Reenacting Foreign Volunteers in the UK

Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

You ought to have posted it along the lines of
"Is this an authentic picture or a recreation?"
See what their response was first - THEN hit them with the facts......
Always good... and often gets a truer response
Wilhelm

Post by Wilhelm »

You ought to have posted it along the lines of
"Is this an authentic picture or a recreation?"
Would not work because "Hoover" is on all the forums and he told them already that he saw them on the "Berlin 1945 photo shoot thread"

Posted it really on the German Reenactment-Board just in case they forget my interest in the BFC.... which they are trying to bury :wink:

Cheers, Bill
abc123

Post by abc123 »

Bill,

I was part of 835 Ost battalion. They were the FD section of the old FJR6 from WW2 LHA.

We did quite a lot (well feckin' tons) of research as a group (as doing Ostie is a real kit, uniform & command minefield). We managed to find their positions where they fought and lots died in France (down to the actual bunkers, shell holes etc etc). Met some people who remembered them when we were in France and finally managed to understand the rank structure (bet you don't see many Strelsy Streloks in WW2 re-enacting!)

So you can add 835 Ost Battalion to the list. The armshield was the Bergkaukasian 3 ponies (representing the 3 racial sub groups in the division). Some guys who were in the old FJR6 (Muller, Kretz etc) will remember us. Difficulties we had were as follows:

1) Trying to actually get our uniforms and drill correct. Doing German drill in russian is erm... quite tricky. They also had Swedish tunics as part of their kit issue. Can you imagine what it would have been like if we had worn swedish tunics. We'd have got slaughtered.

2) Trying to do a bad unit well is a real problem. The public think you are rubbish and other axis units (some but not all) actually thought we were taking the p1ss. This was part of why we gave it up. The amount of grief we got was just too much.

I guess some guys will have pics of us, and I know a few have kept the kit. I will see what I can dig up.
Baumer12

Post by Baumer12 »

Personally I find the idea as an ENGLISHMAN dressing up as a bloody frenchman absolutly discraceful. Did my great great great grandfather die at the battle of Maison sur Latrine against Napoleon for nothing.

Damn you sir and your onion covered bike!!!!

Only joking lads :lol: :lol: :lol: photos look superb and aged slightly could pass as the real thing.
The Teutonic reputation for brutality is well founded. There operas last for three or four days and they have no word for fluffy.

http://www.stahlkrieger.co.uk
Cookie

Post by Cookie »

Glad you like the photos. It was a great photoshoot. Its a shame we didn't have a whole unit of 'foreigners'. That would have been great! Maybe next time...

Berlin Reste Allemande!
Mark A - AFRA
Wilhelm

Post by Wilhelm »

Really great photos Mark, I thought I was looking at out takes from the film
"Der Untergang" (Downfall). Well done.

I posted a few of the pics on a German language forum
and everyone thought they were superb :wink:

Cheers, Bill
Cookie

Post by Cookie »

Bill,

We've also got some Volkssturm photos knocking about somewhere too. Although LAH650 didn't post them (he likes the ones with bangs in too much).

I've watched Der Untergang many times and still haven't seen any foreign volunteers in amongst the ss troops in it. I think it is sad because of the many who were there made up quite a number. Plenty of draw-string pea dot helmet covers though, urgh!

Cheers,
Mark A - AFRA
LAH650

Post by LAH650 »

Cookie wrote:Bill,

We've also got some Volkssturm photos knocking about somewhere too. Although LAH650 didn't post them (he likes the ones with bangs in too much).

I've watched Der Untergang many times and still haven't seen any foreign volunteers in amongst the ss troops in it. I think it is sad because of the many who were there made up quite a number. Plenty of draw-string pea dot helmet covers though, urgh!

Cheers,
Ok Ok... :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's my job for next week then :lol:
Jon Das Reich

Post by Jon Das Reich »

New book of the Charlemagne called

Hitler's Gauls The History of the 33rd Waffen Division Charlemagne
Cookie

Post by Cookie »

Great stuff!

Cheers Jon
Mark A - AFRA
LAH650

Post by LAH650 »

For Cookie aka Mark.

Added 26 May :D

Last edited by LAH650 on Tue May 23, 2006 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
paulmfjr2

Post by paulmfjr2 »

Some nice pictures there, just need a 1940's city block as a back drop and I reckon you've cracked it :wink:
jimmyvonk

Post by jimmyvonk »

Here's the SBG going all BFC for some filming some time back...

SS UntSch. Karl Schneider.
1.SS Pz. Div. Leibstandarte AH - SBG
Shergar

great photos

Post by Shergar »

congratulations great photos ive saved some off them for my personal favourites
Helmut Von Moltke

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

hi Cookie, for Charlemagne insignia, check out http://www.soldat.com/Abz%20Charlemagne.htm, they have some for sale. Includes the rarely used collar tab and cuff title, and you seem to be looking for a cufftitle.

hope this helps, cheers

Kevin.

Return to “Third Reich Foreign volunteers”