Richard Underwood boots

Moderator: Feldjager

rsvpiper

Re: Richard Underwood boots

Post by rsvpiper »

Steiner wrote:That looks like an "iron" dye, which does not properly cover glossy leather (can't think of the proper name). I did the same thing when I bought some undyed boots (not from RAU) and decided to dye them black. It is easily solved by buying a good black shoe dye - quicker and cheaper than trying to return them.
That's ok BUT the vendor is still passing sub standard kit out to you and me the paying public! These are not serviceable. dye em by all means but properly. I very much doubt Richard would turn out with those on his feet
Panzer Wittman

Post by Panzer Wittman »

I would quite happily re dye them but I doubt anything I put on it will penetrate what's already on there and I'm not certain about how to strip this shit off. As said it's like a PVA rubber paint
erikbozwo2

Post by erikbozwo2 »

A couple more rounds of steel wool vinegar dye would do. These where originally undied when issued. Soldiers themselves had to polish them to black.

A soldier wouldn't complain for getting good quality boots. These are well made and are the same quality as the legendary polish made low boots.

Come on, do the elbow grease and finish the boots. You want to be a soldier?
CDB taking it way too serious!
saddler

Post by saddler »

From the looks of them, I'd strip off the present dye?/paint, using wire wool, then apply an alcohol based black dye

A slower more period correct approach would be the same as above, but use black polish instead of the dye
Panzer Wittman

Post by Panzer Wittman »

erikbozwo2 wrote:A couple more rounds of steel wool vinegar dye would do. These where originally undied when issued. Soldiers themselves had to polish them to black.

A soldier wouldn't complain for getting good quality boots. These are well made and are the same quality as the legendary polish made low boots.

First of all cheers for the advice. I appreciate it's given in good will and please accept i am genuinely not being pissy in my reply. I have been doing this a while and i am well versed in how boots came and steel wool/vinegar dying. I have used such a technique on plain boots before.
This stuff is not like any steel wool finish.
As i have said it is like a rubber coating and is peeling like a bad suntan. When it peels off there is absolutely NO penetration into the leather below. Doesn't sound or look like any steel wool treatment ive ever seen or done myslef?! Dying that doesnt dye and forms only a surface coating? Paint yes, dye no.
I would happily finish them off myself, but once again this is not like any dye i have seen. If it is indeed a crap attempt at steel wooling then there must be some coating on the leather underneath stopping any actual dying occuring.
Attached are a couple of pics showing the rubbery peeling.
I have no complaints with the construction but i am not a soldier complaining about my real issue boots or having to finish them myself. I am a reenactor paying good money for a badly finished product - no excuses for it. I would happily take a plain pair to finish myself but this is pure shoddy selling.
Attachments
boot2 (450x800).jpg
boot2 (450x800).jpg (207.07 KiB) Viewed 4599 times
boot1 (450x800).jpg
boot1 (450x800).jpg (225.69 KiB) Viewed 4599 times
saddler

Post by saddler »

From the pics it looks like the leather colour is not the result of a vat dying process, but an aftermarket commercial one

The description sounds like an acrylic type dye, which is not too dissimilar to an acrylic paint...I have some here.
Used correctly it is ok, but if the product is close to the end of its usable life or has not been stored correctly, then you can get patchy results.
It may also have been applied to a leather surface that had not been correctly prepped.

Strip it off, or send them back for exchange
rsvpiper

Post by rsvpiper »

Panzer Wittman wrote:
erikbozwo2 wrote:A couple more rounds of steel wool vinegar dye would do. These where originally undied when issued. Soldiers themselves had to polish them to black.

First of all cheers for the advice. I appreciate it's given in good will and please accept i am genuinely not being pissy in my reply. I have been doing this a while and i am well versed in how boots came and steel wool/vinegar dying. I have used such a technique on plain boots before.
This stuff is not like any steel wool finish.
As i have said it is like a rubber coating and is peeling like a bad suntan. When it peels off there is absolutely NO penetration into the leather below. Doesn't sound or look like any steel wool treatment ive ever seen or done myslef?! Dying that doesnt dye and forms only a surface coating? Paint yes, dye no.
I would happily finish them off myself, but once again this is not like any dye i have seen. If it is indeed a crap attempt at steel wooling then there must be some coating on the leather underneath stopping any actual dying occuring.
Attached are a couple of pics showing the rubbery peeling.
I have no complaints with the construction but i am not a soldier complaining about my real issue boots or having to finish them myself. I am a reenactor paying good money for a badly finished product - no excuses for it. I would happily take a plain pair to finish myself but this is pure shoddy selling.
It just smacks of disrespect for your customer
Panzer Wittman

Post by Panzer Wittman »

Cheers sadler. How would u recommend stripping it? Advise would be great as they fit really well.
You can even see the brush marks around the top where it's been slapped on!
Panzer Wittman

Post by Panzer Wittman »

Happy to report that rich has been in touch offering a full refund or a partial one to cover re dye costs. I'll be hanging on to them as the fit is great. He also sent full instructions for stripping and re prepping them
Steiner

Post by Steiner »

Good news, PW. I've never had any problems with Richard - he's always helpful.

Out of interest, what did he recommend to strip / re-prep ?
"Stop that!!! Careful with my J-J!"
Panzer Wittman

Post by Panzer Wittman »

Just a careful scrub with white spirit and wire wool. Then a good quality re - dye followed by the usual polish and dubbin routine

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”