neck scarf

Moderator: Feldjager

andy d

neck scarf

Post by andy d »

I have noticed that a number of guys reenacting Waffen SS are wearing scarves/cravats.
I was wondering what type of neck scarf/cravat they are using. It looks like a off white/cream colour and they actually suit the uniform. (oooh get her!)
I quite fancy wearing one as it means that I can have my collar open.
I have looked around the usual sellers and haven't been able to find anything that looks like them
Any thoughts?
Gliderinf

Post by Gliderinf »

They should be wearing Toques, have no idea what you mean in off white / cream :?
Gliderinf / Luftlande
andy d

Post by andy d »

http://www.sbg1.mistral.co.uk/SBG/dsc_6313a.jpg

One like the chap one the left as per the link above.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Scarves were unofficial.
There were proper scarves in patterns - silk etc.
There were Hankies spotted, patterned, plain
There were triangular bandages looted from first aid boxes in both the feldgrau (original like the ones I wear) and white or off white which are possibly what you have seen.
Also civilian shirts were worn in combat - possibly "liberated" from ruined shops etc. In order that the soldier had a clean shirt - and as a fashion statememt of the old campaigner. These were often collarless and striped.
Toques were an issue item as were the neckscarves but were winter wear.

Fallschrimjager were sometimes known to wear parachute silk cut into scarves as were Luftwaffe personnel.

The practical reason was to stop the colar rubbing the neck. Have fun but don't overdo it
andy d

Post by andy d »

Damn,
I quite fancied using the wife's purple boa!
I like the bandage idea. It would make sense having looked at the type of material
Cheers feldwebel!
Gliderinf

Post by Gliderinf »

Looks like he's just made something up himself, for motorbike use, so he isn't spitting out biddies and muck. Pretty sure there isn't any issue item like that.

The SS VT are often pictured with a check/tartan sort of effect thing, but only very early war.
Skorzenys chaps had blue scarves for recognition when dreesed up as yanks.
Some Falshies had a taste for dark blue with white spots.

But a Grey Toques is what most folks would use, most of the time.
Gliderinf / Luftlande
daveydachs

Post by daveydachs »

Looks like some redneck cracker trying to keep the sun off! 8)
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Gay Kradsters on Aceeeed! Merry Christmas Dachs! Your Krad looks lush on that pic Who's the bum mooching aride?

PS... are you gonna tell the boy what you are wearing round your neck?????
Jugendkrieger

Post by Jugendkrieger »

I have one of those off white scarfs, its just a really old sheet from my bed i dipped in tea.
Stahlgewitter

Post by Stahlgewitter »

As far as I know('cause my Granddad told me),silken scarfs given or send by the soldiers spouse were worn ! Also homemade Socks,sweaters and mittens - no one basically wore those uncomfortable "Fusslappen" so their loved ones where knitting socks and pullovers!The scarfs were given by the girlfriend or wife were also considered to be a lucky charm!
"gelobt sei,was hart macht"!
BDMhistorian

Post by BDMhistorian »

Don't forget that loved ones and BDM groups also sent care packages to the soldiers.

I have a BDM manual that has instructions for knitting scarves, toques, gloves, wristovers, knee warmers, ear warmers and kidney warmers for the soldiers. It also has instructions for making vests from wool or fur (those would be worn under the uniforms, obviously) and slippers for hospitals.
Jugendkrieger

Post by Jugendkrieger »

at the risk of being a photo Whore, Heres mine

I love it

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”