Low Boots repair

Moderator: Feldjager

Oberleutnant

Low Boots repair

Post by Oberleutnant »

I have a nice pair of SM Wholesale boots which have sadly lost a few studs. However i wonder if any of you could recommend a good place or know of someone who would be able to A. re stud and B. Mend them as sadly the sole has come away from the leather on the bottom. As these claim to be made like the originals they are pegged to the sole with a separate piece of leather. The Pics are below to show what has happened. Any help would be appreciated. Can a local shoe smith do this or does it need someone more specialized person. Would like to get this done before the season starts. I would rather get them mended than re studded that can wait as not too many are missing.

Sorry about pic quality, only had my phone handy to take pics.

Also does anyone know any good places to get some hobnails.

Thanks guys in advance for any help.
Wir Fahren Gegen Engelland

PanzerGrenadier (Driver)
902 Panzer Lehr
erikbozwo2

Re: Low Boots repair

Post by erikbozwo2 »

I had the same problem with one of my Berger Schnurschuhe some while ago. But what do you want after 5 years of carnage. They still serve me well.

1. Remove the rest of the half sole completely by pulling.

2. Clean the main and the half sole with turpentine.

3. Image
Use Bison kit ( or any that is the same, I don't know if the UK stores carry this brand ), and apply to both the surfaces. Let it dry for 10 minutes(!!!!!) before applying!

4. Press the halfsole back on it's original place and clamp the sole and the mainsole together. You can use a vice and 2 wooden planks that are as wide as the sole or wider. It is ok if you "flat" the shoe, if the leather is plyable it should be allright. Let it sit for about 4-5 hours.

5. you need a cobblers last for this one! Take out any insoles first! You would need small 1 inch nails and tap them in the way you would see the wood peg pattern. The nails need to be a length that is longer then the thickness and the mainsole combined, but not too long. 2-3mm extra would be fine. Any nails that are longer then the halfsole, main sole and inner-main sole will bend on the last so it won't hurt your feet.
Here is a good pattern for the small nails!

Kind Regards,

Frederik
CDB taking it way too serious!
grenadier Biermann

Post by grenadier Biermann »

Oberleutnant wrote:I have a nice pair of SM Wholesale boots which have sadly lost a few studs. However i wonder if any of you could recommend a good place or know of someone who would be able to A. re stud and B. Mend them as sadly the sole has come away from the leather on the bottom. As these claim to be made like the originals they are pegged to the sole with a separate piece of leather. The Pics are below to show what has happened. Any help would be appreciated. Can a local shoe smith do this or does it need someone more specialized person. Would like to get this done before the season starts. I would rather get them mended than re studded that can wait as not too many are missing.

Sorry about pic quality, only had my phone handy to take pics.

Also does anyone know any good places to get some hobnails.

Thanks guys in advance for any help.
I'm afraid you need a proper shoemaker not a glue ! I had a same problem my boots were completely done :( I've sent them to country of origin and result :D :) :wink: :D :lol: :D :wink:
Attachments
f3860714.jpg
f3860714.jpg (17.62 KiB) Viewed 7210 times
Burger Schlesien Bad-Darkau
GraemeMac

Post by GraemeMac »

Arthur, please see this thread re-hobnails and SMW boots; viewtopic.php?f=24&t=21149 not good news im afraid. The long term answer may be a new half sole, and using original hobnails.

With regards to the splitting, the nails will work as erikbozwo2 has said.

A proper shoe maker may be able to help - most probably won't be able to do wooden pegs these days though.

They can be done though Your boots are positively in good condition compared to these which I resurrected last year....

erikbozwo2 wrote: Pyotr, please don't take any advice from peiper.
rsvpiper

Post by rsvpiper »

How about pinging a pm to svec or via http://www.koutny-cz.cz/en/kontakt/ he makes these types of boots and as a shoe/boot maker would i imagine be able to help he will want pictures good ones if you can.
peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

Try your local cobblers you may be surprised, mine resoled my jackboots and after supplying
some original studs and heel irons i bought from ebay they put them on for me for a small fee
Pipes :)
Staff-Sgt, British Airborne Pathfinders Unit (Ex SBG)

ww2airbornegroup.webs.com
grenadier Biermann

Post by grenadier Biermann »

