DAK trouser colour variations

Moderator: Feldjager

askhati

DAK trouser colour variations

Post by askhati »

I've been reading up on the various colours of uniform that the DAK employed - olive for Heer, tan/khaki for Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine - and have come across several references where they spoke of uniforms which, initially, varied widely in colour. What was specifically mentioned was that this variation ranged from olive green to BROWN - which I would love to see. Does anyone have photos or references of these early-pattern brown DAK uniforms? (I'm assuming it was the standard M40/41 tropical cut, just a different colour)
"Klagt nicht - Kämpft!"
Crazy Feldgendarme

Re: DAK trouser colour variations

Post by Crazy Feldgendarme »

Loads of photos of first pattern DAK uniforms in
AFRIKAKORPS tropical uniforms insignia and equipment of the German soldier in WW2 by Robert Kurtz, Schiffer military history ISBN 0-7643-1920-5
but be aware that the later olive ones looked a light brown after being bleached in the sun and eventually turned nearly white.
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

GeFoPo
christiandbn

Post by christiandbn »

As the post above states, yes, once the cotton gets sun bleached, they all turn to a light khaki colour. This is also the case with modern reproductions, if they're made from high consistency of cotton.

In essence, Army clothing is an olive green, with a more shade of green in the earlier years, and lesser shade of green later (more brownish, still a shade of green).

As for the Luftwaffe, the early original uniforms introduced in 1941 were in bright golden brown colour, similar to pre-ww1 colonial uniforms. Later batches, even by 1942, started showing in slightly less bright colours, and possibly towards a more khaki colour. of course, these varied from batch to batch.

As for the KM uniforms, the colour is somewhat similar to the Luftwaffe, but less yellowish and more in brown, quasi Earth/ Bronze colour.

Of course, keep in mind that variations existed. I've seen late war tropical Heer uniforms in the Bright Golden colour of the Luftwaffe. All original stuff no doubt.

The rule for me in tropicals is that many shades are correct, but if you're kitting out a unit, keep to one original shade. Usually troops were kitted out at regimental level so having 10 different (unissued)shades of olive / brown in a single group does not sound that appealing to me.

I will see if I can put a plate with the three shades for comparison, from original stuff.
The fighter must seek battle in the air. Luftwaffe Supplies
askhati

Post by askhati »

Thanks for the info thus far. I look forward to seeing the plates.
"Klagt nicht - Kämpft!"
christiandbn

Post by christiandbn »

Hi John,

I did not forget about this :)

but I was waiting for an original unissued KM trousers to arrive and to include in this picture. I've put it next to an early issued Heer Tropical trousers, and a reproduction LW trousers, which is very close to the original unissued LW colour.

https://www.facebook.com/LuftwaffeSuppl ... =notify_me

So there you have it :)
askhati

Post by askhati »

Ah... Sharing something via FB isn't really ideal, given the privacy and access issues. Any other way to display the image?
"Klagt nicht - Kämpft!"
christiandbn

Post by christiandbn »

is this better?

The fighter must seek battle in the air. Luftwaffe Supplies
askhati

Post by askhati »

Much obliged.
"Klagt nicht - Kämpft!"

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”