1941 Campaign in the Balkans

Moderator: Feldjager

Kurt Schulte

1941 Campaign in the Balkans

Post by Kurt Schulte »

What was the norm for a Grenadier, ie 2nd Panzer Div, be issued for unifor and equipment for this particular campaign? Wools, DAK uniforms, Drillich, or something different all together?
Shopping around I see Hessen Antique sells the usual Afrika Korps, but also sell a "tropical" as well. Did these really exist?
Obergefreiter Kurt Schulte
2Kp. Großdeutschland
Ohio USA
Halle

Re: 1941 Campaign in the Balkans

Post by Halle »

Hello Kurt ,

2nd Panzer fought in the Balkans in 1941 , before driving down into Greece . Have you looked for any original images of this Division ( Vienna Division ) at the time of the Balkans invasion ? If not , I imagine they would have worn what they did during the Polish and French campaigns , ie standard wool uniforms . What helmets/equipment they had is hard to say , there was so much so called obsolete kit about at this time .

Regarding the Tropical uniforms. DAK used the official tropical uniform , with tropical insignia and NCO rank tresse. It is , I think, highly unlikely that this was issued to the 2nd Panzer for the invasion of the Balkans ( 2nd Panzer went to Romania ) .

Regarding your question about DAK/Tropical; DAK used tropical as I mentioned earlier , there was no separate DAK uniform , just a DAK cuff band and regulation tropical insignia, pith helmet etc.

Hope this is of some help ,
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”