regarding the internet that theres 101 different threads out there regarding this subject. What about reenactors that arnt on the internet i know a couple within DR that arnt online? Wonders how many others arnt online or have within their possession one of these blank firers and dont realise that they are illegal.
And that boys is how you take a penalty.
JDR

Post by JDR »

but what can be done within the reenactment community to prevent the next reenactor falling foul of these items?
Put all blank firing weapons on a FAC that way the reenactment community, home office etc will know whats out there and whats is owned is legal.

IMHO i wouldnt be suprised if this happends in the future.

How would they implement it? reenactors would have till a certain date to register their blank firer. If someone who doesnt past the criteria to have a FAC for one reason or other then the blank firer is desposed of by the police and the owner is compensated.

IMHO this is an opition that may work.
And that boys is how you take a penalty.
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

Fat chance of getting any compensation Jon.
Another 2000 or so applications for FAC would clog the police systems.
I can see some kind of registry being employed but I'm not sure an fac is the way.
hanser

Post by hanser »

Put all blank firing weapons on a FAC that way the reenactment community, home office etc will know whats out there and whats is owned is legal.

IMHO i wouldnt be suprised if this happends in the future.

How would they implement it? reenactors would have till a certain date to register their blank firer. If someone who doesnt past the criteria to have a FAC for one reason or other then the blank firer is desposed of by the police and the owner is compensated.

IMHO this is an opition that may work.[/quote]

Jon, I think this is an amazing idea and perhaps someone should push this further? perhaps a WARS/AFRA joint suggestion to the right people might make it easier to have front vent weapons? top vent in my opinion is more dangerous for the user and with our re-enactment group weapons training (I only speak from my experience from the 2 groups I`ve been involved with), front vent in the right hands and with the right training makes better sense to me. At least you know where you`re pointing the business end and pistols don`t fall apart in your hands etc. I also think from a public veiwing aspect it looks more realistic.

Return to “Announcements”