M36 Tunic

Moderator: Feldjager

Akula

M36 Tunic

Post by Akula »

Hey
I have had a look around the forum but can't find the answer so hopefully this isn't on an old thread :)
So maybe this is a noob question but what I would like to know is whether or not an enlisted man (non officer) would have been issued and worn an M36 tunic. The only tunics like this that I have found have silver buttons and are listed as officer's tunics. Would an em tunic have darker buttons? And would it be right to put these collar tabs on the tunic?

http://www.epicmilitaria.com/product.ph ... ollar-tabs

Thanks
Halle

Re: M36 Tunic

Post by Halle »

Enlisted men were indeed issued M36 tunics , however they were worn pre and early war ( Poland , France , Barbarossa ..) in theory you could wear an M36 to portray an infantryman right up to 1945 , but realistically , use it for an early war impression , other patterns of tunic ( M40 , M42 , M44 ) were issued during hostilities .

Re silver buttons - buttons were painted grey/green during the war , silver/bright buttons were worn in peacetime , and on walking out / parade dress ( I have silver 21mm buttons on my pre war GJ Mountain school tunic ) .

Officers tunics generally had French cuffs ( turned up at the cuff ) , enlisted men's were not .

The collar tabs are fine ... If you're in the infantry ... :wink:

The above is a VERY rough guide - lots of variations on regulations existed !
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
Fritz

Post by Fritz »

Halle wrote:
The collar tabs are fine ... If you're in the infantry ... :wink:
These tabs are embroidered - never saw this on original tunics - I would choose Bevo litzen instead...
Viktor Kauer

Post by Viktor Kauer »

Embroidered EM collar tabs are purely fantasy!
SplinterA

Post by SplinterA »

I concur.
Instant farb.
If you see these rubbish tabs you know the wearer;
1) has done ZERO research
2) or doesnt care
Halle

Post by Halle »

Jesus , I screwed up on that one ... :oops: I was just pointing out the white waffenfarben , but , as you have all rightly pointed out , the litzen is incorrectly made ... Must be more thorough in future :roll:
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
grenadier Biermann

Post by grenadier Biermann »

Hi All there's a plenty of us Re enactors who spreading myths and fantasies :!: Doing Germans and don't know almost nothing about it absolutely clueless or maybe there's some individuals who knows but giving misleading information s and making others a thick chicken ! What a shame ! I know two guys from my previous group they don't know how to wear gas mask tin but keep correcting the others :roll: :lol: I recommend to do some research read books , looking genuine photos etc. instead guzzle lager and wasting free time . What I'm trying to say and point :M 36 tunic collar color you guys all know with what sort of rubbish is our market overwhelmed shiny example Richard Underwood M 36 Tunic Collar color For Heer brighter for SS darker :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: -what a joke :!: :evil: This mess must stop :!: O.K. Shortcut Here's the photos of Genuine M 36 Tunics The right color is very very dark green almost bluish not a pale or bright and it was for both units one tunic ! And another case rank chevron there was only two types again for both units SS and Whermacht Chevron sewn on black denim material or just a single silver chevron sewn directly on uniform !!! NO Green wool or some others fantasy stories :lol: !!!
Attachments
Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-J15748%2C_Verleihung_der_Goldenen_Nahkampfspange[1].jpg
Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-J15748%2C_Verleihung_der_Goldenen_Nahkampfspange[1].jpg (76.3 KiB) Viewed 6985 times
Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-136-0871-23%2C_Russland%2C_-Unternehmen_Barbarossa-%2C_Rast[1].jpg
Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-136-0871-23%2C_Russland%2C_-Unternehmen_Barbarossa-%2C_Rast[1].jpg (60.45 KiB) Viewed 6985 times
Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-054-1525-26%2C_Frankreich%2C_Kavallerie_am_Ausgang_eines_Dorfes[1].jpg
Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-054-1525-26%2C_Frankreich%2C_Kavallerie_am_Ausgang_eines_Dorfes[1].jpg (69.67 KiB) Viewed 6985 times
Burger Schlesien Bad-Darkau
grenadier Biermann

when the remnants of sewing uniforms are created and they are then used in everything that he can sell to the buyer uninformed and create myths that what he sold it correct :!: :wink: :idea: Alles klar herr Muller :x :!: :?: :!: :?: :wink:
Attachments
$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG (122.96 KiB) Viewed 6981 times
Fritz

Post by Fritz »

grenadier Biermann wrote: And another case rank chevron there was only two types again for both units SS and Whermacht Chevron sewn on black denim material or just a single silver chevron sewn directly on uniform !!! NO Green wool or some others fantasy stories
:shock: Where did you get that information?
There are several types of Chevrons made from a large variety of Tresse sewn on a large variety of backing material.
Konzert-Meister

Post by Konzert-Meister »

The first image isn't an M36 tunic, looks to be a converted 'M42' for the officer. 6 Button front. Common practice.

The other collars are just dusty, dirty and probably faded.

Chevrons came in all sorts, Alu tresse, Subdued tresse, green backed, fieldgrey backed...
grenadier Biermann

Konzert-Meister wrote:The first image isn't an M36 tunic, looks to be a converted 'M42' for the officer. 6 Button front. Common practice.

The other collars are just dusty, dirty and probably faded.

Chevrons came in all sorts, Alu tresse, Subdued tresse, green backed, fieldgrey backed...
:roll: Konzert Maister are you a politician ?
jlmod

Post by jlmod »

I would think that the M36 tunic could have been worn right throughout the war in both the east and west. Those tgat weren't frontline troops could possibly have had the same tunics they were originally issued with and this is not uncommon. The best way would be to try and get as much information as possible about the particular unit you wish to portray and take it from there. Even then many soldiers still wore their original uniforms even when transfered to others units and late war photographs and information confirms this.
However even transcripts with photographs can also be misleading so as I say its best to do your homework and get as much information as possible.
Mistakes will always initially be made by many and still occur, its not a crime to make a mistake but it is ignorant not to rectify it once you find out the information.
Remember its a hobby and if you want to do it the best you can then do your research.

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”