New German language section

Moderator: johankreig

Bill Medland

New German language section

Post by Bill Medland »

New German language section ~ NEUES DEUTSCHSPRACHIGES FORUM

Link: viewforum.php?f=118

Why have a German language section?

1. As a "home" for German speaking reenactors, so they can post about WW2 topics without the annoying
"self imposed rules" prevalent on German forums regards Waffen-SS impressions, posting of photos etc.

2. To allow UK reenactors the chance to improve their German - everyone is welcome.

Warum haben wir einen deutschsprachigen Abschnitt?

1. Als "Heimat" für deutschsprachige Reenactoren, für Diskussionen rund um das Thema WK2,
auch Waffen SS Impressionen oder "posten" von Fotos, was auf Grund Eigenzensur auf den deutschen Foren nicht möglich ist.

2. Um UK Reenactoren die Möglichkeit zu geben ihr Deutsch aufzubessern - jeder ist willkommen.

Cheers, Bill.
reddevil1311

Re: New German language section

Post by reddevil1311 »

Good idea. Best of luck with it.

Ashley
"I am a white male aged 18 to 45, everyone listens to me no matter how dumb my suggestions are"

www.reenactor.se (FHF - Sweden)
http://combatengineers.forumup.org/
KB Martinsen

Post by KB Martinsen »

I quite agree that a German language section could be useful, but if there are a lot of posts in German it can somewhat dominate the 'view new posts' section, and make non-german speakers feel excluded.

Perhaps a button with the option to view the forum in English (using Google translate for example) could be added to the site? Another site I use ( http://gk43forum.com/forum ) has the option to view a version of each post that has been translated to German. Something like this could also be an option.

KB
Bill Medland

Post by Bill Medland »

KB Martinsen wrote:I quite agree that a German language section could be useful, but if there are a lot of posts in German it can somewhat dominate the 'view new posts' section, and make non-german speakers feel excluded.

Perhaps a button with the option to view the forum in English (using Google translate for example) could be added to the site? Another site I use ( http://gk43forum.com/forum ) has the option to view a version of each post that has been translated to German. Something like this could also be an option.

KB
Hi KB, to answer the points you mentioned:

1. I feel that the "view new posts" will not be overloaded, and it is up to the individual to view it if they wish.
2. I am sure that no one will "feel excluded" because the Germans have their own area.
3. There will not be a button to view the German section in English.

None of these three points were raised when the Russian section was established back in March 2008.

Thankyou all, and Alex, for allowing this project to go ahead.

Cheers, Bill.
Alex
Herr Wissenschaftler

Post by Alex »

KB Martinsen wrote:Perhaps a button with the option to view the forum in English
that's a good idea - keep bandying them about. I'd rather not introduce too many modifications to the forum script though, makes such a nightmare of upgrading and introduces security holes.

you can just translate the site using google, and I kinda like the cachet it has ... am sure they will not mind if you ask "was ist diese worte" ... :lol: omg my german is sooo bad.

The server is in USA, the admins are english, and the posters are just from wherever. I really look forward to this and I do hope it blows some fresh air around.

I'll be giving this my 100% support, even if I can't make out a bloody word. Actually that goes for the english stuff too :roll:
andy d

Post by andy d »

Sounds like a good way to improve on my German.
Thumbs up from me
Bill Medland

Post by Bill Medland »

Alex wrote:
KB Martinsen wrote:Perhaps a button with the option to view the forum in English
that's a good idea - keep bandying them about. I'd rather not introduce too many modifications to the forum script though, makes such a nightmare of upgrading and introduces security holes.

you can just translate the site using google, and I kinda like the cachet it has ... am sure they will not mind if you ask "was ist diese worte" ... :lol: omg my german is sooo bad.

The server is in USA, the admins are english, and the posters are just from wherever. I really look forward to this and I do hope it blows some fresh air around.

I'll be giving this my 100% support, even if I can't make out a bloody word. Actually that goes for the english stuff too :roll:
If Alex wants to do it then fine, but forum scripts can be a minefield, they seem to have a mind of their own, I know that
from my own website. The Russian section and any future foreign language sections would all have to be treated
the same..... so a lot of work with forum scripts :wink:

Although Google, as Alex says, would probably be good enough, at least in the early phase.

Remember that the German Language sub-forums will be a very tiny contribution when the rest of these forums are
considered, perhaps most of the content will be about "local issues" which may not be of interest to most of the users here?
It would not be a problem however to start a thread in GENERAL if an interesting issue is raised, which may be interesting
to the whole.

The German section may take off, it may grow with support, who knows? It is new so let us see.
Sure I have gone in with a big splash using this very thread in ANNOUNCEMENTS, but we need to
make sure that all German users of PST! are made aware of it.... use it or lose it.

Cheers, Bill
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

The 'view new post' function is just becoming full of the many new german language posts. It is becoming a bit of a pain to wade through 19 posts to find the 5 that are in English as I did this morning. I do think the forum would be much easier to use if the German language section was an opt in opt out selection. I'm not a german speaker and at my time of life I dont think I will ever get to the stage where my German is strong enough that I'd benefit from the German language section.
It's not hard to exclude members from areas, there are always sections of any forum most members cant see. Admin just turn on or off permissions to view. This could be done with some time and a little effort.
Bill Medland

Post by Bill Medland »

At the same time it does show however, how active the German section is becoming.

But I do see your point.

Cheers, bill.
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

Then wouldn't it be prudent, if there is that much demand, to port it over to it's own forum, rather than being piggy backed on this one?
Bill Medland

Post by Bill Medland »

Stigroadie wrote:Then wouldn't it be prudent, if there is that much demand, to port it over to it's own forum, rather than being piggy backed on this one?
Alex was very generous and offered us a German language spot on this website.

Alex was the first to set one up and I thank him for that.
Tiger Frau

Post by Tiger Frau »

I totally agree that a German Language section should be available on a German WWII re-enactment site!

Maybe it's about time the 'non' speaking German re-enactors actually started to learn a bit of German........I mean you are portraying a German arn't you?!! :evil:
Ich bin nichts, Deutschland ist alles!
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

That must be a record!!!! two years between posts!!!!!! :shock: (Now that's an aiming mark as big as a barn door) :lol:
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

But should it be forced on the long term members? :?:
I think it's a good idea but it would be better for me as an opt in, an option to the main English language forum.
German is only one nation I re-enact, this is the same for many these days. Single nation re-enactment is so last decade, so noughties. :D
Bill Medland

Post by Bill Medland »

No one is being forced to read the German language area, you read the posts that you wish to read and skip the rest. :wink:

The feedback on the German threads and PMs from Germans who read, but have not yet posted openly, have been very good indeed.

Fact: Mainline forums in Germany are run by self-sensorship, certain WW2 topics are not to be discussed

Fact: This site has offered us the freedom of expression that we do not have in our own country

It should be noted that the German area does have several youtube links and photos that may be unknown to the average UK reenactor :wink:

Cheers, Bill.

Return to “Announcements”