felgrau wool

Moderator: Feldjager

Gott Mit Uns

felgrau wool

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

Hi guys

Does anyone know where I can obtain a length of feldgrau fabric?

Cheers
Tom.
Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

The problem is matching it.

Feldgrau can be got from various places but the weave and colour varies
Gott Mit Uns

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

Too true.

The aim is to convert my (RAU) reproduction greatcoat to the pattern of an original I picked up at Malvern a couple of months ago. All I'd be looking to do would be to add breast-pockets, a hood and replace the lining with a wool blanket. Its either that or I wear the original till it falls apart and I dont feel comfortable with that even if I did pay very little for it.

Cheers mate
Tom.
Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

If you have an original wachtmantel then it's completely different from RAU's M40.
The vent comes from the middle of the shoulders where as RAU's comes from the belt. The collar is smaller.

I looked at blanket lining mine as per my original and decided not to due to the differences - The wachtmantel (I with chest pockets) is a different model coat altogether.
Gott Mit Uns

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

Hmmm damn. So really I cant even blanket line it. Well, maybe I shall have to bring out the wachtmantel on special occasions.

Cheers mate.
Tom.
Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

There's nothing says you can't blanket line it - I am sure it would have been done - You just can't convert it to a Wachtmantel.

Putting in a lining though involves quite a bit of work. To do it properly you need to unpick a lot of seams and insert the lining behind them, then re-sew the seams up to hold the blanket in... Also making the lining to fit is tricky as it needs to fit snugly inside the coat.

My missus did it with a Lufty Helferin tunic some years ago - put a satin lining into it....... nearly a week of evenings, lots of rayon and many, many swear words....... :shock:
Gott Mit Uns

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

Fwbl Dollman wrote:......and many, many swear words....... :shock:
I can imagine mate :lol:

I'll see how good my sewing skills are (read - how good mums sewing skills are). :wink:
Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”