Three Lions on a Tunic

Jon Das Reich

Post by Jon Das Reich »

Schäfer wrote:
Jon Das Reich wrote:In the UK no one minds seeing a Charlemagne or Nederland tunic because these foreign volunteer units didnt come from the UK unlike the BFC who are looked on as traitors here in the UK.
I would guess other foreign volunteer units get the same cold shoulder in the own countries also.
If I remember correctly, Beltring and the Odyssey have a blanket ban on Freiwillige uniforms every year.
Hi Kev
I never knew that and you see loads of freiwillige uniforms at both of these shows, personally i cant see the problem with any Freiwillge unit being reenacted, remember the free India bloke that used to turn up to Beltring?
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Tom your foot is firmly in your mouth again. Please please please think about the consequences that stem from your actions. Well ahead of any postings... informing you of this is becoming tiresome. And the reason this is public is because your actions are VERY public.
Jon Das Reich

Post by Jon Das Reich »

Out of interest the Brits who fought for Hitler is on at 16.00hrs GMT today on the history channel.

heres a link to Bills website regarding Alfred minchins MI5 statement after the war

http://www.bills-bunker.de/56856.html
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

No - He means Freiwilligen can't wear blankets! :roll:
Wilhelm

Post by Wilhelm »

Just an afterthought before I go to bed (night shift week).

When you rip the BFC apart, remember that Katie Minchin will be reading it, (I gave her the link to the thread)
she cant help it that her grandfather served with the BFC, but some comments do make her sad :(

Just give the feelings of others a thought please :wink:

Cheers, Bill
Jon Das Reich

Post by Jon Das Reich »

Fwbl Dollman wrote:No - He means Freiwilligen can't wear blankets! :roll:
So thats a ban of the Glastonbury covered in mud reenactment group then :lol:
Jon Das Reich

Post by Jon Das Reich »

Some reasons IMHO you could reenact BFC

1. No war crimes like other W-SS or WH units
2. No SS runes ( i know a show that had a go at a 12thSS group cos they wore runes by saying 12thss nasty bunch but them totenkopf guys over there are ok why? because they were wearing no runes)
3. Dont have to learn German ( well not as much) :lol:
4. Dont have to learn the Gemran style of drill, as they drilled the British way.

Like i said before if someone wants to reenact BFC because its their interest why not? its not like they are reenacting KZ guards, or SD is it.

Saying BFC shouldnt be reenacted is saying all foriegn volunteer units shouldnt be reenacted and dont forget that foreign volunteers made up the largest part of the Waffen-SS.
Wilhelm

Post by Wilhelm »

Tom your foot is firmly in your mouth again.
No offence taken, I hope to meet Tom at one of the UK shows this year,
I know my wife would like to meet Tom too. we always like to think of ourselves as nice people, so it will be great to have a friendly word in his ear
and that is a promise :D

Cheers, Bill and Beate
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

I think what start as a question from Bill about uniforms and a simple question from me about why he would want to wear that uniform, has tumbled into a rather nasty mess. We now have threats and name calling which is not right.
My last post [about confused nationality] was meant to be light hearted, punctuated as it was with smilies, I guess it got lost in translation.
I may not think BFC is a cool choice of unit, others clearly disagree and that's fine and good, the fact that they make that choice is really for them not us. It's a hobby, we should enjoy it.
Mr. Minchins granddaughter unfortunately has to live with what her grand father did, she is not he, but he made the choices he did and I for one wont change my opinion of him and his choices to please her. He clearly did not think of the effects his course of actions whould have on his children/grandchildren. Hard on her but that's life.
les hearn

Post by les hearn »

reading this thread and seeing the outcome

we still have not ourselfs grasped the ideals that we are historians and reenactors.

the reasons and personal beliefs of some have nothing to do with doing or not doing the said reenacting unit.

just because one does not see the point of doing such a unit does not give them the right to attack and tell someone else they should not do it

just like the high command guys at beltring and who are attendind the abbey .these units need to be portrayed regardless of what they stood for but to show the public what was out there .

remember we are at times the only link between the public and ww2
they do not all read books and look at pictures
but by seing us they can then see what actually was out there.

many have never even heard of americans or britts in german uniforms until band of brothers come out .

so whilst there are people out there reenacting certain obscure unit then they are going to be seen

jeeeesus if it where seen in a film would this conversation have been seen

why has no one mentioned the german uniformed guys who where called back to the reich from the america's or england

and remember there where a massive amount of "nasti's sympathisers here in england pre-war"
where they traitors :?:
they where citizens who had other political views.
please dont go and explain what a traitor is to me i know :wink:
95th nacht..attached 85th gebirgsjeager

have enigma ,will travel.
Cookie

Post by Cookie »

To change the subject slightly from this discussion on why Bill does BFC - He has a really good website. Very informative and well laid out.

Nice one Bill!

Mark A
Mark A - AFRA
Wilhelm

Post by Wilhelm »

Hi Jungs,

When we consider the specialized subject matter, BFC, I must say this thread has generated a lot of interest and well over 400 views speaks volumes.

There has been a few comments on the thread that perhaps should have been kept to PMs, be that as it may, I can hold my own with anyone in any field at anytime, enough said :wink: :lol:

Thanks go out to Mark, Jon and others for promoting my website :wink:
I am working on a new article about William Joyce, concentrating a little on his Volkssturm service, maybe interesting?

I am the first to admit that I have an "unhealthy" interest in traitors who fought for Germany. I have always had this interest, be it Eddie (the Gelly) Chapman or "Mr Devlin" from "The eagle has landed!"
How many of you have heard of the Kaisers "Irish Battalion" who fought in Flanders as part of the Imperial Army, under Sir Roger Casement?

During my research of the "British Union 1932-1940", I was approached by the "Friends of Sir Oswald Mosley" who produce the magazine "Comrade", and asked if I wanted to have a high position in their propaganda department! :shock:

During my time ten years ago with the HiAG (Waffen-SS veteran club),
the late SS-Obersturmführer Haberstroh made me an Honourary member of the BFC :shock:

Traitors can be a very interesting subject and if you could see all the books, notes and newspaper cutouts I have in my private collection, you will realise it has been my "lifes work".

Cheers, Bill
Gott Mit Uns

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

Thats great Bill, honestly :D

But I'd would just like to remind people that I am not 100% against what you do research wise or re-enactment....As I would not be so biggeted. I meant what I wrote, I eagerly await your book, maybe when its out you can sign a copy for me :wink:

Name calling, I'm sorry but I cant see it, I apologise if my posts have been seen as a public "downtrodding" but they were always written in a light heart and certainly no animosity towards yourself Bill - although I certainly have no sympathy for the BFC, I guess I will have to live with this. But I am fully able to split apart the re-enactor from the re-enacted, and to know that you are not one and the same. :)

Tschuss
Tom.
Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Wilhelm

Post by Wilhelm »

Jon wrote:
Some reasons IMHO you could reenact BFC
Jon you forgot point number 5....

The BFC were the only "unit", Wehrmacht or Waffen-SS, who refused to swear an oath to Adolf Hitler!
I have never discovered why they got away with it, perhaps Himmler was so desperate for the propaganda effect of a "Brit Unit", that he thought it was a small price to pay?

Tom
Will you be at Beltring or Detling? (not a threat, just a friendly question).

Cheers, Bill
Gott Mit Uns

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

Yes mate. Beltring. Will buy you a pint and you can make a joke at this junge being old enough to go to the bar. :lol:
Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt

Return to “Third Reich Foreign volunteers”