Charlemagne Division

Krupp

Charlemagne Division

Post by Krupp »

Is there any hard fact evidence that men from Vietnam actually fought with the Charlemagne division when it helped make a last stand in Berlin? One would think that since the French did, at one time, have colonies in Vietnam. And what about the African man as well. Plenty of men with African blood fought in the French army. Would they too have fought in the Charlemagne division towrds the end of the war when man power was short? I've seen tidbits of info stating this, but info that just gets pushed aside. Your thoughts?
Cookie

Post by Cookie »

Krupp,

Unfortunately there seems to be no concrete evidence about this. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence from veterans that some Vietnamese, Indian and African men served in the 33rd Charlemagne although no actual recollections from anyone who was 'irregular' themselves. There are also no official unit files detailing individuals. I find it hard to believe though that the Germans would have allowed anyone who was black to serve in a combat unit - what with their disgusting and pointless racial prejudices. They did have Asiatic people from the Soviet Union in their Ost units so the idea of a French speaking colonial from Indochina is entirely plausible.

So yeah, no real hard facts - something that characterises the whole unit really!
Mark A - AFRA
Krupp

Post by Krupp »

I have a book that states that people from French colonies fought with the French but again, "No hard facts!" Amazing the vets that may have survived have not come forward. There was a special on the history channel a few years ago about the forgotten Allies of WWII. Mostly Phillipino and natives of the Pacific Islands. Still, they are always those who get pushed under the rug so-to-speak.
Helmut Von Moltke

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

There was a mixed Thailand man, Lucien Kemarat, in the 33. Waffen Grenadier Division der SS 'Charlemagne'. He was 16 years old. He was allowed into the Charlemagne, since he was a good soldier in the warlier LVF, the Wehrmacht French volunteers unit "Legion des Volunteer Francaies." He was a casualty in combat, and was in prison after the war. He is still alvie today, and lives in the South of France.

There are also talk of 4 Africans in the LVF, one of them being killed in action at the Easstern Front in 1941, and getting full military honours in the funeral. The reaminder were rejected from Charlemagne, but were granted positions in the French volunteers of Legion Speer, a construction branch of the Reich.

sources: Axis history forum, and http://www.geocities.com/alvinlee_81/WarPicsOthers.html

cheers,

Kevin.
Cookie

For Europe

Post by Cookie »

Just got hold of 'For Europe; the french volunteers of the waffen-ss' by Robert Forbes.

A very interesting read and is full of information from veterans of the unit. It even includes some very detailed sections on the LVF, Milice and french NSKK.

The one drawback so far is that it has very few pictures.

I will post again when I've finished it.
Mark A - AFRA
Cookie

Post by Cookie »

Nick Morigi has released a wider range of BeVo silk woven SS cuff titles including:

Nordland, Norge, SS-Kriegsberichter, Adolf Htler, Hitler Jugend and:

CHARLEMAGNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

About time a dealer got round to making something accurate!
Mark A - AFRA

Return to “Third Reich Foreign volunteers”