LW tropical trousers in Italy

Moderator: Feldjager

askhati

LW tropical trousers in Italy

Post by askhati »

I'm trying to prepare for an upcoming summer event we have slated for December, which plays off in Italy in the summer of '44 (expected temperature at event = 30+ degrees Celsius, with heavy thundershowers). I will be portraying a regular Heer rifleman, with an M43 HBT tunic (reed green, not DAK) - but the following elements of the impression has me in doubt:

1. Trousers
Reed green M43 HBT trousers (to match the tunic), or DAK-style tropical trousers? Which was more common? The DAK ones are slightly more comfortable, especially in the heat, but I cannot find a precedent for their use (perhaps not looking in the right places, or hard enough).

2. Webbing
All-leather, all-canvas (DAK), or a mixture? I will be portraying a generic Heer soldier from one of the divisions tasked with delaying the Allies through the various lines - Gothic, Hitler, etc - and I'm not sure what equipment issue was most common for them.

I am struggling to find any decent pics of the period, any help will be appreciated - even just pointers to a reference source will be great. Thanks.
"Klagt nicht - Kämpft!"
christiandbn

Re: LW tropical trousers in Italy

Post by christiandbn »

John,

bear in mind that western Europe at the time did not have adequate cotton supply, and while Tropical uniforms were produced till the end of the war, I don't think that these were in ample supplies. However, Linen was quite readily available and HBT uniforms were more popular later in the war.

I also believe that an HBT trousers would be more realistic with an HBT jacket.

I agree, pics are hard to find, but I haven't seen many photos with mixed field gear. I'd keep same combo of material for the webbing, with the slight exception of the small straps.
The fighter must seek battle in the air. Luftwaffe Supplies
askhati

Re: LW tropical trousers in Italy

Post by askhati »

Thanks Chris, the cotton comment makes sense. Will keep looking for now.
"Klagt nicht - Kämpft!"

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”