:wink: previously file was to big to add .
Attachments
photo 4_PerfectPhoto.cz_2014-01-12 17-23-24.jpg
photo 4_PerfectPhoto.cz_2014-01-12 17-23-24.jpg (70.79 KiB) Viewed 7181 times
photo 2_PerfectPhoto.cz_2014-01-12 17-21-52.jpg
photo 2_PerfectPhoto.cz_2014-01-12 17-21-52.jpg (73.91 KiB) Viewed 7181 times
Burger Schlesien Bad-Darkau
Oberleutnant

Post by Oberleutnant »

Thanks for all your help guys. I may pop down to my local cobbler first and see what he says, if that seems to fail I will try what Erik said. I'm not too bothered about the wood pegging I think for this day and age maybe nails will seem more sensible. Plus last longer. Lol. Plus who looks at the bottom of your boots. Lol.

Lovely boots though, very comfortable. Thanks again guys I will try my local cobbler and see what he can do.

Anyone know a good place for hobnails? Ebay I'm guessing. Seems to be a seller on there with them.

Thanks.

PanzerGrenadier (Driver)
902 Panzer Lehr
Konzert-Meister

Post by Konzert-Meister »

My thoughts on nails instead of wooden pegs. Wooden pegs were used on originals, so that's a good reason for a start. My actual thought is leather and wooden pegged soles will expand and contract together, keeping everything tight. If one uses nails, the leather will expand when in dryer conditions and the metal wont. Small nail in big hole, not going to work.
GraemeMac

Post by GraemeMac »

You'd be surprised how resiliant wooden pegs are, even 70 odd years old they can be good as new. And the above post is bang on, pegs, driven in at a slight angle will hold tight....like tent pegs.
Halle

Post by Halle »

If they had wooden pegs to start with , stick with em ... Nails and glue never work for long ..

And if they're from a quality supplier ( eg Joky or the like ) , send em back for repairs 8)
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

There is a Cobbler in Aldershot who does the miltary's boot repairs, did my officers boot very well, email or pm me for details,
This is not a job for a normal cobbler!!!!!!!!
graham
Oberleutnant

Post by Oberleutnant »

GraemeMac wrote:You'd be surprised how resiliant wooden pegs are, even 70 odd years old they can be good as new. And the above post is bang on, pegs, driven in at a slight angle will hold tight....like tent pegs.
Konzert-Meister wrote:My thoughts on nails instead of wooden pegs. Wooden pegs were used on originals, so that's a good reason for a start. My actual thought is leather and wooden pegged soles will expand and contract together, keeping everything tight. If one uses nails, the leather will expand when in dryer conditions and the metal wont. Small nail in big hole, not going to work.
Try guys. Very true. Didn't really think of it like that. Thank you very much again for your advice and input.

Graham PM sent.

Thanks

PanzerGrenadier (Driver)
902 Panzer Lehr
erikbozwo2

Post by erikbozwo2 »

Konzert-Meister wrote:My thoughts on nails instead of wooden pegs. Wooden pegs were used on originals, so that's a good reason for a start. My actual thought is leather and wooden pegged soles will expand and contract together, keeping everything tight. If one uses nails, the leather will expand when in dryer conditions and the metal wont. Small nail in big hole, not going to work.
True to that. But i've seen some originals have repairs made with steel nails. Next to that it's that I found in my "kompanie schuster" box that was filled to the top. Metal nails where available and used. Wooden nails where available too, but are a pain in the ass to put in used leather.

I use metal nails to repair soles, easy, effective and you don't break them when you hit them and you don't have to make a hole before you can even think of hammering one in.

GraemeMac does a good job as far as I can see. Only thing i'd suggest is using the correct heels and a thicker halfsole. But still, very- very nice resole job!
CDB taking it way too serious!
GraemeMac

Post by GraemeMac »

erikbozwo2 wrote:

GraemeMac does a good job as far as I can see. Only thing i'd suggest is using the correct heels and a thicker halfsole. But still, very- very nice resole job!

Thanks. I only did half soles, the heels, while not 100% correct, were servicable and my group mate was happy with them so I didnt touch them.

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”