M44 breast eagle

Moderator: Feldjager

askhati

M44 breast eagle

Post by askhati »

I am looking for some advice on the M44 breast eagle - the triangular design, usually seen on the M44 tunic. I'm not even 100% sure whether it was known as the M44 breast eagle, but that was the designation which stuck in my mind.

Anyway. I am looking for info on the following:
- Around what date was this breast eagle design first introduced into common use?
- Would it ever have been applied to the M43 HBT tunics, or was it an M44-only design?
- (as a somewhat related sub-question to the one above: what manner of breast/arm eagle was used on Liebermuster, if any?)

I am in the process of designing a new late-war M43 HBT tunic for a sani impression, and wanted to check whether the triangular design could replace the regular mid-war grey-on-field-grey Heer design. Thanks in advance.
"Klagt nicht - Kämpft!"
Brigardefuhrer

Re: M44 breast eagle

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

Going by German army uniforms and insignia by Brian L Davis,the M44 field blouse was introduced on the 25th September 1944.The triangular bevo eagle is refered to as an economy pattern.Standard pattern eagles were also worn on this tunic.John
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
askhati

Post by askhati »

Ta. Any idea on when the economy eagle was introduced?
"Klagt nicht - Kämpft!"
Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

If the tunic was introduced sept;1944,then I would assume the insignia was introduced around the same time.I see now you want an eagle for an HBT tunic,on WAF I found HBT tunics with standard,late and printed eagles.This is a late war eagle found on HBT tunics(its also refered to as a 'shirt 'eagle)and M43 wool tunics.
DSCF2777 (640x425).jpg
DSCF2777 (640x425).jpg (177.57 KiB) Viewed 5107 times
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
Pz Gren Hoffmann

Post by Pz Gren Hoffmann »

The trapzoid "M44" eagles can be found on a lot of M43, and even occationally on M42 tunics, not sure on the exact date of issue, but i heard somewere that it was some time in 43.
But M43's were produced right up to the end, and i would guess some M42 were aswell, i know the SS M42's were at least.

It was also quite common for the regular eagle to be sewn on as a trapzoid aswell, that can even be seen on M44's
askhati

Post by askhati »

The trapezoid DOES save a lot of time in the sewing department, to be honest...
"Klagt nicht - Kämpft!"
last drop of blood

Post by last drop of blood »

askhati wrote:I am looking for some advice on the M44 breast eagle - the triangular design, usually seen on the M44 tunic. I'm not even 100% sure whether it was known as the M44 breast eagle, but that was the designation which stuck in my mind.

Anyway. I am looking for info on the following:
- Around what date was this breast eagle design first introduced into common use?
- Would it ever have been applied to the M43 HBT tunics, or was it an M44-only design?
- (as a somewhat related sub-question to the one above: what manner of breast/arm eagle was used on Liebermuster, if any?)

I am in the process of designing a new late-war M43 HBT tunic for a sani impression, and wanted to check whether the triangular design could replace the regular mid-war grey-on-field-grey Heer design. Thanks in advance.
:) though there are many eagles in the hat, the sleeve of the uniform, I like the eagle of the breast much more.
It close to the heart.

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”