Splinter B?

Moderator: Feldjager

Stigroadie

Splinter B?

Post by Stigroadie »

Do these uniforms look like the B variant of splinter? Its the long brown shapes and jaggy nature of the print that make me think this. Could be a fantasy pattern but its not right, is it?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WWII-German-WH-Sp ... dZViewItem
Gliderinf

Post by Gliderinf »

Looks more like A to me, Interested to hear more opinions though, The wrap looks interseting
Gliderinf / Luftlande
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

I would say A as well did see a panzer wrap made From Splinter A in Zeltbahn material at a gun show here it was original so they are out there
ImageImageImageImageImage
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

It does not have the clusters of 3 green patches in one brown patch that seems so indicative of Splinter A. look at a zelt and you'll see what I mean. Also the base colour looks to be a true grey tone which I've not seen though am willing to accept might be a variation. I only ask as the stuff is so cheap it's hard to resist even for work/casual, though the pattern bugged me. Not at home for a couple of weeks so I cant dig into the books or pile of zelts for a comparison.
I've been trolling about the web and I'm almost sure it's not an accurate splinter A in pattern or colour. The visible shapes I cant match to other known examples of real 'A'.
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

I think 'B' is a totally different pattern, yes smaller but the shapes are not the same. It's not splinter A reduced, not as far as I can tell.
Classic 'A' has 2 lots of 3 green patches clustered around a larger brown area and then a single brown long thin shape. There is one [as far as I recall, not at home to check] enclosed areas of the background tan/greygreen long and thin. By that i mean loops of brown which surround the tan. The pattern on these jackets does not seem to follow these guides. The green seems to be in clusters of 2 and there seems to be a loop of brown around a small patch of the base colour in one area.
They might not be 'B' [which is why I asked] but I'm almost sure they are not a good copy of 'A'.
Are there variations in the pattern of 'A' that I have missed? Am I wrong to compare the shapes on a zelt to that of a uniform or smock? Not being cocky, I really dont know.
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

With you there Simon, it is intended to be a repro of A but it's not a good one. The size of the splinter shapes is about right for A but their shape and arrangement is not correct.
It's not A and it's too big for B so it's junk?
Fenech

Post by Fenech »

Thats the splinter A look-a-like camo that Sturm produces. Its not correct splinter A, but it does have some parts of the pattern that are right, with other bits that are wrong. It is nothing like Luftwaffe splinter B. From 10 paces, most folk probably wont notice that its not correct splinter A, but from 100 paces, clued up LW re-enactors will spot that its not splinter B.

The pattern has been printed on a variety of fabrics - most repro splinter zelts use this pattern as well as the cheap & nasty jumpsmocks in polycotton or hideous stonewashed splinter fabric.

SASAK - the Society for the Abolition of Splinter A Knochensack
Fenech

Post by Fenech »

Kurt Volkmar wrote: Will check my books, but I'm sure B pattern is a reduced/downsized version of the A pattern.
Splinter B is NOT a downsized version of A

both patterns have brown blocks, green blocks & dark green raindrops and are printed on green or beige fabric, but that's where the similaritys end.

spot the difference:

Fenech

Post by Fenech »

Kurt Volkmar wrote:
Fenech wrote:
both patterns have brown blocks, green blocks & dark green raindrops and are printed on green or beige fabric, but that's where the similaritys end.
Isn't that what splinter pattern is! Sound like a good definition of splinter pattern :shock:

Anyway are both articles original :?:
ok they sound the same, but the SHAPES of the blocks are completely different.

the zelt is original (or at least the pattern, weight of fabric & stitching is right unlike all repros I've seen) the jump smock is a repro from zeugmeisterei & is one of 3 repro's that I'm aware of with a correct pattern (the other two being Tom Gulliver & Gmax). I've spent far too long looking at pics of originals & comparing the pattern on this repro to the originals & each block in the pattern matches the originals in both shape & position relative to next block! (I need to get out more!!!!)

Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

Dont forget the clusters of three, splinter A only has the green colour in groups of 3 in a brown area. There are 2 variations on this in the pattern but its a major identifying feature of 'A'.

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”