wearing keilosen with straps

Moderator: Feldjager

Pyotr

wearing keilosen with straps

Post by Pyotr »

i apologize for fixating on this subject, I just find the kielhosen interesting, largely becasuue I can't see the foot parts, and so...
Do most people wear the stirrup under the socks, so that the sock can be rolled down over the low boot, (advantages- keeps more dirt out of boots, drawback, allows the stirrup to chafe the foot perhaps) or, do you put the sock on and then have the stirrup go over the sock? (drawback- can't roll socks down, but then, may chafe foot less) In both cases I am assuming gaiters are being worn. If not, I guess the stirrup would have to go under the socks. Or, do you do what ever moves you are the moment? or, perhaps just cut the stirrup off?

Peter
peiper1944

Re: wearing keilosen with straps

Post by peiper1944 »

Pyotr wrote:i apologize for fixating on this subject, I just find the kielhosen interesting, largely becasuue I can't see the foot parts, and so...
Do most people wear the stirrup under the socks, so that the sock can be rolled down over the low boot, (advantages- keeps more dirt out of boots, drawback, allows the stirrup to chafe the foot perhaps) or, do you put the sock on and then have the stirrup go over the sock? (drawback- can't roll socks down, but then, may chafe foot less) In both cases I am assuming gaiters are being worn. If not, I guess the stirrup would have to go under the socks. Or, do you do what ever moves you are the moment? or, perhaps just cut the stirrup off?

Peter
According to a ref book i came across (can't remember the title at the moment) but it said that wearing the trousers
tucked into socks was against Army regs apparantly, the stirrup part of the trousers was worn over the sock with the
upper part of the sock under the trousers, that seems to work when wearing jackboots but when wearing the low boot
it sucks, as the cloth trouser stirrup comes off your foot when walking about and is uncomfortable on your foot :x

Personally i cut the cloth stirrups off and use wide rubber bands to blouse the trousers over the gaiters, on camo trousers i
sewed laces into the trouser hems and used them, it seems to work and is more comfortable and less troublesome

Pipes
Staff-Sgt, British Airborne Pathfinders Unit (Ex SBG)

ww2airbornegroup.webs.com
Halle

Post by Halle »

Don't cut them off ! Wear them under the socks if you want to roll them down over your ankle boots . If you want to wear gaiters ... Well , doesn't matter either way 8)

Kielhosen were developed from the Berghosen , for many reasons , one of which is to keep the bottom of the trouser tight to the foot with fabric ties :D
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
SplinterA

Post by SplinterA »

peiper1944 wrote: when wearing the low boot it sucks,
I must say I have never had any issue with tapes over the sock with low boots.
vobehacker

Post by vobehacker »

wear a pair of thin socks then put the tapes underneath your foot over the sock then put your regulation socks on,the tapes will never move, and they will not rub against bare skin
9th SS Hohenstaufen
Konzert-Meister

Post by Konzert-Meister »

Always under my sock with low boots and gaiters
Friedrich Köhler

Post by Friedrich Köhler »

I don't put it under my foot, I just wire them around my ankle :) Works fine for me!
Johnny_BoomBoom2000

Post by Johnny_BoomBoom2000 »

SplinterA wrote:
peiper1944 wrote: when wearing the low boot it sucks,
I must say I have never had any issue with tapes over the sock with low boots.
Me neither!

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”